wood burning camp stove

HINO SG

Adventurer
nifty, but shipping costs would be prohibitive unless there's a dealer in the U.S..

what's your experience with them?

skysix

Adventurer
I like this one

http://www.canvastentshop.ca/stoves_tundra.html

tundra_assecc.jpg

tundra_collapse.jpg

(wear gloves when dismantling chimney sections and turning into flat sheets again - not only sharp edges but the inside is very sooty - make sure you have EVEN numbers of sections so can stack dirty sides together!)

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have been building one using an old 20# propane tank, that OZpig sure looks like a propane tank laying on its side.

inter

Observer
I have owned this portable ALL-IN-ONE stove for about a year.
stove.jpg
stoveOpen.jpg
'Small' first fire to let the paint 'smoke' and settle.
chimneyFire.jpg
I upgraded it after first camping trip.
Add grill (photo with drying mushrooms), and made one pipe’s section and another chimney cap.
work.jpg
teapot.jpg
mushroom.jpg

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Another vote for Four Dog Stoves! Don is a super guy and his stoves are second to none. I own the Four Dog model with stainless water tank and have run it for 5 winters in my canvas tent; including a 2 month straight stretch in Alaska on the trapline 2009-2010. It's the only one I'd stake my life on...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I like this one

http://www.canvastentshop.ca/stoves_tundra.html

tundra_assecc.jpg

tundra_collapse.jpg

(wear gloves when dismantling chimney sections and turning into flat sheets again - not only sharp edges but the inside is very sooty - make sure you have EVEN numbers of sections so can stack dirty sides together!)
We had similar stoves in the Army and while they worked they were a time consuming PITA to set up and take down (we had both wood burning and diesel burning "pot belly" stoves as well as the smaller, more boxy "Yukon" stoves we used during Winter field exercises in Colorado and in Germany. In Germany we used diesel exclusively because wood was difficult to come by.)
When you mentioned removing the chimney sections and returning them to 'flats' it brought back a lot of old memories. None of them good. ;) Dirty, messy, time consuming, heavy and you know, they never really go back to being truly "flat" once you've rolled them up. Also if they ever get bent or kinked while they're in the "rolled" position, they will be even harder to flatten out and then getting them to fit together as a chimney is a problem. You have to watch the heat carefully because if they get too hot and if they get too hot they can catch your tent on fire (ask me how I know that. :p )
Interestingly, in Korea, which was even colder than Germany, we never used those GI stoves. Instead, we had kerosene heaters that didn't require a chimney. As long as the tent was ventilated (and it was ventilated all too well when the wind blew!) you could run it without a chimney. In the TOC (Tactical Operations Center) which of course was manned 24/7, we let the kero heater run all night. In tents we would use the heater to warm up the tent's interior, and then the last person who went to sleep would turn it off. First one up in the morning fired up the heater.
For a cabin or some kind of fixed or semi-fixed installation (like a hunting camp set up for 2 weeks) I think this can make sense, but I wouldn't want one if I was on the move. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

HighAndTight

My Four-dog was delivered last week, in the two-dog size. I'm going to cure it tomorrow, with it's first run in our Beckel Canvas Miner tent on Cape Lookout this weekend.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
That first one looks like a LP tank with a cook top and chimney added. I've seen similar things used to make forges for blacksmiths. If you have any welding skill, you can make one yourself. I'd rather have something like that over any "collapsible" version.

I myself went with a biolite stove. Not real big, but doesn't need to be. Boils water just fine and I know it can heat a small room to something above freezing. I got it more for home use than camping, I admit. Just something to let me cook in my fireplace if the power goes out for long periods. Here I am testing it out. And yes, it will charge your gadgets, provided you keep it filled with good fuel. As a comparison, my cell phone has a guage that tells how fast it is charging. Plugged into the wall, its around 13%/hour. With the stove, its around 11%/hour. Not bad, but again, you have to keep the fuel in. Good for emergency use only, which is how I plan to use it in the first place.

WP_20141116_15_26_36_Pro.jpgWP_20141116_15_30_31_Pro.jpgWP_20141116_15_35_03_Pro.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles