Status of SRW conversions for Fuso's in the US?

KEENO

Adventurer
When can we see some Pics DEFENDERBEAM? (possibly in a seperate thread?) I would love to see the Singles & maybe just a couple details...

KEENO:)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Hey young Thom. How are ya?

For an FG to end up with front and rear tracks the same (and use the same offset wheels all round) >> the front rims have to come out and the rear wheel turned around (someone called it "flip-flop") will end up further inboard than the OE outer rim. However the new resulting front / rear track will now be wider than the average of the original front and rear tracks combined. Just that someone was worried they would not be as stable cornering ????? Not so.
I am good. Work is a question mark, but getting laid off would allow more time for the FJ60's engine swap, right? :sombrero:
That wheel mounting arrangement is what I would expect to be used. Sounds like the Fuso places the OE front tire in the path of the inner rear dual. The only thing that I do not like about running the fronts 'out' rather than 'in' is the increase in scrub radius. That will put more load on the steering system parts and potentially accelerate the wear on the steering bearings. Sounds like parts are over-designed/built enough that it's not worth getting too worked up about. More like something to keep an eye on.

Yes again about the correct offset, however I should say that many of the older SRW conversions around here running Michelin XZL's don't even bother with special wheels having the optimum offset and simply run a single OE rim on the rear. No problem that I've ever heard of regarding the bearings (ever) and some of these run in extreme offroad situations non-stop. eg. the same conditions that would have them replacing shackle rubbers every 2 weeks. Of course running OE wheels results in quite different front and rear tracks which isn't really the best thing offfroad, particularly soft sand.
So not ideal, but it works most of the time. Sounds like doing so is trading on the over-built design of the axles.
Hey. Just want to stress that what we do here may not apply to you guys in the US at all. Only throwing my 2 cents in. If someone of Darrin's caliber has concerns I'm sure they are valid over there.
What I'm gathering is that they are, unfortunately, mostly CYA concerns rather than real engineering concerns. I can't fault his approach, I sure wouldn't notch the limb behind me either.

ericvs

Earthcruiser or ATW.

One thing to keep in mind is the Earth Cruiser rims will only support 3900lbs per wheel. This is a fair bit below the rear axle rating of the Fuso. They are very light however (20lbs per rim v 186lbs for the ATW rims.)

The ATW rims will support 14 850lbs, which is well above the rear axle rating

skippythedog

Observer
9 days ago, Monday Sept. 11th, I phoned Earthcruiser. The fellow that answered the phone said that he had no idea when they would be getting more 6 lug wheels. Last Spring they inadvertently got a shipment of 5 lug wheels instead of 6 lug.
I posted this in my thread (Stockton Wheels, latest dope) http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/168478-Stockton-Wheels-the-latest-dope ...The next day, Michelle at Earthcruiser wrote on the thread stating that my facts were wrong....yet she provided no information to counter that. I also got into it with EC and one of their cohorts earlier in the year re: failure of some of their wheels. I actually communicated w/ the owner of failed set. Needless to say, each blamed the other. EC would provide me with no factual information. One fellow wrote and actually said, if I wanted to talk to him about it, I should meet him at the SEMA Show this Fall. more here:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/110883-Fuso-SRW-options?p=2242034#post2242034
I will state this emphatically: EC seems to be very deceptive about their whole wheel program. I don't trust them. I'm a former Porsche mechanic, Toyota and Subaru Service Mgr. and MAC Tool Dealer...I've dealt w/ lots of Motoring enthusiasts, OEM and Aftermarket suppliers etc....

I decided to buy Kym Boltons wheels and met up with Tony Baker in Vancouver this past weekend. The 17x9s w/ Hankook 37x12.50 tires won't fit on my 2007 FG140 as they currently rub the plastic fender skirts and don't clear the lower portion of my cab steps (while tilting the cab).....But....my springs are flat (Timbren bump stops and Ranchos already installed) and my truck only has 60k original miles.....So...Tony provided me with a gorgeous set of new leaf springs, greaseable shackles/pins and poly bushings. I should have them installed by late next week and so will see if my steps will clear or I'll have to mod the lower step a smidge.....This whole thing caught me a bit off guard as I had seen no one mention any clearance problems thus far. The centers of these rims are massive at 10mm (or approx 3/8")...Watch for my post soon w/ some measurements and pics if I can figure out how...cheers all!

Last edited:

biggoolies

Adventurer
Who is Tony Baker? I live in the Vancouver area.
9 days ago, Monday Sept. 11th, I phoned Earthcruiser. The fellow that answered the phone said that he had no idea when they would be getting more 6 lug wheels. Last Spring they inadvertently got a shipment of 5 lug wheels instead of 6 lug.
I posted this in my thread (Stockton Wheels, latest dope) http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/168478-Stockton-Wheels-the-latest-dope ...The next day, Michelle at Earthcruiser wrote on the thread stating that my facts were wrong....yet she provided no information to counter that. I also got into it with EC and one of their cohorts earlier in the year re: failure of some of their wheels. I actually communicated w/ the owner of failed set. Needless to say, each blamed the other. EC would provide me with no factual information. One fellow wrote and actually said, if I wanted to talk to him about it, I should meet him at the SEMA Show this Fall. more here:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/110883-Fuso-SRW-options?p=2242034#post2242034
I will state this emphatically: EC seems to be very deceptive about their whole wheel program. I don't trust them. I'm a former Porsche mechanic, Toyota and Subaru Service Mgr. and MAC Tool Dealer...I've dealt w/ lots of Motoring enthusiasts, OEM and Aftermarket suppliers etc....

