Alaska Summer 2005

XXXpedition

Explorer
On June 16, we left Los Angeles for Alaska. We drove our Jeep Cherokee across the Canadian border through British Columbia and Yukon Territory to the Last Frontier. Our highest expectations did not prepare us for the beauty we were about to discover: We camped in Wrangell-St. Elias, explored Katchemak Bay on Kenai Peninsula by boat and plane, went on a bear-viewing excursion in Katmai National Park and a glacier cruise in Kenai Fjords. We met up with local 4wheelers for 3 daytrips of fun-packed and challenging offroading, hiked in Denali National Park and drove the infamous Dalton Highway to the northernmost point in the US accessible by car. Throughout this trip, we encountered the most fascinating people who were incredibly friendly and helpful; observed imposing wildlife in its normal habitat (grizzlies, foxes, moose, caribou, eagles, salmon, to name a few) and experienced 24-hour daylight. Two months and almost 11,000 miles later, we returned to California with a new appreciation for life away from civilization.

Detailed reports and pictures are available on our website www.xxxpedition.com. We'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have for your own upcoming Alaska adventure - you're in for a treat!

Scott Brady

Founder
XXXcrew,

Thank you so much for posting the link. A great story, with detailed insights into this fantastic area. I can't wait for summer :jumping:

XXXpedition

Explorer
Thanks Scott!
I wish we could join you in summer 06.... I know you're debating Dempster versus Dalton. We're partial to the Dalton just because we've been there - have not yet done the Dempster. It's probably true that the Dalton gets more traffic (certainly quite a few oil rigs); and it does run along the pipeline but that didn't take away from the beauty at all. We decided to run the Dalton mostly because it took us to the northernmost point accessible by car. We were positively surprised by the scenic (and varied!) beauty of this area!

Anyway, whichever way you'll go, you'll love it!

Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles