1st gen Tundra questions...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I got an odd email from my brother this morning...

Now I've got to tell you, my brother, God love him, pretty much fits the profile of a late-40's urban professional to a T: He works in the entertainment industry (he's an assistant treasurer at the Performing Arts center), lives in a new, stylish townhome in the Stapleton redevelopment area, is married to a New York gal, politically very liberal, etc.

But, he's also a hunter. And after the last 3 years of hunting, where he rode up to the Northwest part of the state in somebody else's truck (either mine or one of his other friends) he's starting to think about getting a hunting-capable rig of his own.

He would consider a mid-sized pickup like a Tacoma, Ranger, etc, but he's looked at the numbers and in terms of cost and MPG, there's not much difference and he regards the full sized truck as being the more capable vehicle for taking 2 or 3 people hunting (IMO he's correct in this assessment.)

So he's asking me if I know anything about the full sized trucks from Ford, Dodge and Toyota. I don't know much about the Fords and Dodges, and of course I'm pretty biased towards Toyota. But not only that, I regard the 1st gen Tundra as being the "perfect" size for a "recreational" truck: Not too big and not too small (I was very disappointed that Toyota "supersized" the Tundra in 2007.)

But I confess I don't know that much about them. What can people tell me about the 1st gen Tundras?

He'll definitely be buying used and wants to stay under $12k.

Specific questions:

How is the reliability of the 4.7 V8 and auto tranny?

How about the electric-switched T-case - any known issues?

How many miles can they be expected to last? Or to put it differently, how many miles is "too many?" Is a truck with 100k expected to last another 100k before it needs major repairs?

Any known problems/issues/TSBs/Recalls?

What about option packages: Was a rear locker available? Is it only on the TRD model?

Any other options to look for or avoid?

How is the rear-seat comfort of the access cab? was a crew-cab ever available?

Thanks in advance for any help! :elkgrin:

I'm really hoping he gets a decent rig, then he can do the driving up to the hunting spots and I can sleep!

jsnow

Adventurer
I have a 2001 AC 4WD. It has 196K on it, besides regular maintenence it runs great. I think the back it was to tight for an adult, so I would look at the crew cab version.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Our Tundra, Fafhrd, has been in the family for just 10 months so long term issues I can't help with. But here's my thoughts for what there worth...

*The 4.7 V8 and auto tranny are the nicest drivetrain on any vehicle I've ever owned outside of purpose built hotrod engines. Excellent mileage, great pulling power and firm but controlled shifts.

*The TRD package in the Tundra is just a couple stickers, some yellow shocks, 265 tires, a LSD and a tranny cooler.

*Here's a shot of my DC and jim65wagons' AC..

3482426917_65f721bea2.jpg

The DC is abit wider and of course longer. They also have slightly larger front wheelwell openings and a taller roofline and windshield. Adults in a AC is quite an uncomfortable experience, even pre-teenage kids have a tight squeeze. The big advantage for me of the DC over the AC besides the increased interior room is that the bed is deeper by a couple of inches over the AC. They beds are the same width and length as each other so that covers and caps are interchangeable, but that extra couple of inches in depth makes a big difference when packing gear under a cover. The disadvantages of the DC is that not all AC accesories fit (bumpers mainly) and the increased turning radius.

*So far reliablity has been great but mine's only got 40,000 miles on it so its hardly broke in. I did have something poke a whole in the inner CV boot on the driver's side driveaxle Monday, but I rank that as a freak occurance. By the way we were chasing deer all day so yep, it's a hunting rig.

*For staying under $12000 he'd probably have to go with an earlier AC, most DCs start at around $15,000 or so unless it's a high mileage one.

*Tundras are not 1/2 ton trucks more like 2/5 ton trucks. They are a bit light in the springs.

Hope that helps.

timh

Explorer
I really want a 1st gen Tundra. Anyone want to trade me for my 00' Silverado 2500 4x4?????:) I would even throw in the pop up camper!!!!!!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Our Tundra, Fafhrd, has been in the family for just 10 months so long term issues I can't help with. But here's my thoughts for what there worth...

*So far reliablity has been great but mine's only got 40,000 miles on it so its hardly broke in. I did have something poke a whole in the inner CV boot on the driver's side driveaxle Monday, but I rank that as a freak occurance. By the way we were chasing deer all day so yep, it's a hunting rig.

*For staying under $12000 he'd probably have to go with an earlier AC, most DCs start at around $15,000 or so unless it's a high mileage one.

*Tundras are not 1/2 ton trucks more like 2/5 ton trucks. They are a bit light in the springs.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input. He found a DC for around 14,995 and he may be seriously considering it. Overall length is just a hair under 20' according to Edmunds, which may or may not fit in his garage (he doesn't seem concerned about that, though.)

How is the DC for off-roading? What kind of trails can you take it on?

jim65wagon

Reliability has been great so far for me. The kids wish we had a Double Cab, but they'll just suffer with a little less leg room. I can sit in the backseat, but it wouldn't be comfortable for a long trip.

The 4.7 and auto combo are indeed sweet. I did add a large transmission cooler to mine years ago...but I add large transmission coolers to every automatic equipped vehicle I own...

I've had 0 issues with the electric T-case...

On the Access Cab the TRD was stickers and shocks, and I think maybe slightly different spring rates for the front...but don't quote me on that. The LSD was a separate option, and no locker was available from the factory.

I can't think of any options to avoid...

The 2000-2003 trucks has a lower ball joint recall....

At 140,000 miles, I have done basic maintenance to get it there. The timing belt needs changed every 90,000 miles according to Toyota. I had mine done at about 110,000. Beyond that I've only had to replace a couple of O2 sensors...

Expected mileage....I'm expecting to get another 200,000 and judging by the feel, I should get another 140,000 without too much bother....

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thanks for the input. He found a DC for around 14,995 and he may be seriously considering it. Overall length is just a hair under 20' according to Edmunds, which may or may not fit in his garage (he doesn't seem concerned about that, though.)

How is the DC for off-roading? What kind of trails can you take it on?

I'm surprised how well it does as I came from a fully locked, solid axle Ram. We've run the trails of Drummond Islamd in the UP, the forest roads of WV and slung some good old PA mud up here. The rear LSD is very tight, more like an Auburn unit than the weak LSD in the rear of my LJ. The Tundra has proven itself so far. My main concern now is the length of the rockers, so as et of sliders is going on soon to protect them. By the way, the Tundra is the same length as my old Quadcab Ram but is a few inches narrower. Even with that the interior feels "wider" and it is way more nimble than the Ram was. Remember that old line.."Give me thirty acres and I'll turn this rig around..."

GTABurnout

Explorer
I really want a 1st gen Tundra. Anyone want to trade me for my 00' Silverado 2500 4x4?????:) I would even throw in the pop up camper!!!!!!

If its diesel I am in.... :wings:

I love my Tundra but towing at 65 is a pain in the ***. Sure I can go 75-80 but 9 mpg or worse is my punishment.

I have a 04 DC. This truck is light years ahead of my 03 F250 as far as ride quality. Dirt roads are fun again since I can go 40-50 with out being rattled to bits.

I went with the DC because I wanted more interior space. I even removed one of my rear seats so its a three seater. The advantage over a F150 is a DC truck gets a 6' bed where as the F150 is smaller. This gives me the option to throw a full size mattress in the bed and sleep there.

timh

Explorer
If its diesel I am in.... :wings:

I love my Tundra but towing at 65 is a pain in the ***. Sure I can go 75-80 but 9 mpg or worse is my punishment.

I have a 04 DC. This truck is light years ahead of my 03 F250 as far as ride quality. Dirt roads are fun again since I can go 40-50 with out being rattled to bits.

I went with the DC because I wanted more interior space. I even removed one of my rear seats so its a three seater. The advantage over a F150 is a DC truck gets a 6' bed where as the F150 is smaller. This gives me the option to throw a full size mattress in the bed and sleep there.

No, its the 6.0. I love my truck but like you said, I am sick of being rattled to death on dirt roads:Wow1:. I used to have things I needed to tow but these days the quads are all I tow and that can be done with a 1/2 ton easily.

I have been thinking about looking for an ex cab. I don't really need to have a DC and my daughter will fit back there fine for years to come.

rambrush

Adventurer
I have a 06 double cab 4x4 trd sr5 it is a very tough truck but the width and length will get you on some narrow trails. I am experiencing frame twist because I really use mine off road in the rocky terrain. I will be going to weld on sliders and also a cross member to tie in the frame rails in front of the rear spring hangers.
This is a 4 wheeling machine that surprises a lot of people of where it is capable of going. I also run the Toyo MT's 265x75x16 tires
I would recommend purchasing one, make sure the ball joint recall has been done.

iigs

Observer
Specific questions:

How is the reliability of the 4.7 V8 and auto tranny?

It's a wonderful engine. We have a Sequoia (Tahoe competitor). It makes our GMC 1500 (2000 Z71) feel like an ox cart. The difference is hard to quantify in words but it feels like a gentleman's truck.

How about the electric-switched T-case - any known issues?

They're not widely known for having major problems.

How many miles can they be expected to last? Or to put it differently, how many miles is "too many?" Is a truck with 100k expected to last another 100k before it needs major repairs?

IMO Toyota's reliability glory days were over by 2000. The post 2000 gear is still a cut above the competitors, but it's just a nice car, instead of being the thing that their reputation was built on.

Because of the variance in use/abuse, I'd say there should be a lot of life at 100k, but be on the lookout above 125k -- abused specimen will start to show heavy wear.

Any known problems/issues/TSBs/Recalls?

There is a substantial frame rust issue, so much so that Toyota is buying back some vehicles. Carfax any candidate vehicle before purchase and be sure it hasn't spent much time in the parts of the USA that use salt on the roads. When you look at a candidate vehicle, look around with a very critical eye underneath for rust.

When you find a clean model, go to the trouble of prepping the underbody with proper protectant. There are examples of this online.

Good luck, and happy hunting (figuratively and literally)!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A few more questions...

Am I right in assuming that the 4.7 V8 in the Tundra is basically the same engine as the 4.7 that's in the UZJ100 LC? And what about the transmission - is it the same?

Interestingly, I was looking on Edmunds and some of the Tundras were listed as being available with a manual transmission. I found this curious as I've never seen (or even heard of) a Tundra with a MT.

jim65wagon

Yeah, you could get the 3.4L V6 with a stick, but if you're getting a Tundra you'll want the V8....and I think V8 was the only option on the DC...

Not 100% sure but the LC and Tundra engine and transmission should be a match....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior