Any feedback about Advanced 4x4

CSG

Explorer
Based in Salt Lake City?

Close to me and prices about the same as Quigley. Awfully tempting but I can't find any info other than their website. Randy says they've done a few Pleasure Way Traverses like mine.

http://www.advanced4x4vans.com/

spurious

Here is my experience, I have one of their conversions and it had a broken shock mount when I bought it. Called them and ordered a new one. After thee weeks and no charge to my card....it never arrived. Called again after apologizing they would send one right out, after another two weeks no luck. So I welded the old up myself.

Next time I ordered leafspring bushings. I asked because my previous experience how long and did they have in stock. Yes, Yes can be sent right out. After three phone calls in 7 days they were finally on the way...

So on to the next time, I am some 1000 miles from home and have a bad tie rod. Phone them and explain I am on the road and need to replace the tie rod can I get a part number for the replacement. After 40 min. yes 40 min. on the phone I convince them to give me just a part number.

Each time calling I had to go through many hoops just to pull my build sheet.
Which they will never give to the customer so you don't have to beg or plead for a part number in the future.

That's my experience

so you be the judge????

CSG

Explorer
Well, it is hard to judge as this is your first post to Expo and you've provided no background about yourself or the van other than to indicate you bought it second hand.

Saline

Adventurer
Well you did ask for feedback.
Spurious has done an incredible transformation of his rig and is very knowledgeable about these vans. I'd trust his opinion.........

CSG

Explorer
Thanks Saline, it would have helped had he said a bit more about himself.

I just now got of the phone with someone and it sounds like the conversions are pretty good but any problems that come later are not solved quickly as spurious alludes to which falls to the owner of Advanced 4x4.

As I'm not able to do the work myself and Quigley wont do it on a 2002 van, I mayve to live with it as is or dump it and get something purpose built from the get go.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Advanced 4 Wheel Drive Systems has been around in SLC for a long, long time. One of the older shops in Utah. The majority of their business is van 4wd conversions, so at that I havn't worked with them a bunch. Their conversions are popular, ski-resorts, mtn. biking outfits, tour companies, etc.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I talked to an older gentleman at Advanced a few years ago when I had a major fleet customer wanting to convert a several new step vans to 4wd. The person I spoke with seemed very knowledgeable and spoke of many years of experience. A few weeks later I received a voice message from him stating he might be selling the business where it could affect the conversion of these step vans. By that time I had already turned his company info over to the fleet so they could work it out on their own and never heard any more of it but I know no step vans were converted for whatever reason. That is about all I can say about Advance….they seemed like professional and knowledgeable people back then.

There is also another converter I ran across not long ago but I don’t know anything about these guys. It appears they do GM and Fords.

http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com/

CSG

Explorer
Boulder I've heard of it was Advanced that was a new one to me. They caught my interest as I mentioned in my initial post because I ran across a PW Traverse they'd converted and I happen to have a PW Traverse I'd like to make more capable for off road use.

spurious

I understand where you are coming from I don't normally bash someone publicy. I have also learned to be very transparent on forums. What I said about them is 100% they in fact were very put out by the time everything was said and done. The way I look at it is if that is if that's your bussiness then stand behind your work and do what you tell someone your going to do.

I have built my own Sportsmobile on an Advanced chassis and my current daily driver is a Quigley. If you decide to go further and would like pictures I will be more than happy to provide them.

Good Luck

DjDrewDigital

Observer
I test drove a van with their conversion. It was a dream! It had parabolic leaf springs that taper towards the ends so it had a super smooth ride. I could barely feel the bumps. It also had a really tight turning radius so it was easy to park.

If I get someone to convert my van, they'd be my first choice.

jatorresrv

Observer
Based in Salt Lake City?

Close to me and prices about the same as Quigley. Awfully tempting but I can't find any info other than their website. Randy says they've done a few Pleasure Way Traverses like mine.

http://www.advanced4x4vans.com/

CSG

I had my Roadtrek converted to 4x4 by Advanced 4x4 in 2006. I would say for the most part they did a great job. Its 4x4 capability is awesome. I have taken it through some pretty rough stuff. Keep in mind, it's an RV that is 4x4 and not intended for rock climbing. Although it just might be capable-except I just might not have any RV at the end of the climb. The vehicle draws attention just about everywhere it goes. Even mechanics and techs at Chevy were impressed with the 4x4 conversion.

However, their customer service is terrible and I have verbalized that to Randy on several occasions. But the product is great. Check out some of my posting on Expo. Jose

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=494122&postcount=249

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=494140&postcount=250

CSG

Explorer
Jose, I just happened to catch your YT video yesterday. Very cool!!

What I keep hearing is the guy does a good to great job on the conversions and pretty much sucks at customer service, follow-up, and dealing with problems. If so, that's a real shame. In many respects, a 4x4 conversion on my existing van would be the best solution and least expensive alternative.

jatorresrv

Observer
CSG,

To Randy's credit his workmanship is great. Its the business part of the company that he isnt good at. My primary issue was the air compressor would stop working after a month or two. Reason never found. But as long as I was able to get it to him he would change it out. Driving up to Utah is not an easy venture to embark on whenever a service was needed. Hope that helps. Jose

ejenter

The best there is...!

It is amazing to me to read the complaints and "reviews" by people that obviously fall into one of two categories. 1. They couldn't by a clue. or 2. They are THAT type themselves and are put out by someone who puts them in their place.

Please remember... Experience ALWAYS trumps a THEORY! Randy is by FAR one of the most knowledgeable 4X4 expert in the Nation, BECAUSE he has done it all. If you don't know what you are talking about, he will be sharp, because you obviously don't know what a locker is or how it is supposed to work, and you are lazy. So, you ask him to do some work and are displeased with the result, LIKELY because you had no idea what a new technology or piece of hardware should work. If you don't know what you are talking about, but you ACT like you do? Then he will be what some may call and @ss, and it is a GOOD thing. If you can't take it. Go get some experience breaking your 4X4, and then come back and get it right.

When I have a "good idea" or a request, I just go and ask. He either tells me why it won't work, or how to do it right, or if it is just plain stupid.

His business is called "ADVANCED Four Wheel Drive Systems"! This ain't some glorified tire shop...

I have known Randy for YEARS and NOW he is a very good friend. I feel great about taking EVERYTHING to him. He is fair, he is TOP quality, and he is honest.

And shut your mouth, and he might share some of his experience with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz