Converting a beater Transalp into the ultimate expedition bike

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
We used to laugh at those when they first came out. Called them trans slaps. :coffeedrink:

Who'd a thunk I want one someday? That first one in your post looks awesome! We had a guy on a ride bring his all done up in Rothman's colors. Looked great!

I know him from ADVrider, nice guy with a fantastic bike!

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
All the body parts are in my truck and will be delivered to the painter in the morning! :clap

I was going to bite the bullet and get a custom Wilburs shock to match the XR600 forks but after doing some research I found that a shock from an 83 CR250 is the correct lenght that I need and has compression and rebound adjustments. I will have to rebuild this shock with the correct spring and valving but I'll still come out about $400 less than the Wilburs.

764228167_KDawg-S.jpg

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I found some tiny incandescent bulbs at Radio Shack so I bought them, wired them up and they work perfectly for the low fuel level sensors that's in the AfricaTwin tank. The green one will come on when the fuel level gets below the first upper sensor then the red one comes on when the fuel gets below the lower sensor.

773380433_Qqbrk-M.jpg

773381665_bPTDV-M.jpg

773381048_iN6Ws-M.jpg

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I received the body work yesterday and got it all mounted last night...

774645324_y8LaU-L.jpg

I'm going for the Red Bull Dakar theme! :evil Now I need some help, does anyone know where I can get Red Bull decals like these?

red-bull-wings-for-life-ktm.jpg

ktm-cyril-despres.jpg

emohn

Observer
Jeff,

It's probably going to be rather difficult, as Red Bull is extremely protective of their image/branding, but I know a guy who used to work with their local marketing rep and also know a few local (Louisville) graphics guys, so I might be able to make something happen for you.

-Erik

P.S. Hoping to pick up a DRZ-400 next week sometime and hit a few of the KYADV rides with you guys.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Jeff,

It's probably going to be rather difficult, as Red Bull is extremely protective of their image/branding, but I know a guy who used to work with their local marketing rep and also know a few local (Louisville) graphics guys, so I might be able to make something happen for you.

-Erik

P.S. Hoping to pick up a DRZ-400 next week sometime and hit a few of the KYADV rides with you guys.

That would be great!!! :wings:

I know of someone that may be selling their plated DRZ400E if your interested.

mcgovski

Adventurer
Great build! is your screen from germany? it looks like one I have seen from over there...oh, tell us more about the DRZ...

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I took more pics tonight, when the weather breaks I'll get it outside and use a proper camera. :wink:

774962957_wn4D9-L.jpg

774961791_Gyb2m-L.jpg

774961181_EdiHb-L.jpg

774962378_wJJ7L-L.jpg

And for you low fender lovers...

774965628_PfrEU-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94