Barbour International

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Around the time Jonathan Hanson reviewed the International and other motorcycle jackets in Overland Journal, I stopped at the Barbour store at the outlet mall and low and behold there was an International in my size for $150. I'd long wanted a Barbour or Belstaff wax cotton riding jacket but the cost and lack of armor dissuaded me. Figuring the price and that I could put Bohn or similar body armor on under the jacket the International came home. But I had another thought for armor.

4125090419_e59e0033f5.jpg

On a shelf in the garage was a set of soft armor from an old BMW riding suit so I took the jacket and the armor to a local tailor to see if she could make pockets for the pads and attach them to the jacket using velcor strips. She could and did so the jacket now has attached padding at the shoulders and elbows. Shoulder pads below;

4125090703_bf6f95ff10.jpg

The Barbour has become my favorite riding jacket in temperature ranges of 50-85 degrees (F). It's lighter and less bulky than both the Kilimanjaro and Darien jackets I have. The fabric doesn't block the wind completely which makes it cold on nippy days but comfortable in all but the hottest conditions.

With regard to being waterproof, I found that after 2+ hours of riding at highway speeds in a heavy rain the lining felt a bit damp but my clothes weren't wet. With Kilimanjaro, I'd have been wet on the shoulders and arms, though I'd likely have been dry with the Darien.

Jim

Wander

Expedition Leader
Plus you get the aroma of waxed cotten that brings back warm memories of coloring in kindergarten! So you have a Barbour outlet?-nice. I've never seen one of those at any outlet mall I've ever been to.

I've had my Beaufort for about 12-13 years without a problem. Granted I don't wear mine on a MC but it's seen a lot of use. I had it reproofed last year for $60 and it came back looking brand new. I went to my closest Orvis store and dropped it with them-they have their own reproofing department.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Plus you get the aroma of waxed cotten that brings back warm memories of coloring in kindergarten! So you have a Barbour outlet?-nice. I've never seen one of those at any outlet mall I've ever been to.

I've had my Beaufort for about 12-13 years without a problem. Granted I don't wear mine on a MC but it's seen a lot of use. I had it reproofed last year for $60 and it came back looking brand new. I went to my closest Orvis store and dropped it with them-they have their own reproofing department.

The Barbour outlet opened in Kittery last winter, though I hadn't found anything to buy till the International cropped up. About 5 years ago I bought a 'Gameskeeper" at the Orvis outlet in Hyannis. It is a field jacket that I believe was an Orvis only model. Love that to death also.

Great idea! HMQE2 wears Barbour so you're in good company, too. :)

Cheers,
Graham

Does that mean I'll be getting a brace of Purdey shotguns and a Rangie?
Hope, hope.

Jim

Wander

Expedition Leader
You forgot to add that Steve McQueen wore one, so that alone is worth the price of admission.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Not in that photo. That's a Barbour. Bad reporting.

McQueen did wear Belstaffs later on, but not in the Six Day Trial where that photo was taken.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I love my Barbour International so much, I bought the twill version for the summer. It's quickly replacing all of my other jackets.

6Pins

Adventurer
Not in that photo. That's a Barbour. Bad reporting.

McQueen did wear Belstaffs later on, but not in the Six Day Trial where that photo was taken.

Really?? Huh, learn something new everyday. Guess that underscores the power of marketing (that and the fact that none of the stores here carry Belstaff. VA Horse Country is Barbour country :) )

Wander

Expedition Leader
So do I win a ExPo or OJ t-shirt for spotting the coat maker correctly?:coffeedrink:

Thanks for the link on the sale of the coat Jonathan. It's neat that it has been used for a new McQueen inspired collection but also a shame it's not in the museum of cool where it belongs (as if there was such a place). I guess the Barbour international would look perfect with a Tag monaco watch and a pair of Frye boots. (maybe that will help draw a Ali Mcgraw-circa 1970- look a like:Wow1:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94