Montero Love

preacherman

Explorer
I saw a few pics of yours on the site awhile back. Looks like a great rig. Where are you in Texas? I just moved to the midland area and would love to wheel sometime. I hope to make a quick big bend trip next month and hopefully a copper canyon trip this fall.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
preacherman said:
I saw a few pics of yours on the site awhile back. Looks like a great rig. Where are you in Texas? I just moved to the midland area and would love to wheel sometime. I hope to make a quick big bend trip next month and hopefully a copper canyon trip this fall.

Thanks for the compliments on the rig.

I'm in the Dallas area and would enjoy wheelin' with another Texan, and another Montero owner at that.

I just PM'd you with more details.

Cheers,

TD

DBS311

Adventurer
I've been looking at the '98-'00 Monteros and was wondering....how do you know if it came with the factory locker? When shopping for LC 80's, it is easy to look for the dial to the left of the steering wheel. Is there a switch I should be looking for in the Montero?

For those with lots of Montero experience, are there some problem areas I should be aware of when shopping/test driving? This is my first venture outside of the Land Cruiser world and I'm a newb to anything non-Toyota.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
DBS311 said:
I've been looking at the '98-'00 Monteros and was wondering....how do you know if it came with the factory locker? When shopping for LC 80's, it is easy to look for the dial to the left of the steering wheel. Is there a switch I should be looking for in the Montero?

For those with lots of Montero experience, are there some problem areas I should be aware of when shopping/test driving? This is my first venture outside of the Land Cruiser world and I'm a newb to anything non-Toyota.

I believe this is an electronic lock. There should be a switch on the console near the shifter. At least that's how it was on the '94 model that I owned. Body really didn't change much though on the gen II trucks.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
DBS311 said:
Is my red arrow pointing to the rear diff lock switch?

Sorry I cannot tell from the resolution of the photographs. My 94 didn't actually have one, but the spot was there for the switch (it just had a blank cover over it). I may be wrong, as it’s been several years since I owned my gen II model; however, I believe it’s the one in your first photo (in front of the 4WD selector). I also seem to remember that it was clearly marked as “Rear Diff Lock” or “RDL”. I’m basing this on the Mitsubishi service manual that I used to have for this truck.

It appears that Preacherman has the RDL on his model, based on his original note. I'll email him and ask him to reply.

Last edited:

preacherman

Explorer
It's the first one down below the radio. The one on the center console is for your auto tranny. The center one (auto tranny) is basically a switch mounted shift kit that lets you choose between shift settings like soft, firm, or sport. And in case you are wondering there is not a center diff lock "switch" on the dash any where like in the FJ80's. It must be in the transfer case because it locks in when you shift into 4wd. If there is a switch beside the 12v outlet just below the radio then you have a locker. The locker is an air locker (located in the compartment underneith the back seat) and can only be locked when in 4wd low.

Last edited:

DBS311

Adventurer
Thanks for the help guys. I have been looking at '98-'00 Monteros and '01-'02 Troopers. The more I look at the Mitsubishi's, the more I like them. It's a hard call but hopefully within a month I will have made my decision. Are there common problems with the Gen 2 and 2.5 I should be looking for when test driving?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I pretty much always thought that this was one fo the sexiest looking SUV's made in a long time. The Montero sport. Never see them out tho.

98_mitsubishi_montero_sport_4wd2.jpg

This on the other hand might be the UGLIEST suv ever made (that wasn't a Ford or GM product). No offense to the guy who's got one, I like that yours is built up.

2005_Mitsubishi_Montero_ext_1.jpg

preacherman

Explorer
try this page for montero information

http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/

The lower intake plemun on some 94/95 models sometimes has a small problem (see link) and sometimes with a big lift and the rear sway bar removed you have to sturdy up the rear control arms. Both of these are talked about on the link above. As far as the newer ones I don't know as much about them.

When you look at dollar for dollar and what you get (4 wheel disk brakes, rear locker, 245hp V6, lots of cargo room, lots of leg room, seating for 7, fits 33's with little or no lift) you get a lot of truck for the money. The after market does not support them very well but yesterday I saw 3 lifted FJ's in the parking lot of the mall...there is something to be said for being different...IMHO

Spikepretorius

Explorer
That Montero Sport in the photo isn't really a Montero/Pajero.
It's a station wagon version of the L200/Triton/Colt (depending on your country)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Spikepretorius said:
That Montero Sport in the photo isn't really a Montero/Pajero.
It's a station wagon version of the L200/Triton/Colt (depending on your country)

No, I think you're thinking of the Endeavor or the Outlander. Both of those are car-based SUVs derived from FWD platforms with transverse-mounted engines, unibody construction, and no low range.

The Montero Sport uses the same chassis as the Mitsubishi 4x4 pickup, has a ladder frame (body-on-frame construction), an inline- mounted engine and a 2-speed transfer case. Like the pickup it has IFS and a solid-axle rear suspension with leaf springs.

Mitsubishi dropped the Montero Sport some time in the late 90's or early 00's in favor of the Endeavor/Outlander, so that may be where the confusion comes in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior