Barlowrs Expedition Tacoma Build

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Thanks for the answers! I am a couple years from needing it (unless I come across a small fortune) since the boy is only 2. The weatherproofing thing was another question I forgot to ask. I have a Mombasa RTT that is a few years old now and needs to be waterproofed again in the spring. I didn't expect perfection out an RTT that was <$1000. It has been a fantastic tent for us though and has weathered many a rough storms in the Upper Peninsula here right on the shores of Lake Superior with no leaks. This past year though I started noticing a little moisture coming through so I figure an "update" will probably take care of it.

I like the option of being able to build teh inside of the shell to my likings too. The other option I am considering is a commercial-type shell build still using the RTT on top.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
Nice work, you beat me to the roof mount light bar mount, I was just in the process of doing that this weekend. Trying to mount mine to factory holes though.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I'll chime in on the cold factor.
Desert camping gets cold. Maybe not as bad as the Great Lakes. I have been in my flippac in sub-freezing temps and it isn't comfortable. Wind is another issue in the desert and the flippac can get very noisy with the wind. There is a screen channel running the length of the tent on top with a cover. The cover catches wind and can make a good nights sleep a challenge. Those with the new SLO rainfly's can comment about how they insulate for temp and wind. I know I want one for sure.

All that said I have done some awesome trips with my flippac and it has made camping much more pleasureable. I have a build out in the back which isn't too special but it does the job for me and I can pack the back of my truck for travel and everything has its place.

Wainiha

Explorer
Wow. Just...Wow! I read through this whole thread for last couple of hours. I can't even remember my questions now. I definatly will be borrowing some ideas.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Red light in cab and same in flippac.
Add tripod, long exposure, a dash of external illumination (flash or headlamp wash) and good camp site.

barlowrs

Explorer
Now this photo needs to win some kind of award! FANTASTIC!

View attachment 134318

Can you give us particulars on how you did it?

Red light in cab and same in flippac.
Add tripod, long exposure, a dash of external illumination (flash or headlamp wash) and good camp site.

haha pretty much spot on...I just bought the camera a few weeks ago and have been trying to learn how to take good pics, so i practice a lot (never had a good camera before this).

but for this shot basically, my headlamp (LED) is off to the left infront of my truck giving some external lighting, that is why you see a bit of glare on my front bumper. I turned the red light on inside the flippac, then open the truck door so the dome light (which I have changed to red) is on. I give it a 10 second count and open the shutter (10 seconds so the dome light goes off very quickly after the shutter is open otherwise the cab is saturated)...I will have to look when I get home but its probably about a minute exposure.

I will post specifics of aperature, shutter speed, ISO, etc when I get home and check the raw file.

barlowrs

Explorer
Camera is a Nikon D7000. Lens on that shot was the kit 18-155mm (I think, I will hvae to verify it was not my 35mm prime)

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
That is a nice pic. I bought a Canon T2i back in July and have been messing with taking better pics also. There is a lot to it for sure. The end results are much more gratifying then what you end up with a point-and-shoot though.

t4rman

Adventurer
Clean build thread! Are you involved in Aviation by any chance? The materials you are using make me wonder. (braided sleeving, rivnuts, stainless, etc...)

Edit, just read your profile. I thought so.... :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles