Changing a flat on lifted trucks: tall bottle jack or hi-lift?

Explorer
Most any jack will work, but don't forget to block the tire that is kitty corner to the one you are changing.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Bottle jack. So quick and easy. (I carry a small floor jack with the wheels removed and an aluminum skid on it to help it slide under the truck and help it not sink in)

You look legit using a hi-lift, but watching someone try to change a flat with one is generally entertaining.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm curious, what does the Honda Ridgline come with from the factory as far as a jack is concerned?

I am wondering why the factory jack is inadequate.

It comes with a sorry excuse for a mechanical bottle jack :) It's made out of very thin gauge steel that when fully extended tips from side to side. Even the owners of the unlifted Ridgelines toss them in the garbage. My truck's lifted and causes the jack's extension to almost pop out of the housing.

pray4surf

Explorer
Gotta kick out of this jack on Craigslist

file0001r.jpg

More pics here
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/1510651433.html

I got one of those WabFab slider adapters and it does a great job on tubed armor...

lowenbrau

Explorer
It must be the farmer in me but I use the Highlift or jack-all religiously. I do also carry a bottle jack but can't for the life of me figure how standing beside the rig using a Highlift is less safe than crawling under it to use the bottle jack. If your rig is less than 15,000 lbs you will have no trouble lifting a corner of it. Sequester the spectators or put them to use stabilizing the rig while you swap the tire and you'll be in good shape in no time.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Not uncommon to see jacks like that CL jack at the desert races. I'm betting SOAZ has seen more than his share of them too.
The hot ticket for a main pit jack is to build a skidplate something like mine posted above, and combine it with those tires. Lower the air pressure in the tires so that jacking a race car drops the jack onto the plate, but leave enough in that it is easy to wheel around the dirt pit area w/o the plate dragging too badly.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
+1 on the Unijack

It must be the farmer in me but I use the Highlift or jack-all religiously. I do also carry a bottle jack but can't for the life of me figure how standing beside the rig using a Highlift is less safe than crawling under it to use the bottle jack. If your rig is less than 15,000 lbs you will have no trouble lifting a corner of it. Sequester the spectators or put them to use stabilizing the rig while you swap the tire and you'll be in good shape in no time.
I've never had to change tires off-road yet, but plenty of them on the muddy, sloping, soft shoulders beside highways and especially on rural crowned roads. Using a Hi-lift works OK for a heavily-laden (car-hauler) trailer, but only if lifting the downslope side, where the trailer leans into the jack's mast (for stability). On my truck, I haven't got the proper attachment to use the Hi-lift, so I end up using a small floor jack (on sloping ground) or a bottle jack on level ground. I also carry the old bumper jack from my '66 Chevelle, which I use for my small squareback teardrop. And, I also carry a scissor jack for situations where my round-topped bottle jack might slip. I've used combinations of two or more jacks, in some cases. I always also carry at least one flat plate or board to put under jacks on soft ground, in addition to the Hi-lift plastic base. But now, I see another jack I want:
Bravo1782 said:
Hey Guys,
I can weigh in on this thread. I'm going to agree with the bottle jack for changing a spare, hi-lift for recovery. I got a Unijack 6000 for my F-150 and I did a review of it...check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLaJiIThrw
Unijack 6000.jpg Not that I'll cease carrying any of my other jacks (at my age I'll take whatever help I can get!), but this jack looks perfect for my needs (including home use, projects, and all). It's a jack, jackstand, and load-spreading plate all-in-one. I'm ordering two, right now!

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Having used all manner of jacks over the years I'll stick with a (manual) hydraulic bottle jack (that will also work on its side), under a (straight) axle. For IFS I'll leave the vehicle near stock height and use either the OEM mechanical bottle jack or a secondary manual hydraulic bottle jack... I normally also carry a 6" piece of 4x4 for multiple purposes (tire chock, jack extension, etc.).
Small versatile and they work (avoid Harbor Freight, they leak).

Use what works best for you.

Enjoy!

lugueto

Adventurer
+1 for the bottle jack with the piece of wood under it.

A hilift jack is a recovery tool for me. I would only change a tire with it if there's no other option. Have you seen how unstable a HL can be when lifting the tire?

Changing a tire with a HL is an unnecessary risk.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Factory bottle jack with a Jack Adapter is the safest. Using a Hi-Lift to change a tire the most unsafe.

Jack Adapters are available for 1.5" & 2" post jacks for $33 shipped

Jack Adapters <link

Attachments

• 100 jack adapter.jpg
    100 jack adapter.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_5527.jpg
    IMG_5527.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 100 jack front.JPG
    100 jack front.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 361