The best adventure travel boots.

And don't forget, according to the Executive Editor of Overland Journal, quality boots are more eco-friendly than $2 disposable flip-flops or old Chuck Taylor's.

Just because he has "executive" in his title doesnt mean he knows what he's talking about.
:peepwall:

I say if the shi---shoe fits wear it.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Just to keep this in perspective, Nepalese porters carry 100+ lb loads
to Everest base camp wearing flip flops. Nobody _needs_ $400
hiking boots.

The most experienced South American traveler I know wears Converse
All-Star High Top sneakers, regardless of the conditions. If it's really
cold and wet, he will slip a plastic bag between two pairs of socks.

Chip Haven

While backpacking, I've seen enough backpackers with ankle sprains or foot injuries to warrant the decision to choose the right gear to help support my feet and ankles. Some of those with injuries had to be carried out.

As always, the job is best done with the right tool. Now, if you're not going to get out of your truck and hike around, then yes, you probably don't need an expensive pair of boots.

At the time, I couldn't find the Zamberlans locally, and I like to try shoes on before I buy them. So, I ended up with another pair of Asolos.

I just wish shoe manufacturers would make their boots without Gore-Tex for those who like their shoes to breathe better.

Asolo.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I have been looking for good adventure travel boots. I think I have found them in Zamberlan... Here is a first look post:

I have worn Zamberlan boot for 14 years. The first pair lasted 12, worn nearly every day.

001_631-CIVETTA-GT-RR_big_sml.jpg

Civetta

datoy

Adventurer
A good pair of boots is an investment. When we buy a truck we don't trow it away after the tires wear out. Boot should be the same way. When the soles of a good boot wear out the uppers have MANY years of use left in them AND THEY ARE WORN IN. Spend the extra only on a good pair of boots that can be resoled. It is better for the wallet and for the environment.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Just to keep this in perspective, Nepalese porters carry 100+ lb loads
to Everest base camp wearing flip flops. Nobody _needs_ $400
hiking boots.

The most experienced South American traveler I know wears Converse
All-Star High Top sneakers, regardless of the conditions. If it's really
cold and wet, he will slip a plastic bag between two pairs of socks.

Chip Haven

And the Nepali / Sherpa have genetic adaptations to the cold, and a lifetime of not wearing much in the way of shoes at all. Unfortunately most of us don't. Further, they (the Sherpa) have to do it that way: because their feet are so wide (especially across the toes) getting hiking boots to fit is very problematic. Further, they need the money they get by being Sherpa..

OTOH, when I did a residency rotation in Pokhara, I dont think I saw a foot problem caused by shoes, or the lack of them.

RAV4fun

Observer
OK, so I can't wait to see the responses to this one...but due to many changes I've been making in my life I now choose to go barefoot whenever possible. When hiking, etc...I wear these:

IMG_0266.JPG

More info here:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_footwear.cfm

I can fill folks in on the details as far as why I do this, but the bottom line is - It works for me. Injuries from years ago are finally healing, and the bulging disc I've been dealing with for close to a decade now is actually getting better!

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Despite the fact that I have purchased quite a few pairs of Merrils over the years, I am not a particular fan if they are going to be used hard. Mine have never held up (hence the purchase and lots of them). My first pair of Camelions (sp?), which are what Byer wears, started falling apart within a couple months of purchase.
I actually totally agree with the Converse choice, although I am a fan of the low tops. They are a really good shoe and fit well. If I am not carrying something heavy or on wet/rocky terrain, they are a standard item in my pack.
That said, I freakin' LOVE my Zamberlins. I had to have the toe box bumped out a little as it was a bit on the narrow side for me. But, after that, they have been obscenely comfortable and I wear them almost everyday. I do wish they didn't come with GoreTex as they make my feet sweat more than just about anything else. Prior to that, I wore Vasques for many years with great results. I still sport them regularly when I am giving my Zamberlin's the day off and always try to snatch up a pair when REI is having their used gear sales.

Lichen

Explorer
OK, so I can't wait to see the responses to this one...but due to many changes I've been making in my life I now choose to go barefoot whenever possible. When hiking, etc...I wear these:

IMG_0266.JPG

More info here:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_footwear.cfm

I can fill folks in on the details as far as why I do this, but the bottom line is - It works for me. Injuries from years ago are finally healing, and the bulging disc I've been dealing with for close to a decade now is actually getting better!

The nicest thing that I can say is "Just plain weird".

ncgamedog

Observer
I really swear by my Danners. I wear the Mountain Lights and can usually pick them up from cabelas on sale. They are Gore-tex, full grain leather, and have vibram soles.

bucketosudz

Explorer

IMG_0266.JPG

Let us know how they wear and what kind of life you get out of them. I have considered getting a pair for the summer months myself. Weird, different, strange... I like em'.:victory:

RAV4fun

Observer
Let us know how they wear and what kind of life you get out of them. I have considered getting a pair for the summer months myself. Weird, different, strange... I like em'.:victory:

The pair in this picture are now 2 years old and going strong. Since there's no midsole and the whole point is that you walk lighter, there's very little wear. The straps are starting to tear through where they go through plastic buckles...but other than that they're still good.

For reference I wear these mostly on city streets and I hike in them. No running on or off road yet.

I say go for it, the more people who get into minimalist footwear the better!

daverami

Explorer
Really like my Keen light hiking boots. Lightweight, waterproof, breatheable, good traction, and very comfortable.

jingram

Adventurer
The Vibram five fingers are awesome... really great for running and much better than a running shoe if you can get used to them. Been lots of articles on them. Goofy looking, but work really really well.

RAV4fun

Observer
The Vibram five fingers are awesome... really great for running and much better than a running shoe if you can get used to them. Been lots of articles on them. Goofy looking, but work really really well.

Thank you sir! Now, have you actually worn them, or is this from the write-ups they've gotten recently? Just curious, I'd love there to be at least one other wearer on here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles