1 Bike, 1 Dude, 1 Gear, 1 big day

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've been on a jones for a big epic for several weeks. Maybe I'm getting nervous for my first solo 24 hour race, which looms in only 11 weeks. What ever the motive, I finally got the green light from my dear wife to burn a day on the bike.

I rolled down my driveway at 8:45 with a definite chill in the air and a good load of energy gels, bars and fluids weighing down my Camelbak. I had a general idea where I wanted to go but nothing too structured. I started with a 900 foot climb up a paved and gravel road to the first stretch of singletrack. Within the first hour, I had climbed 1600 feet. The rest of the ride unfolded beautifully.

Prescott is a fantastic mix of hardpack, rock gardens, pine forests and high desert scrub. I think I hit it all. I only encountered one other rider on the trail, which even for Prescott is unusual. By 2:00 pm I had covered much of what I set out to ride. It was a spectacular day. Trail conditions were a little loose, but the weather was awesome for late November.

Ride Stats:

Total Ride Time: 6 hours (5:35 in motion - stopped to take perdy pics)
Total Mileage: 48 miles (Not too shabby for a singlespeed.)
Total elevation gain 5133 feet. (Did I mention singlespeed?)
Total calories burned: 3200 (Burger time)
*36 miles of singletrack and fire road.

Sandy conditions in the turns made it a little exciting at times.
NOV EPIC4.jpg

NOV EPIC3.jpg

NOV EPIC2.jpg

Granite Mountain off in the distance was my objective. I made it out there, did a 10 mile loop in the shadow of the mountain and headed home.
GRANTHUMB.jpg

Self portrait ;) You can only have so many photos of just trail
NOV EPIC.jpg

It felt great to get out and link up a huge loop of trails. I probably could have put in a few more miles, but I didn't want to risk missing another ride tomorrow! I'm not sure if anyone has told you this, but.....

Bicycles are cool.

Last edited:

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
Bikes are WAY cool!

I am just this weekend beginning to rehab from a horrible year of pulminary illness.

I built this to add a little inspiration to geting off my very big butt and RIDING again!! (sorry crappy phone camera)

52130802.jpg

Cheers,
John

Sweet Pics! Prescott seems AWESOME!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I built this to add a little inspiration to geting off my very big butt and RIDING again!!

Cheers,
John

Sweet Pics! Prescott seems AWESOME!
That's a sweet dual-boinger you have there. Some days I miss gears and a little suspension. That Niner certainly has appeal to me.

Have fun on that rig! Bring it down to Prescott and we'll go for a ride.

29er

Observer
Sweet trek there Bubba. Mine wasn't that long Saturday, not nearly. What do you have working for this coming wknd? How about an 8 AM departure and we try to link Copper Creek with Groom?

efuentes

Explorer
Nice ride, I wish we had that much singletrack in here.

With all my buddies at The Tour of Tucson, I pretty much did the same but in my Cross bike (And with gears, I leave Singlespeed for the Demigods), It does feel good to ride a solid 6 plus hours.

I did without the powerbars and instead picked up fresh made tortillas, hand made bread and even got some carrots from a friends field along the way.

Saludos

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sweet trek there Bubba. Mine wasn't that long Saturday, not nearly. What do you have working for this coming wknd? How about an 8 AM departure and we try to link Copper Creek with Groom?
I'm going to be riding the couch at the in-laws house in Lincoln, Nebraska. I was getting way to fast and fit, so a trip out there will quickly remedy that trend. Beer. Beef. Booo-ya.

I might try to visit the Tomac Cycles World Headquarters while I'm there. It's based in some dude's garage down the street from my in-laws.

We're still on for a trip down to the cacti and summershine on the 5th of December. Make sure Ed is ready if he wants to come.

1speedlos

Observer
Good day on a bike!
I'm assuming your first 24 will be Old Pueblo? Great race for a solo SS- I was my first as well. Enjoy it, it's a well done race, not too much climbing, and awesome people abound. If Rudi Nadler is out there, be ready to be impressed!

Los

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Good day on a bike!
I'm assuming your first 24 will be Old Pueblo? Great race for a solo SS- I was my first as well. Enjoy it, it's a well done race, not too much climbing, and awesome people abound. If Rudi Nadler is out there, be ready to be impressed!

Los
29er and I were on a 4 dude team this year and had a blast. I think I'm ready for a solo. I'm really shooting for 10 laps, but we'll just have to wait and see what shakes out.

By the way, word on the street is a crack team of riders representing the overlanding community will be there to roost up some dust. :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles