dustboy wants to build a camper...

dustboy

Explorer
I found another build that I really like, at least the shape of it is what I'm thinking about. Mine would be scaled down a good bit, although this one has me re-thinking the idea of a camper-shell rather than a frame-up conversion.

http://www.turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/turtle5.php

21T5_TorCamp.jpg

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
If you can keep the tailgate, do it. Reason I say that is my current camper has a floor length of 7'6" and the truck bed is 8'2". I keep the tailgate on, when I get to my site, the tailgate acts as a porch, I can step out of the camper and have a couple feet of space to move around incase I need to pull something out or someone wants to go in while I am going out. Plus you don't get the "first step is a doozey" incase your steps or ladder are spaced at a different height or angle to the camper.

Sounds like your still in the planning stages like me.

dustboy

Explorer
If I go with an aluminum sheet skin, over steel frame, will I have corrosion problems between the two materials? If so, what can I do to prevent it?

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
I would probably go with stainless steel screws with the steel frame and aluminum skin. When I did repairs on campers for a local RV dealer we would use either stainless or painted screws with the painted or anodized aluminum slin and trim material. Never had much problem with corrosion, you tend to see it more in salt water applications, like boats or coastal enviroments. I'm opting for a wood frame and aluminum siding from RV Surplus, you can get different sizes and patterns in the special order section of their site.

theMec

Adventurer
Dustboy, I started out similar to you - a Leer topper w/ a storage platform / bed inside. I thought about using an ARE vertical side topper, then thought about a flatbed w/ a vertical side topper on top.

I finally went w/ a Callen camper custom build. I love it. It has a cabover for easy to access storage when the benches are made into one big bed for my girls and myself. Anyway, the build link & pics are here.

I can take the benches/ sleeping platform out in 5 minutes. The rack on top allows for canoes, lumber etc. Here's one pic (click on the pic for a larger view):

Callen uses aluminum skin over a steel frame. I'm not sure what material screws are used.

I'm going to have a rear bumper made w/ a 1/2 width fold down tail gate/ storage system. That way I can open one back door without dropping the "tailgate".

I need to update my build thread. I have an awning & a water system now. Webasto air heater (diesel) to be installed real soon now.

Hope this helps - steve

rynosurf

Adventurer
I really like Callen campers, they are roomy, well built, and very sturdy, they will hold as much weight on top as your truck bed can handle so you can build a platform/rack and hang out on the roof. The only problems (I had one on my 98 Tacoma) is that they are real heavy, kind of expensive, they rust in the exposed areas of the frame, and they take about two months to build after being ordered. With that being said I would buy one again if I had the money. Here is a used one that might fit your truck if you decide to buy instead of build.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/1523136446.html
jj.jpg

dustboy

Explorer
I'm going to have a rear bumper made w/ a 1/2 width fold down tail gate/ storage system. That way I can open one back door without dropping the "tailgate".

This I gotta see..please do update your build thread. Those huge side windoors are slick!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about moving to a flat bed with a ARE full length shell.

This would give more room to customize above the bed, and hand some storage boxes below the flat bed.

They're built out of Aluminum, and you can get them customized and color matched straight from the factory. Pricey, but much less than building it yourself I would think

You can get the roof fully supported for added strength

Kilroy

Adventurer
Check this out, lots of room

aluma-line topper.jpg

You can find these at this site:

http://www.alumline.com/contractor-toppers.html

I was thinking about moving to a flat bed with a ARE full length shell.

This would give more room to customize above the bed, and hand some storage boxes below the flat bed.

They're built out of Aluminum, and you can get them customized and color matched straight from the factory. Pricey, but much less than building it yourself I would think

You can get the roof fully supported for added strength

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
WOW!! Dave, that's exactly the idea I've been building in my mind and saving up for in my wallet!

I'd change a few things around like double doors on the back that swing out, so you dont have to open up the entire back end just to get in, and no window on the drivers side (Blind side)

But think of the longivity and ease of maintenence of that beauty. No rust, light weight, and the customization on the inside is limitless.

Elevated floor with storage drawers below which would get you up off the aluminum for heat, or just a series of storage drawers and boxes on the inside with a RTT on the back of the topper like we have ours on our current top.

758730816_GaoKR-L.jpg

758730758_ZzXyi-L.jpg

Kilroy

Adventurer
Salesman name at Aluma-line is Roger Miller. Phone 595-281-7233.
They are really good to work with. Will do whatever customizing you want and not charge an arm and a leg for it. Example, wanted price on under bed box. Roger explained that if I needed to have an area indented to clear spring perch, no extra charge. Have fun looking.

WOW!! Dave, that's exactly the idea I've been building in my mind and saving up for in my wallet!

I'd change a few things around like double doors on the back that swing out, so you don't have to open up the entire back end just to get in, and no window on the drivers side (Blind side)

But think of the longevity and ease of maintenance of that beauty. No rust, light weight, and the customization on the inside is limitless.

Elevated floor with storage drawers below which would get you up off the aluminum for heat, or just a series of storage drawers and boxes on the inside with a RTT on the back of the topper like we have ours on our current top.

theMec

Adventurer
They are really good to work with.

I second this. Alum-line was one of my earlier options. They responded promptly to my request and were priced very reasonably for a custom "topper" on a flatbed setup (flatbed also supplied by Alum-line). I didn't go that direction because I felt it was alot custom work to control w/o some periodic local inspections - and I wasn't local.

dustboy

Explorer
Hey..I really like this flatbed w/ topper idea! I could haul crazy loads of plywood and cabinets on the flatbed, then slide the topper unit on to carry tools and go on trips! With some jacks on the topper, I could ditch it at a campsite for day trips!

motrhead

If I go with an aluminum sheet skin, over steel frame, will I have corrosion problems between the two materials? If so, what can I do to prevent it?

Way back in the past I worked at a shop building moving vans. Whenever we had aluminum touching steel we used some kind of tape (I think it was a vinyl tape from 3M) to prevent contact between them. These guys didn't do anything that didn't absolutely need to be done, so if it was me I would be considering some kind of barrier if you do go this way.

dustboy

Explorer
Way back in the past I worked at a shop building moving vans. Whenever we had aluminum touching steel we used some kind of tape (I think it was a vinyl tape from 3M) to prevent contact between them.

That confirms my suspicion. Two different types of metal with water between is a battery, and if I recall my Mr. Wizard correctly, the chemical reaction is what causes corrosion.

Here's what I'm thinking about for the flatbed:

taco%20flatbed.jpg

I haven't done the SketchUp rendering of the shell yet, but it's in my head..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles