The best adventure travel boots.

yfarm

Observer
I was on a hunt in late January in a remote mountainous part of New Mexico and my partner was wearing a pr of Cabelas hiking boots with a rubber rand around the base of the upper, near new. He had worn the boots at that point for several months of light intermittent use, we were on a moderately steep loose scree slope typical of the terrain we had been in for the week. It was a 3 hr hike in down a canyon with dry falls, large boulders etc. the boots soles both delaminated, one completely the other partially. I wrapped paracord around both as well as cutting holes in the completely detached sole to create a sandal I then tied to the upper. I was wearing a pr old school Chippewa 6“ work boots with yellow label Vibram that are stitched and glued. Those took the abuse and are no worse for wear. I read reviews of different high end trekking, light mountaineering boots and most have at least one review that speaks of sole delamination. Name the brand, it seems to happen. Is this simply a function of the migration to glued or molded construction rather than stitched? This was a potential disaster given the weather and location at the time. He was carrying a 75lb pack with poor stability and a 3 hr walk out. Fortunately we got out before nightfall. He plans to buy Lowa Tibets next.

Last edited:
A couple flavors for you guys; hope this helps. "ALL" of my shoes have SuperFeet Green inserts no matter how they come from the brand. Never put a price on your feet and foot care!

I have Danner Trail 2650 Mid's for just cruising around when the weather sucks or I am up in the mountain towns. Casual look and wear, extremely comfy and can street or trail with them.

Danner 2650 Mid w/Green SuperFeet Insoles

Salomon Speed Assault mid because they are built exactly off the SpeedCross which I have hundreds of ultra trail running miles in. Best traction, extremely great water protection and drying and like wearing running shoes with a tad of ankle support. Use them for some work purposes in my old life and have a few combat deployments on them. Run, hike, casual wear, fight, shoot, move, and communicate all in one.

Salomon Speed Assault w/Green SuperFeet Insoles

Altra Lone Peak Mid's (can get in waterproof or mesh) because they are also built off a very reputable trail running shoe and add some ankle support and protection. I like the wide foot box for those lovely sock preferences. Run, hike, casual wear, fight, shoot, move, and communicate all in one.

Altra Lone Peak 4.0 Mid's w/Green SuperFeet Insoles

perterra

Adventurer
I picked up a pair of Reeboks for summer, surprised they are as inexpensive and as comfortable. They are kinda heavy, but not hot and as comfortable after 16 hours as they are when you first put them on. Had Danner TFX for a few years, they finally fell apart and everywhere I looked sold out, so made a change.

I wasnt sure of the side zip, thought I would not like them but real happy after about a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA