Changing a flat on lifted trucks: tall bottle jack or hi-lift?

jgaz

Adventurer
This is a link to a thread I posted on another forum detailing the jack extension kit I copied from a commercial kit.

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3885

This is the only pic I have currently on my phone showing some of the pieces in use (not the milk crate). I'll try to post more when I get back home to my desktop unit.

image.jpg

If you look closely you can see some of the attachments for the vehicle kit scattered around in the above picture.

Last edited:

downhill

Adventurer
I really like the idea of interchangeable heads, but like IdaSho, I question the wisdom of using an extension. When we are working offroad, the ground is seldom perfectly level, so side loads will be higher. I don't know how much side load a bottle jack can take? I think I would opt for interchangeable heads, and a base for the times I need more lift.

I like the humvee jack too. Nice big base and plenty of range. I had some scissor leveling jacks years ago for a trailer, and I made a little stub that I could drive with a cordless drill. I eliminated all the wonky cranking.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I had some scissor leveling jacks years ago for a trailer, and I made a little stub that I could drive with a cordless drill. I eliminated all the wonky cranking.
No need to make a little stub. I just carry an old impact socket of the appropriate size for my jack. Also good to carry a couple of socket extensions so that you can jack without getting any body parts under the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier