Gore-tex Parka

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Looking for suggestions for a winter jacket. I already have a Summer shell I'm happy with.

I'd like to stick with Gore Tex because I haven't had much luck with "proprietary" breathable, waterproof fabrics. (My Marmot Precip might be the exception).

Anyway, I want something to use in the cold, rain, and snow. Something I can take skiing or just out in the cold rain. I really like the idea of parkas with zip out liners, but an insulated parka would be fine too. I'm not climbing Everest - I just want to be warm and dry in a variety of conditions of most active people come into contact with.

Would like to keep it under $300. I'm looking for 3/4 length.

Ideas ?

I use a Marmont XCR Gore Tex jacket and it is outstanding in western (wetter) Washington! I use it mostly skiing and find it very durable. I also use ARC'TERYX Gore Tex XCR ski pants. The material is very durable for tree skiing and I have yet to damage the pants with the edge of my ski, rocks or tree branches! I found the jacket two years ago at Sierra Trading Post.com and the pants at Steep and Cheap.com (backcountry.com).Both for less than 300.00 each. I do wear a heavy fleace under the jacket and when it goes below 5 degrees I put on my Mountain Hardware down vest under the shell. I use to use North Face and found the only the PRO North Face stuff is as good but way more cash.

jbs

Observer
I have the LLBean Maine Warden's Parka. It is an excellent jacket. Very warm, waterproof (Gore-Tex) and quality construction. Highly recommended.

Edit: I see now that the new version (3-in-1) is not the one I have. Apparently it is not as well-liked by people who have used both. Nice thing is that their warranty is such that you can wear and and return it if you don't like it, so little risk.

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
A friend who's a gear designer says Gore Tex now is pretty outdated, if it helps...
I hear that from time to time, yet I never hear what the big alternative is. eVent was supposed to topple Gore. Even Pearlizumi developed a micro-weave that was supposed to make the entire laminate barrier obsolete. I still see Gore Tex every season on the top products.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies.

I saw the Warden Jacket online. The reviews seem pretty mixed (for the newest version). I have to admit, as much as L.L. Bean seems like a style over substance store, I have never been dissatisfied with any L.L. Bean item I have had. There's a store nearby and I may have to check out there offerings in person (I wasn't crazy about how the jacket looked online). But that is the type of parka I'm looking for.

Maybe there's something better than Gore-Tex, but I know there are A LOT of things much worse. I have to say I have been very happy with my Marmot Precip jacket. It has held up well and is as waterproof as it was the day I bought it. It breathes well too. But I had a North Face with "ultrex" (back when NF was still reputable) and it sucked. My REI element jacket lost it's waterproofness after a couple seasons. Not sure what the material was and treating it didn't help. I gave it away before I realized I could have returned it. Oh well.

I've seen some eVent jackets on Steep and Cheap, but nothing has caught my eye. I keep hoping Steep and Cheap will have some great jacket for a price I can't resist.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
RA.jpg

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Marmot-Bastione-Component-Jacket-Mens/MAR1234M.html

I like this Marmot (link above), but know nothing about "Marmot MemBrain with DWR". I'm hesitant to drop 3 bills on another poor jacket.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I know Patagonia dropped gore tex in favor of whatever they carry. It definietely works, supposedly there is just a lot more breathable stuff now. I don't think you can go wrong with probably anything mid-upper from any of the good companies...

amocaT

Adventurer
From what I've heard...you might want to look into a non-zip together style. You want to create indiviual layers/climate zones. By doing that, you can create a better air pocket of insulation. When you zip a liner into the shell, you elminate that extra insulation layer?? Just a tought.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
From what I've heard...you might want to look into a non-zip together style. You want to create indiviual layers/climate zones. By doing that, you can create a better air pocket of insulation. When you zip a liner into the shell, you elminate that extra insulation layer?? Just a tought.

Exactly. In my experience, the zip together stuff is pretty... pedestrian. I wear the same jacket I wear during the summer, but add the appropriate base layer and insulation layers. I use Mountain Equipment Coop stuff, and prefer genuine Gore Tex. I find the alternative branded stuff just doesn't last as long. The off-brand membrane on my wife's MEC jacket disintegrated after 5 years.

That's for active sports. If you're talking about really cold areas and not being very active you just need a simple arctic parka. "When in Inuvik, do as the Inuit."

www.canada-goose.com (website seems painfully slow...)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
In my experience, the zip together stuff is pretty... pedestrian.

That is so true. As a buyer reps are continually showing me the latest and greatest in fabrics, and technical clothing pieces. I spent 30 minutes listening to a designer discuss the attributes of a single jacket. When the topic turns to zip in systems, they just say, "oh...and then we have these things" as if they're pointing out the pickle on a $30 hamburger.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Gore-Tex sets the standard for waterproof breathable membranes.

If you look at any serious outdoor apparel manufacturer that has their own waterproof breathable membrane (Marmot, Outdoor Research, Mammut, The North Face, etc) They all use Gore-Tex in their top tier, your life may depend upon it, gear.

Patagonia is for Yuppies in the coffee shops, not for big mountains where sub par gear will get you killed.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles