Status of SRW conversions for Fuso's in the US?

doubleb

Observer
From searching this forum and googling around the net, it doesn't seem that there is a SRW conversion for Fuso's available in the US. Is this true? Did I miss something? I really like the Fuso's, but I'm not a big fan of DRW.

Cheers

haven

Expedition Leader
Moved!

There have been a few brave souls who have ordered a custom wheelset
and mounted super single tires. There is no commercially available
solution in USA. Several companies in Australia do offer a SRW conversion,
but it's expensive to ship to USA.

KEENO

Adventurer
Stockton Custom Wheels

It's my understanding that Stockton Custom Wheels might be able to help with Fuso 'flip/flop' Singles. The question then becomes.... What is the preferred Backspacing to be able to 'reverse' the wheel (front verse rear application)?

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

KEENO:)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There have been a few brave souls who have ordered a custom wheelset and mounted super single tires. There is no commercially available solution in USA. Several companies in Australia do offer a SRW conversion, but it's expensive to ship to USA.

Additionally, it's worth knowing that the Mits-Fuso engineers who designed the FGs rear axle do not support the use of singles. Now, a lot of that is CYA for when underinformed people do bad conversions, but that's the official position.

As an aside, and FWIW, several of us on the Moglist had problems with Stockton Wheels, and there are a high proportion of negative comments about them in other forums. Might be worth a web search to make up your mind before committing the money.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Mike makes an excellent point re: Stockton. My personal experience corroborates it as well. As they say in the scary movies, "Be VERY careful!"

It's not only the Mitsu engineers who do not authorize singles - Dana who makes the 22,000# axle under my FusoFM's rear end also does NOT, so we have not.

lehel1

Adventurer
stockton wheels

hello all

stockton wheel did a great job on our single wheels for our 08 fg, they were abit slow in delivery but i found them to be very knowledgable and the wheels are very well built.

this a normal area for them in doing super singles on dually trucks and there are many companies with big truck applications needing them. in fact most of the man trucks or inveco trucks running them as well.

as well atwater has done extensive work with singles with great success

jsut my take cheers lehel

Attachments

• New Camper 023[1].JPG
    New Camper 023[1].JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 176

KEENO

Adventurer
Backspacing?

Lehel...

Your rig has come a long ways in a short period of time.... Looking Great!

Do you happen to know what Backspacing your wheels use to be flip/flopped front to rear axles?

Also: Do you have a link for Atwater. Not much help from Google...

Thanks... KEENO:)

lehel1

Adventurer
all terrian warriors ??

hello keeno

thanks for the note, the truck is coming along great but lots more to do still. i don't have those offset numbers. we gave stockton wheel the fuso spec sheet, told them the tire size we'd like to run and they do the rest. very knowledgeable, built great wheels, nice folks but very slow on delivery (so don't be in any kind of rush)

your in luck as all terrain warriors have there own tread now just two treads below this one ; ) great folks to chat with as well

cheers lehel

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Other than slow delivery this is the first that I've seen negative about Stockton Wheel.

When the mfg's position is no SRW conversion, what is their reasoning behind that position? I can make educated guesses, but I'd like to know what it is.

lehel1

Adventurer
super singles ?

hello all

after conversations with different truck manufacturing engineers is that it is simply a matter of dually rear ends designed for dual wheels. basicly without re-engineering on paper the dual rear end running singles, most are not willing to put themselves out there.

a great resource (and a great place to get idea's) is to follow or get to know some of the dakar rallies and folks, its commom place to run singles on dually rear ends on these trucks and they use them hard. fire and utility departments also use them on many different brand trucks as well. it alsmost seems common place as i have done my research.

what i would be interested to hear, is has anyone ever had or heard of a failure due to running appropriate designed built single wheels on a dually rear end ??

another interesting point i read somewhere, is you don't often see big changes in the manufacturing of the front axle on dually trucks, which is effectively running inside singles with the outside wheels missing (or course the front axle is wider than the rear and you would do this).

great subject

cheers lehel

p.s. check out the dakar 2010 truck reviews awsome

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
When the mfg's position is no SRW conversion, what is their reasoning behind that position? I can make educated guesses, but I'd like to know what it is.
If I recall correctly from several years back when Darrin Fink was discussing the matter with MFNA on my behalf, the most critical issue was that the side bearing loads on the axle were increased substantially when the load was carried through one wheel versus two (or two versus four across the axle).

But by far the critical point was that no one at Mits-Fuso had done the engineering to prove that singles were appropriate, and they weren't going to because there was no benefit to SRWs for 99% of their prospective buyers.

From the anecodatal information available, it's clear that the conversion can be done without impending doom. But the engineers at Fuso will still, I'm sure, tell you that there's no engineering data to show SRWs are either safe or reliable on their trucks. Sure, it's a Cover Your *** approach, but none of us would be saying anything different were we in their position.

jhrodd

Adventurer
I have spec'd wide singles on my last two big trucks and the engineers always require an axle upgrade. My '09 Cascadia had to have 40,000 lb rears and a fairly minor upcharge. In the case of 445/50R22.5's on 14" Alcoa rims the track or center to center tire measurement actually increases even though the outside to outside measurement is substantially less. This adds some measurable stress to the axle housing and bearings. Of course, wide singles are retrofitted all the time with no consequence that I've heard of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online