I decided to buy Kym Boltons wheels and met up with Tony Baker in Vancouver this past weekend. The 17x9s w/ Hankook 37x12.50 tires won't fit on my 2007 FG140 as they currently rub the plastic fender skirts and don't clear the lower portion of my cab steps (while tilting the cab).....But....my springs are flat (Timbren bump stops and Ranchos already installed) and my truck only has 60k original miles.....So...Tony provided me with a gorgeous set of new leaf springs, greaseable shackles/pins and poly bushings. I should have them installed by late next week and so will see if my steps will clear or I'll have to mod the lower step a smidge.....This whole thing caught me a bit off guard as I had seen no one mention any clearance problems thus far. The centers of these rims are massive at 10mm (or approx 3/8")...Watch for my post soon w/ some measurements and pics if I can figure out how...cheers all!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Tony Baker is the NA distributor for Kym Bolton wheels. They seem to be a good product, I'm guessing that since they come out of Australia they are US-DOT compliant but I don't know for sure.

wrt EC, I would trust them more than skippy.

skippythedog

Observer
Pretty cocky (and unwarranted) of you to take a potshot like that at me (vs EC)....I have no agenda. You apparently do. I'm just an ordinary consumer. If you peruse the links you'll see that everything I wrote about them is borne out by their own replies/comments.

To answer Biggoolies: Tony is the NA distributor, based in Calgary but he picks up his shipments near Vancouver. You would have to communicate with him to see if he's willing to meet in the area to unpack some of his wares in BC to save you some shipping costs....
Here's an excerpt about these wheels: "These rims have passed SAE J328 fatigue testing at 2.25 the load to the required 400,000 cycles, and continued testing to an impressive 1.8 Million cycles before the equipment was turned off." These wheels have a 10 mm center (3/8")

Whereas Stockton Wheels (per my conversation with Andre there last week) is currently exploring a source for wheel centers with a spec of .18xx" (not even a quarter of an inch)...whereas their older wheels were apparently built with centers that were only .15xx"

http://www.trucksupersingles.com.au/tyres.html

gait

Explorer
Pretty cocky (and unwarranted) of you to take a potshot like that at me (vs EC)....I have no agenda. You apparently do. I'm just an ordinary consumer. If you peruse the links you'll see that everything I wrote about them is borne out by their own replies/comments. .....

are you aware of the fallacy of deepest offence? .... its part of critical thinking.

skippythedog

Observer
"Fallacy of deepest offence," is a construct of philosophers....dreamers. I deal in facts. It's just a freaking truck. Philosophy is not applicable here.

Fact: There are problems w/ EC alloy wheels.
Fact: I spoke to an owner experiencing said problems.
Fact: I presented those alleged problems to EC for clarification/explanation before placing my order for their wheels.
Fact: They were evasive about these problems.
Fact: I inquired with the Manager and Assistant Manager at the Les Schwab in Bend, OR. (who mounts EC's tires) about these problems (inconclusive).
Fact: EC continues to be evasive. Their personnel have labeled my information on the forum as being factually incorrect, yet they have not offered any factual evidence to the contrary.
Fact:....well maybe not, but they seem to have some allies here on the forum who take veiled potshots at me in defense of ECs wheel program (such as it is).

I really don't want to get embroiled in any drama (though I will defend my honor vigorously.) I'm just here to help other owners and glean some info and advice for myself.

Howard70

Adventurer
Consider Mass-Rating of Tires As Well

As I've mentioned before, Heidi and I are happy with the six aluminum rims we acquired from EarthCruiser several years ago when we purchased Prima Terra our EarthCruiser EXP. Just for the record, I also have two friends who each placed 19.5" steel rims on their Fuso FG's for there conversion to SRW. Both of them have since converted to aluminum 16" rims from EarthCruiser and it is my impression that they are happy with those wheels, tires, and size.

Heidi and I recently researched tires available in New Mexico for 16" wheels. In the 315/75/16 size that we prefer to run I could not find any tires that had a weight rating greater than the 16" alloy rims sold by EC. In other words, if you seek 16" rims that have a higher rating than the 16" alloy rims sold by EC you might find them - but I don't know of tires that would allow you to take advantage of the higher capacity provided by such rims.

Personally I am not interested in the 19.5" rims and tires for a variety of reasons. But if you need great capacity in the rim and tire ratings they may be the best bet.

If I was starting over I would look at 17" aluminum rims. If they provided greater space for drum brakes when mounted on the front, they could also provide greater space for wheel weights and alleviate the need to educate mechanics possibly unaccustomed to the tight clearances of 16" wheels designed to mount both forward and aft as part of a SRW conversion. Some aluminum 16" wheels placed on Fuso FGs have been damaged by inappropriate placement of balancing weights.

Regarding the integrity, trustworthiness and concern for their customers well being of folks at EarthCruiser - Heidi and I have been treated extremely well and have been happy and satisfied with the products, work, and collegiality provided by everyone we've encountered there. Everyone is entitled to our own opinions and expression of them so this isn't meant to ignite argument!

Howard Snell

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
are you aware of the fallacy of deepest offence? .... its part of critical thinking.

He's just a coarse guy that likes to criticize and judge, so I don't think he is going to get that argument/point of view. skippy has been on my ignore list for a while - I only see things he says when other people quote them, which is enough. :)

gait

Explorer
I really don't want to get embroiled in any drama (though I will defend my honor vigorously.) I'm just here to help other owners and glean some info and advice for myself.

we wonder about your statements and conclusions, you get upset about your honour! :Wow1: Makes it impossible to discuss the subject.

nice demo ...... that's what the fallacy describes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94