1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

I got this truck to drive it. Today, I got to test the capabilities of this truck.

I've got to say, it surprised me and my new buddy Mr. Leary. It took a bit more momentum and bumping than Mr. Leary's fancy 4Runner...

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

I'll take back my statement about needing rear protection.... :sombrero:
IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

But.... Mike kept showing his *** all day.... :smiley_drive:
IMG_1040.jpg

Decisions Decisions....

Ok, So I want to start working on the suspension.

I'd like to go with a full Old Man Emu lift... but i'm faced with the dilemma of if I spend all my money here, I cant do something there.

BUT, I've decided I'd like to set the truck up like this one.
IMG_2668.JPG

He's got 3" of suspension and a 1" body lift and running 33s. He's also got 5.29 gears.

How should I go about achieving this? There are so many options. Longer shackles, AAL, new springs, blocks, etc. For the front, new torsion bars, ball joint spacers, drop brackets. Whatever!

I'd be ok with a 1" BL, but no more.

Thoughts?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Skip the body lift. Unless it's like 1" it's a bigger PITA then it is an "advantageous mod"...

Here's my rig on 33's with just 1.5" BJ Spacers up front, NO T-BAR CRANK, OME rear springs, OME steering-stabilizer, and OME shocks all around. Best bang for the buck suspension you can run and it rides very very well.
DSCN2189-resize.jpg

DSCN2630.jpg

DSCN2304-ReSize.jpg

My OME springs flex well out back and still handle loads well (and I throw ALOT of rafting gear in this rig and just boogie on down the road) even off-road. I dare say it's best when slightly loaded to give the suspension more forced action at speed. THis thing is a DREAM on fire-roads, it really makes me want an LT set-up for it but it does real well as is.

Glad to see you found a truck, it looks great. I just love these trucks and the Pick-ups of the same body style, they just look so great and they're still just so utillitarian inside and out. Welcome back into the 1st Gen world mate :D

Cheers

Dave

Box Rocket

If you're keeping the IFS, I would do what 4Rescue suggested. The white truck you posted has a solid front axle and therefore the lift will be very different.

If you're rockcrawling at all, I'd consider the SAS, but if it's mainly just fire roads and mild wheeling, then the IFS may be a better option and less hassle for sure than a SAS.

Another suggestion would be to look into some Alcan springs. I've had Alcan springs on two different Toyota trucks and also on my old FJ40. The two trucks had OME and AllPro suspension prior to switching to Alcans, and my FJ40 was also on OME for a long time until switching to Alcans. I've loved the results of the Alcans in every case. They will build the springs exactly for your truck and your specs. Taking aftermarket bumpers, tools and other equipment and gear weights into account so that you have a good match for what you do. I used Bilstien shocks with my Alcans and it was an outstanding combination IMO.

Good luck.

If you're keeping the IFS, I would do what 4Rescue suggested. The white truck you posted has a solid front axle and therefore the lift will be very different.

If you're rockcrawling at all, I'd consider the SAS, but if it's mainly just fire roads and mild wheeling, then the IFS may be a better option and less hassle for sure than a SAS.

Another suggestion would be to look into some Alcan springs. I've had Alcan springs on two different Toyota trucks and also on my old FJ40. The two trucks had OME and AllPro suspension prior to switching to Alcans, and my FJ40 was also on OME for a long time until switching to Alcans. I've loved the results of the Alcans in every case. They will build the springs exactly for your truck and your specs. Taking aftermarket bumpers, tools and other equipment and gear weights into account so that you have a good match for what you do. I used Bilstien shocks with my Alcans and it was an outstanding combination IMO.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Alcan springs sound like a good option. I put Bilsteins on the Xterra and liked them.

I knew the white one was an 85, just stating that i wanted about that much lift, and tire setup.:sombrero:

I'm wondering if I can do the 1.5" BJS's and then crank the torsion bars to get about 2- 2.5" or would that put too much stress on the CVs?

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Aren't the Bilstein shocks adjustable. It would be nice to have a shock that you can adjust for certain trips...

Aren't the Bilstein shocks adjustable. It would be nice to have a shock that you can adjust for certain trips...

Not that I know of. Rancho 9000 series shocks are adjustable though. I actually had both Rancho 9000 and Bilsteins on the Xterra.

I had the 9000 on the front and had them set to medium firm and the medium duty bilstein on the rear. Both offered an amazing change in ride quality.

With Bilstein being cheaper than OME by nearly $100 I may go with them. The Bilsteins are $250 for the Heavy Duty shocks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz