Ford V-10 reliability?

FishPOET

Adventurer
A Ford V10 has to be spun close to 5,000 RPM’s in order to get into the power band

Not true. In fact the V-10s have a rev limiter close to 5000 RPMs. The V-10's have plenty of power & torque from 3500 to 5000 rpm. My early 1999 V-10 has taken my 17,000# all over the Sierra's and Rockies without any trouble.

TC0913.jpg

They suck fuel. 13mpg empty. As low as 7mpg loaded pulling grades.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The V-10's have plenty of power & torque from 3500 to 5000 rpm.

My point exactly…That is a high RPM to be turning vs. an 8.1L or even an old 460 Ford V8. For a heavy pick up off idle torque is what you need not at 3,500 to 5,000+

As far as the rev limiter, maybe 5,000 is the limit on pickup trucks but not on RV’s. I have driven plenty of V10 class A RV’s where the tach will peg close to 6,000 RPM. Even Ford's advertised Peak HP on the V10 is at 4,750 RPM. It would seem odd they would start retarding spark and turning down the fuel pressure at a mere 250 more RPM’s. If that is that is the case, there is even more wrong with the equation.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Why is it that a Chevy guy feels the need to hijack a thread about the Ford V-10 reliability?

Oh boy, here we go...Being a Chevy guy has nothing to do with it. And to set the record straight, I am actually a GM, Dodge, Toyota, Cummins and BMW guy and even a fan of the big block Ford 460 V8 and 300 I6. The intent isn’t to hijack the thread but it seems anytime someone’s feelings get hurt in a discussion “hijack” or “troll” are the first words to pop up.

Back to the original posters question…is the V10 reliable? I say, yes it is compared to 6.0/6.4L Powerstroke despite an occasional spark plug that pops out of the V10's aluminum head and takes the treads with it from time to time. The V10 is no Ford 460, Dodge 440 and certainly not an 8.1L in the HP/Torque and durability department. If you like high reving small bore over head cam engines the V10 is for you. If you don't, there are better performing engines out there. Literally different strokes for different folks.

FishPOET

Adventurer
What do feelings have to do with anything. You posted your opinion and your opinion had nothing to do with the reliability of the Ford V10. Your opinion instead touted the wonders of your GM 8.1. Many of us choose to disagree with your opinion and that is best saved for one of the many Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy threads.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
What do feelings have to do with anything. You posted your opinion and your opinion had nothing to do with the reliability of the Ford V10. Your opinion instead touted the wonders of your GM 8.1. Many of us choose to disagree with your opinion and that is best saved for one of the many Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy threads.

Feelings play in here because it seems yours got hurt by the defensive looks of your posts. People in the posts above were brand bashing and nobody got their feelings hurt and went on the defense. I wasn’t brand bashing.

If anything, I am touting push rod engines vs. over head cam engines. I work for a diesel engine manufacture that also builds class 5 through 8 trucks and we stringently test (usually until they break through a wide variety of duty cycles), do comparative disassemblies and interview our fleet customers on all gas and diesel engines and that fit anything from class 4 truck on up. That is where I come up with my information whereas most people obtain their information based on one single truck that they personally own or something their buddy owns. I think my opinions are pretty well backed with reliable facts.

Is the V10 reliable? Sure, depending on one’s definition of reliable.

FishPOET

Adventurer
I think my opinions are pretty well backed with reliable facts.

A Ford V10 has to be spun close to 5,000 RPM’s in order to get into the power band

Obviously you either don't understand the term "get into the power band" or you have some misconception that 3500 rpms is close to 5000 rpms. So much for your opinions backed with your reliable facts.

The reliable fact is that the V10 "gets into the power band at approx 3500 rpms".

deminimis

Explorer
The in-laws have a V-10 in their E-350 Winnecrapo. After 11 years of abuse, the only thing that is worth a darn is that engine. Its a thirsty pig, but they've had zero issues with that engine. They last and last.

2Tracker

V-10

I do not own a Ford but several of our Brush trucks are Fords with V-10's. Those trucks are worked harder than most and they have not had any engine issues that I can recall. They get run on the governor all the time from a cold start and with a very heavy load as well. I would own one if I came across one for the right price.

bronconut

Observer
20+ year ford tech here, last 12 working on mostly oil field trucks:eek: Anyway the Ford V10 three valve or the two vale has been a very good motor, but it's going away next year. My first Super Duty was a 2001 model with the V10 and I could pull down 16-17 on the highway at 65 mph, had a intake and exhaust, and headers. For some reason it seems that the V10 trucks like the 4.30 gears better, must be the sweet spot for the engine. Most of the problems we see are from lack of maintenance

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I am done with this conversation but if the V10 was such a great engine and big block gas alternative why didn’t Ford use is it in the medium duty F650 on up trucks or sell it to the marine industry (Mercruiser, Volvo Penta, etc) or stationary power generator industry? Answer....because the V10 doesn’t have low end torque or could pass the "Marine Dock" test of full throttle for 300 consecutive hours without a failure that is why. High reving engines belong on sports cars not trucks or any commercial application.

bronconut

Observer
We know it's not a low RPM engine that point has been made. Ford already has stationary engines the 4.9L and 460 can still be sold for that because of lower emission standards for that type of application the old 4.9L and 460 can still be sold. I'm not into marine engines and I know they like a lower RPM torque but how big of a market is it? I'm guessing Ford didn't even bother looking at it. Back to the question yes the V-10 is a reliable engine, not ideal but it's what Ford had to do to meet emissions at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles