Montero Love

preacherman

Explorer
First post here and I already have a question. Any Montero lovers out there? My current build is a 94 Monty. They are great. Very similiar to a trooper (3.5 v6, 245hp, 4w disk, coil over rear etc) but come with a factory rear air locker, center diff lock and 3rd row jump seats. Also great web site, I am sure it will be my new faviorate past time.

Scott Brady

Founder
Hola Preacherman :camping:

The Montero of your era is a fantastic platform and a "world" vehicle. Lots of room and a solid design. Rain gutters too.

Thanks for stopping in :jumping:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I've always liked those rigs. My ex girlfriend had one for a long time, a 3 door short wheelbase version. She had the V6 but as I recall its bhp was rated around 170ish. The coil sprung rear axle allowed for a nice ride and it was great for getting around tight 2 track around here (pretty much all of the two tracks are very narrow). It started to lose the battle against rust though so she unloaded it for a T100. I know she really misses that truck though.

Post up some shots if you get a chance though.

preacherman

Explorer
I am traveling right now but will post up some shots of it when I get home on sat. I took it to moab this may and it did great. The only thing about it that is frustrating is the lack of aftermarket support. There is almost none whatso ever. BUt that makes it kinda fun as well.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo Preacherman! The Montero is a great platform! I was considering them when I was shopping for my Trooper a few years ago, but in sunny AZ they held thier value too well, and I could not a good one for the price I was looking.

bootzilla

Adventurer
I am surprised there are not more Monteros around here - I had slimmed my choice down to the Montero, Land Cruiser, and Trooper... the LC was lots of $$ and I had trouble finding a Montero for some reason - I wanted the Limited with the trick transfer case, and had no luck chasing one down - so when a low-mileage Trooper crossed my path, I jumped on it.

Monters are great - got any pics of it to share?

preacherman

Explorer
I need to post some pics but have not had time. I will try to soon. It's a really cool truck. I had a FJ60 and was looking for a FJ80 when I stumbled across my monty for CHEAP. It had a check engine light that ended up being a egr sensor. The shady used car lot guy unloaded it on me thinking he had suckered me into a lemon...turns out it was a $65 sensor (which I suspected) That saved me $2,000. When I first bought it I kept thinking, "Why have I not heard about these before?" You get a lot of truck for a good price compaired to an FJ80. (at least where I am)

AZ_Husker

Observer
Preacherman,

Go to 4x4wire.com and go into the forum section. There is a Mitsubishi forum there. I just started looking into the Montero myself and gathered lots of info there. Scottie2113 provided the info and I actually ended up meeting him yesterday. He invited me come over to his place and let me check out his two 1997 Montero's. Even took me for a drive in one that he swapped 4.90 gears into. Both have the factory rear air-lockers. One has lift and ARB locker in front also. I love the trucks. Sturdy build; roomy, boxy body; nice 4wd system. I'm going to direct him to this forum also.

Chris

preacherman

Explorer
pics

Here are 2 pics of the monty one inside one out. In the middle of the dash is a inclometer (SP?)compas, outside temp, and altimeter. It comes standard on the SE package.

Moab5.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Preacherman,

To answer your question: there are a few of us out there. I've been a huge fan of these trucks ever since I bought my '94 Montero. After I finally ran that one into the ground, I looked around and couldn't find a better fit for my needs and pocketbook. So, in 2004, I purchased a well maintained 2001 (3rd generation).

I too miss the 3rd party vendor support that the land rovers and toyotas get by default. It's has made it harder to find what you need without having to either fabricate the items yourself or find someone who can do it for you and do it well.

So far I've added an ARB winch bumper, Warn XD9000, rear ladder, and an OME suspension. I couldn't find any custom roof racks, so I ended up with the Yakima load warrior and 2 18" extensions for it.

Your year model actually has a few more items you can get for it, including rock sliders and a custom roof rack that mounts to the rain gutters--very nice indeed.

Let me know if you've got any more Montero questions.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I had a 1990 Montero, it was a great vehicle. I owned it for 7 years and put almost 130,000 miles on it. Very reliable, even with high miles. I did have the valve guide problem that was common on the 3.0l V-6, but it never did leave me stranded and always went where I needed it to go. When I sold it at around 147,000 miles it was still running strong.

Photo of my driving my Monty over one of the obstacles at Hole-in-the-rock trail at the 1999 Montero Rally in Utah.

Monstero

Adventurer
I love the Monteros. All the way from the Dodge raider style up on through to the 2006 Gen 3s. I didnt used to be that way though and used to hate the way they looked until a friend told me to come for a ride in his 01 Gen3. I just didnt like the looks of them, but after riding and test driving his stock one I was converted. Being 6'5" its hard to get a vehicle that you arent staring at the roof visor while looking out the windshield or looking directly through the tinted part in your line of sight at the top of the windshield. I sat in ALL the suvs and none of them fit me like the Montero did with the bigger viewing area out front. After that I ended up going out and buying an 03 XLS model and have fell in love ever since....hehe......

I have wheeled mine as hard as one can without getting stupid crazy and asking for body damage, and it has held up great with nothing more than "Normal routing maintenance". With the traction control that was put in them in the 03 year it gets me to places I wanna go quite easily. I was directed here by TDESANTO and its a great forum and good to see some more monty owners as well as other well built rigs on here as well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Oh yeah, they're great rigs as long as you're willing to pay the "Montero Tax." That is, the extra money, time and hassle of trying to find parts, accessories or service in the US. Outside the US Pajeros are as common as weeds. I've been all around the world and have yet to go to a country where I don't see more Pajeros than I see Monteros in the US.

Incidentally, does anybody know why they don't use the name "Pajero" in the US? I know it sounds foreign, but then again, so does Montero. The difference is that I think Pajero is an actual Spanish word, whereas Montero is a sort of made up word. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94