Kenwood TM-D710A Separation Cable

mhb907

I am about to install my new TM-D710A in my Land Rover LR3. I believe that I will need a longer separation cable (between the transceiver and the control head) than the one supplied with the radio. Can I use a LAN cat 5 cable either in place of the supplied cable or as an extension cable?

here4fun

Observer
I've remote mounted the D710A head on the dash of my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the transceiver remote mounted in the trunk area. I found that I needed shielded twisted pair cables to eliminate a clicking in the microphone feed when transmitting - there is a clock signal for the DTMF tone function that gets amplified when transmitting and sounds like a woodpecker on a tree. I ended up sourcing my 5M cables from Green Light Labs (http://www.greenlightlabs.com) along with a GPS sending unit for APRS. The cables and GPS units are available at http://www.aesham.com/

You may be able to get by with shorter runs of cable. Giving it a try should not damage anything. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

lwg

Yes you can. I have the same radio and ran Cat5 from the back of the truck to the faceplate at the front. No interference problems at all.

bc_fjc

Observer
I used Cat 6 cable with out any problems... I did put chokes on both ends of the cable though...

lwg

FWIW the chokes didn't fit on my cable, the cable was too big. I would tend to agree that if you can put them on do it though. It seems as though I've gotten lucky with no noise. More importantly I think routing of the cable away from any other electrical interference would have the most benefits.

gary in ohio

Explorer
You can get chokes (interferance filters) on ebay and other electronic houses for a couple dollars each. Well worth the cost.

DonDavison

I acquired a Kenwood TM-D710GA dual band mobile. However the modular cable between the Tx/Rx unit & the Control head appears to be an RJ-11 cable & plug, & the jacks on the control head & tx/Rx unit appear to be RJ-45 connections. I have read some the the posts on the forum which leads me to believe it should be a RJ-45 cable & plug. Yet the magnetic filters had difficultly fitting the cable in one of the posts. RJ-45 has 8 wires, RJ-11 has 4. Because I don't have a "good" cable to examine, can anyone tell me the colors & location on each end of that cable by looking at a clear plug that works? Cat-5 come in 3 flavors, 568A & 568B with 568A being the modern standard ( not counting any crossover cables). Thanks.
Don D.
Iowa.

aearles

Observer
Don, are you sure about your control head having an RJ11 connector? I installed my radio a while back so I can't remember for certain but I'm pretty sure it's RJ45 on both ends and a straight through cable, either 568A or 568B straight through would work fine in that case. I did not extend mine but I did cut the control head end off to route it through a small hole and re-terminated a new RJ45 end. I will go out and take a look at my radio and connectors tomorrow and let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke