06 Tacoma with ATC camper mod.

slooowr6

Explorer
Ridgewalker said:
I do not use Rancho 9000s, but it would help. I still have the OEM shocks. I have 120,000+ miles on it and just got new batteries last fall after having trouble starting it at -5 degrees. The SD has been a great truck, but it is expensive now that diesel has gone up and they went from $55 for and oil change to $85...OUCH!
Got it.
Consider what SD can haul $85 is not too bad. When I was at Death Valley gas was $4.09/gal. It took me $71 to fill the "compact" truck. :smilies27 With around 1200lbs on the truck I can only get ~18mpg freeway.

tele'n

Observer
nice setup! where did you get the air bags from. i have a canopy and a roof top hannibal and need some lift in the back to support all that extra weight.

ps, have a link for the camper manufacturer?

slooowr6 said:
Got it.
Consider what SD can haul $85 is not too bad. When I was at Death Valley gas was $4.09/gal. It took me $71 to fill the "compact" truck. :smilies27 With around 1200lbs on the truck I can only get ~18mpg freeway.

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
tele'n, I am installing AirLifts on my '03 Taco DC TRD. I purchased them at Wheeler's for $189 (cheapest I could find). I do not use a compressor nor gauges on my F250, because I only air up when I am hauling the camper and it just takes a few minutes to adjust each one before a trip. It also eliminates any additional failure points. That is the classic "KISS" principle.
On my Taco, eventually I will add an on-board compressor, but will still not have all the hoses and wiring of a built in controller, gauges, etc. for the AirLifts.
As an engineer for over 30 years, I have learned that the more complex something is, the greater the potential for failure.
Try Wheeler's for the AirLifts.

slooowr6

Explorer
tele'n said:
holy crap, CO2? does that have a gauge on it? those things blast the air in don't they?

i'm just looking on the web now at the airlift systems.

It has a trigger switch. You can see the truck goes up as you pull the trigger, it only needs a short burst to air it up. I have a 160psi tire gauge and use that to check the pressure. Make sure you get the one that uses non-thread co2 cartridge so you can use the co2 for BB guns, they are much cheaper.

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
slooowr6 said:
It has a trigger switch. You can see the truck goes up as you pull the trigger, it only needs a short burst to air it up. I have a 160psi tire gauge and use that to check the pressure. Make sure you get the one that uses non-thread co2 cartridge so you can use the co2 for BB guns, they are much cheaper.

Excellent idea slooowr6! I'm out to get one today. I'll try it out on my F250 as well. These things take up so little space.

slooowr6

Explorer
Got a set of Bilstein 5100. The front has adjustable preload (4 slots), plan to use the second to the lowest slot it should give it about 3/4" lift on the front. Put in the rear on today, it took me a whopping 40mins. :wings: Did not even remove the wheels. Took it out for a short drive it's firmer than stock and the sway is reduced. The shock can "catch" the spring better. Pressing down the shock by hand the 5100 has more compress and rebound damping. The shock is 2" in dia, 1/2" bigger than stock.
138658900-M.jpg

Overall I'm happy with it, the set of 4 cost me $285 to the door. So can't complaint much. :)
Next thing I need to do something about the front mud flaps!:Mechanic:

slooowr6

Explorer
Need to help from ExPo crew, I'm going to add CO2, Hi-Lift and a Jerry can on the back of the camper. A setup like what Turtle Exp did on their weekender.
13WW_FWCrear.jpg

Hi-Lift will go where the axe is.
I'm wondering what Jerry can holder option do I have? The ones I'm aware are:
AT:
1_yellowjeep.jpg

Northerntool:
19561_lg.gif

Expeditionware:
DSC06537340.jpg

Only the one from Northerntool can be mounted on the side. Is there any other option out there the can be mouted from the side of the holder?

Thanks!
Alex

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I can speak to the difference b/t the AT and the Expedition Exchange's can holders since I have both. They basically acheive the same objective, to hold a can securly and provide lockablilty. Both are very good, but if you want bulletproof, I'd go with the AT.

slooowr6

Explorer
Andrew Walcker said:
I can speak to the difference b/t the AT and the Expedition Exchange's can holders since I have both. They basically acheive the same objective, to hold a can securly and provide lockablilty. Both are very good, but if you want bulletproof, I'd go with the AT.

Can the AT be mouted on the side without support on the bottom? The mount need to sit flat against the back wall of the camper. :wavey:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Alex -

I asked Ben & Marty about the Turtle set up and they welded several additional braces into the aluminum frame during the build of the Turtle camper, to support all of that gear.

They advised me against trying to mount that much weight on the rear wall without additional frame reinforcements. Don't know if you had them do the same during your build....?

Just an FYI......:beer:

slooowr6

Explorer
kcowyo said:
Alex -

I asked Ben & Marty about the Turtle set up and they welded several additional braces into the aluminum frame during the build of the Turtle camper, to support all of that gear.

They advised me against trying to mount that much weight on the rear wall without additional frame reinforcements. Don't know if you had them do the same during your build....?

Just an FYI......:beer:

Thanks for the heads up!!:26_7_2:

I did talk to Ben about mounting a Jerry can on the back wall when I order the camper. At the time Ben forgot about the reinforcements they did for the Turtle camper. He told me I should be able to mount it by bolts through the frame in the back wall. When I show them the pic of Turtle's camper 2 weeks ago, he talk to Jeff about it Jeff said without reinforcement the wall won't last. Ben has offer to do the reinforcement once they move into the new factory building and have things in order. It has been great doing business with Ben.
Ben will give me a call when they are ready to take in the camper, he told me they only need it a couple days to reinforce the back wall. Can't wait. :jumping:

slooowr6

Explorer
Have done nothing to the truck for the past couple months. The truck now have 12k miles been staying in the camper for more than 14 nights total. All an all the camper is working pretty good. I do miss the space Vanagon has. With a truck camper you don't get the use the cabin space once you are in the camper. Couple things I'm planning on doing:
1) Change to firestine air bag or change to Dakar leaf have not decide yet. I found out that the leaf spring is touching the overload leaf on the rear but not the front, where the air bag is. My though is AirLift air bag is forcing the stock leaf into a S shape.
2) Need to change to LT tires, I'm planning on a set Load Rating D tire. I just need to convince wife this is for safety.
3) BentUp slider. Need to find time to drive to their shop for this........
4) Update my Scan Gauge II firmware so it can read trans temp. The Taco is working hard when going over mountain pass with the camper loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94