Car and Driver drives a ER Jeep thru Montana

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Article in this month's Car and Driver magazine, tried a search on the site and it didnt appear anyone had posted this yet. If it is a repeat, apologies.

The Hard Way to Hemingway: We Drive a $120,000 Jeep EarthRoamer

the_hard_way_to_hemingway_we_drive_a_120_000_jeep_earthroamer_-_feature_cd_articlesmall.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link. The article has a set of photos of the XV-JP on the trail.
Somebody should post a comment so people know ER is out of business.

I particularly liked this line:
"Ketchum and the adjacent Sun Valley look like Vail and Aspen if you eliminated all the homes costing less than $5 million."

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I hate to be the one to burst their buble, but the only homes in Aspen that cost less than 5 million are the city price controled low income housing. (can never sell for more than a 2% per year gain) even the most disgusting turd of a junk heap house in Aspen will EASILY sell for 20 million.

Trust me on that one, I used to help crush those 20m homes, and haul them off to the dump, so some fellow can build a real house on the property.

Yep, Aspen, the home of the first 130million dollar home sale.

RedDog

Explorer
John Phillips is one of their best writers and he's very entertaining as well. He's also no stranger to 4X4 trail travel. Car and Driver has historically been one of the largest circulation auto magazines in the world and I have every issue since 1973. When I read the piece it struck me as how unfortunate the timing was as such exposure a few months earlier might have made a difference in the fate which lay ahead.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Agreed - too bad. Hopefully, when things improve, someone else will pick up the torch and make something similar to that or adaptable to a broader range of vehicles (kind of like the "empty cabins" that can be had in the EU).

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a hard copy of the magazine in a waiting room and had the same thought - bad timing on the article, but it had some very useful, informative photos and aside from the entertaining writing had the refreshing perspective of someone experiencing the car without showing any prior knowledge of its type of vehicle.

As for the photos, they helped a lot with showing the "boss" what one of these sorts of cars is all about and what to expect for the interior.

I do hope things get better for everyone and soon. Let's hope that with all that was shown at SEMA, perhaps there will be more developments here to make available more of what is more comnonly attainable in other parts of the world.

Thanks for posting this, Dr. Tahoe.

Frank

Last edited:

a.mus.ed

Explorer
I hate to be the one to burst their buble, but the only homes in Aspen that cost less than 5 million are the city price controled low income housing. (can never sell for more than a 2% per year gain) even the most disgusting turd of a junk heap house in Aspen will EASILY sell for 20 million.

Trust me on that one, I used to help crush those 20m homes, and haul them off to the dump, so some fellow can build a real house on the property.

Yep, Aspen, the home of the first 130million dollar home sale.

I think the quote was meant to be read as:

Ketchum and the adjacent Sun Valley look like Vail and Aspen if you eliminated all the homes [in Aspen] costing less than $5 million.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I spend a lot of time in Aspen looking at real estate that I can't afford.
Here's a good link for daydreaming. There are 70+ homes under $5Mil.
My dream house would have His and Hers XV-JPs parked in the driveway. :)

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I spend a lot of time in Aspen looking at real estate that I can't afford.
Here's a good link for daydreaming. There are 70+ homes under $5Mil.
My dream house would have His and Hers XV-JPs parked in the driveway. :)

Thanks for pointing out the web site. I helped build one of those big homes in Carbondale that is up for sale. Tell you what, 30 acres in Carbondale is a lot better than a single family on a 1/2 acre lot in Aspen in my opinion.

SO I was meaning single family homes, and most of the places there, for under 5million, are either not in Aspen, or not single family, and there are a large number of vacant lots "ready to build" on.

Anyhow, if you are serious about living there, I say GO FOR IT! I LOVED it there! Great place to live. (very conservative politically speaking, so if you do not like that, may want to re-think) As I said above, go into Snowmass, Basalt, or Carbondale. Carbondale is in Garfield County, and the taxes are less, also things like trash removal are also less expensive.

Sorry for the overly off topic post.

Thanks for that web site, very cool

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior