Gear's TW200

Willman

Glad you have found a new friend! I'm jealous!

Thanks Guys.

Willman wrote

This was my intention but I spoke to Mario from AT and he had some concerns about it being to much weight on the back. I am sure the AT could hold it. I think the problem is it will unweight the tongue causing poor handling. I hope to resolve this issue. One thought is to remove the fuel cans/water storage on the front and slide the bike up there. Will just have to see.

The TW200 weights 279 lbs. wet. If I am carrying 19 gallons of water + 2 jerry cans full of fuel plus the nose box with a group 31 battery and other stuff. Who knows if this will off set the weight of the bike on the back.

Have you had time to play around with this idea? Maybe you could pack all your heavy items to the front of your box like your fridge and etc.. to off set some of this weight

Gear, check out the Versa Haul hitch carrier (http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php).

This could work between the tow rig and your Chaser, depending on the tongue weight. Your ball and mount fit in the rear of the carrier.

This is a cool idea if the AT can't take the weight.

Another idea is to weld up a front receiver hitch to the front of your jeep and pack it that way.

Keep us posted

:)

Rozzi

Adventurer
Sweet bike. One bit of advice: Never ride one of those in any kind of mud. It rains here constantly. We thought it would be fun to take the TW200 out in a some mud holes (a few years ago of course). Huge mistake. Then again, one look at the bike/stock tires and it's obvious that it wasn't intended for mud. Great bike though.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Gear wrote "The TW200 weights 279 lbs. wet. If I am carrying 19 gallons of water + 2 jerry cans full of fuel plus the nose box with a group 31 battery and other stuff. Who knows if this will off set the weight of the bike on the back."

Willman wrote "Have you had time to play around with this idea? Maybe you could pack all your heavy items to the front of your box like your fridge and etc.. to off set some of this weight."

As a matter of fact I played with the idea today. I installed the Joe Hauler rack on the back of the Chaser while it was unhooked from the Jeep. A buddy came over(200 lbs) and sat on the rack. I was able to get the front of the Chaser to lift off the ground by apply a little bit of downward force on the Joe Hauler rack. As far as I can tell it is a no go for the back of the Chaser. I noted the air bags cause quite a bit of side to side motion with that weight on the back.

I also looked at removing the two gas cans that are behind the nose box. Possible fab up a plate to hold the TW200 there. The problem is the clearance for the TW foot pegs. They are 20" wide and the gas cans only give me 10". I could remove the 19 gallon water tank plus the cans but at that point you might as well go another way. Also the Eezi Awn 2200 sticks over in the front so this would be an issue as well.

DSC_2051.jpg

So in the end I think I am going to run the TW200 on the back of the Jeep for my solo outings. If I need to spend the night I will use the OzTent. The reality is if I am taking the Chaser and my two boys/wife, I should be spending time with them and not leaving them in the desert.

Willman

Another idea is to weld up a front receiver hitch to the front of your jeep and pack it that way.

What about this ^^^^^? I know you want to go to the Overland ExPo in style right???..j/k

.....The reality is if I am taking the Chaser and my two boys/wife, I should be spending time with them and not leaving them in the desert.

Great point!

;)

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
I have an arrangement similar to this:
3937273_Mgnrj-L.jpg

but I'm not that fond of it as the bike blocks the headlights and gets hit with all the bugs. It would be even worse on a jeep.

I have a Versa-Haul carrier and it is very stout. Its built on a 24" hitch extension and could be used between the Jeep and the trailer quite easily provided that the Jeep can handle the tongue weight with the extension in place. http://www.versahaul.com/

Since my wife got her bike, I now use a trailer to transport both.

Gear

Rhode Trip, Thanks for the photograph and thoughts on personal experience. It looks like anyone of those ideas would work. I guess at this point it would be a matter of how much money I want to spend to make it happen. Some concerns I have are the receiver hitch on my Jeep is an aftermarket bumper made by Jeeperman. The 2" receiver itself is only 2" open stock and not a true 2" designed for its intended tow purpose. I question the tongue weight allowance of this bumper.

As for putting the TW200 on the front of the Jeep. Visibility would be greatly reduced.

At this point I think I am just going to run without the trailer if I decide to take the TW200.

Thanks

jackflash

Observer
Gear,
Hope you like that little bike. They are great little bikes. I have had numerous bikes, from a XR650 to a HD and I think the TW200 is one of the best. Me and the wife have only had ours for a few months and put over a thousand miles on them. I have been thinking of a set up like yours. Hope you work something out.

By the way, like your jeep too.

deadbird

Observer
TW's rule. My buddy and I both have them, and just got back from 2 days riding in the sand at Pismo Beach. Really fun on the TT track at Holister and trail riding. I have had it all over CA and NV. I'll see if I can post a picture.
-Ezra

wild1

Adventurer
DSC_7691.jpg

Back in the saddle again! After a failed attempt to get a none California compliant TW200 registered I managed to return it and pick up this little gem. Here is my new to me 2008 Yamaha TW200 with 148 miles on it. Got it home and did a quick oil change on it. I then loaded it up for a maiden voyage out to Arizona for the Overland Training, Wilderness First Aid Course. I was able to do a nice 2 hour ride on the way out to Prescott, AZ. Here is the new bike and a quick trip report.

I explored the Black Mountain Road off the 78 just north east of Glamis.

Here is a link to GPS satellite image of the area and ride. When you open it up click on the right side satellite / large / and then zoom in and hit play.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/8753276

DSC_7693.jpg

The new bike came with an after market rack and a Pelican case on the back. Worked out nicely for putting the camera in. All thought I am planning on changing this setup.

DSC_7704.jpg

Plenty of trails to explore.

DSC_7709.jpg

I had hoped to ride out to the Colorado River. Do to time constraints I did not make my objective.

DSC_7717.jpg

This road was looking really promising(marked EC 815). Unfortunately I ran into this sign with a no motorcycles past this point. So I turned around.

DSC_7725.jpg

This is coming back out of EC 815. Just enough interest to keep things exciting.

DSC_7726.jpg

Then I found another road that started down this very long wash. Ran into this little guy. At this point I turned around do to time constraints. I wanted to be in Prescott, AZ buy night fall.

DSC_7735.jpg

DSC_7737.jpg

I ended up taking a different trail out to the 78. Definitely easier then the sand wash.

In total I rode just under 32 miles in 2 1/2 hours. The new bike handled the terrain Great! I am looking forward to starting in on some mild modifications as well as getting out on the back roads.
Nice Tdub! I really miss mine, I replaced it with a modded 250 WR that’s twice as fast and half as fun. How is hauling the bike on the Jeep? I have a JLUR but I have been leery about that much weight on the back. I always packed mine on my F350 but it would be fun to be able to take it with the Jeep.

Gear

Nice Tdub! I really miss mine, I replaced it with a modded 250 WR that’s twice as fast and half as fun. How is hauling the bike on the Jeep? I have a JLUR but I have been leery about that much weight on the back. I always packed mine on my F350 but it would be fun to be able to take it with the Jeep.
This was shot over 10 years ago. As I recall the bikes weight was not an issue. The issue was not being able to get to the back of the Jeep without removing the bike. That was a fun bike!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I got a 21 TDub last fall. Haven’t ridden it near as much as planned but several projects have gotten in the way. Soon I hope to do a lot of bike camping. They are fun and just right for an old rider who hadn’t ridden in about 35 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles