Any one into snow shoes here?

Clay

Adventurer
A couple of years back I got a pair of Atlas snow shoes for Christmas and I been using them a bunch ever since. Last year I went out quite a bit, and this year I have already gone out several times, even though it just started snowing pretty recently.

Any one else like to hike with tennis rackets on their feet?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Yep, you gotta be into sports to live in this region. I have a set of Tubbs (can't think of the paticular model off the top of my head). I got them a bit bigger specifically for flotation when I'm carrying a pack for winter camping. Unfortunately I'm so busy with work in the winter I don't get to go out as often as I would like. This winter has been the worst on record so far in regards to snow fall. Up untill today we've been brown since mid December. Freaky weather. I hiked up at the McCormick Tract wilderness area a few days ago and there was a decent amount of snow there right around a foot but that's up 1,000ft higher elevation then town here. Its been snowing all day here today, but usually by now we've gotten quite a bit already.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I enjoy the winter application of tennis rackets. I need to get a pair. I bought a nice set of the women's design Tubbs for my wife and I think I want to get a set for me with a bit more floatation for carrying camera gear.

dieck

Adventurer
I'm working on hitting all 50 state highpoints. In three months I'm going to try Wheeler Peak in New Mexico which is just over 13,000 ft. It will be snowy so I'll need some snow shoes. I've never used them before, what do you recommend?

Clay

Adventurer
There is a pretty good review in the current issue of backpacker magazine on snow shoes, I think it was MSR was the brand they liked the best, but I don't know. I have had my atlas snow shoes for a couple of years with no complaints what-so-ever.

Snow conditions very so much from place to place, so I would recommend going to the nearest store that carries them and asking them what they sell the most of, that will tell you a lot. Plus make sure you weigh yourself with all the gear and clothes you would wear so you know what your actual weight will be when you are on them. This will make a big difference in how well they float.

great thread...in the future i plan on a set of "modern" shoes that i can wear while i pack up the snowboard.

at the moment, i have a real set of tennis rackets :D. theyre a bear paw design, wood, gut and leather, and they work great. bear paws arent good for breaking trail tho, the tips arent raised or anything, so steps are longer and higher. just had them out a couple days ago in a couple feet of power...i imagine the newer shoes float better with less width due to continuous sheets of material vs gut strings. also these do not have cleats, tho i could probably retrofit a set of tubbs cleats to them.

-sean

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have several sets...by far the best are the MSR Denali shoes....easy fitting, and they don't come off or wiggle loose. Bombproof and you can vary the size by adding or subtracting floatation heels.

-H-

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Hltoppr said:
I have several sets...by far the best are the MSR Denali shoes....

Compared to what? I'm in need of some new shoes since I have just been using the women's Tubbs Altitudes that I bought my wife a few years ago. Right now Tubbs and the MSR's are coming to the top of my list. I like the 25 Tubbs because they seem to be pretty generically capable, though not great at anything. Readfeathers are out because of the weight range, though I guess a pair of 30s could make a decent all around shoe.

I generally use snowshoes for going on nice walks in the winter to take pictures or just go out with the dogs, but occasionally I will use them for shooting ski racing when I think they will be easier than skis, but the snow is not water injected (i.e. intentionally turned into a skating rink) when crampons are the only way to go.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have a set of the Tubbs altitudes as well as some redfeather shoes for my wife.

Generally, they're not too bad (the Tubbs)...for recreational...let's not have our lives on the line shoes; however, the simple, solid design of the MSR binding system makes it easy to work with gloves and a heavy pack on. The fact that the MSRs base doesn't have an outer edge with a flexible inner piece means that branches, etc. don't get stuck between them. The long side "crampons" are excellent for side hills, and the toe/instep crampons work very well for going up and down steep slopes.

Just to let you know...I use the MSRs exclusively for Mountain Rescue. I can't afford to have a binding system break or come off, or not be able to be worked with heavy mountaineering gloves on....issues I experienced with the Tubbs. We also are very hard on equipment. It has to go above and beyond what the normal user will do to it.

I won't recommend any other shoe for anyone who is going to do anything serious.

-H-

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Thanks, that's exactly the information I need! I hear you about the Tubbs bindings. I was just complaining about them with a friend this morning. We have both come out accidentally and they are very difficult to get back on. Not to mention we are both concerned about breaking them.

What about if you planned to hike in, then descend on something and strap the shoes to the pack? What would you recommend? This would be mostly powder, I wouldn't be climbing anything to descend ice or bumps, and no technical ascents either.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've used the MSRs to ascend ski hills before (no skins), and just strapped 'em to a pack for the descent....works great.

I still think the design makes these the best all around shoes...and they're relatively inexpensive...

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
But then again a Split Decision Snowboard or Randonne (French for "can't tele") skis or Telemark gear with climbing skins works very well too....

-H-

Bergger

Explorer
My wife and I still use the wooden ones I made about 20 years ago! They take a little while to put on but work just fine. My 8 year old just got a pair so she can start to join us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles