H2 Overlander

jackflash

Observer
Has any one used a Hummer H2 has an expo platform? I never thought much of these trucks until I saw a group of them run the Rubicon trail, most which were bone stock. They all made it with no real big issues.

What do all you out there in Expo Land think?

I found this Picture on a Hummer Forum. Looks like something I am thinking of.

Attachments

• Bikes_Mounted.jpg
    Bikes_Mounted.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 102

02TahoeMD

Explorer
They can be cool, but I'd rather have a Tahoe (same platform).

Actually, the H2 is kind of a composite of a 2500 rated NBS SUV and the Tahoe frame. H2 has the 8 bolt axle components of the heavy duty rigs, plus lockers, which is a big difference from the Tahoe. (if I ever had the money I would love to throw the 8 bolt goodies under my rig) One of the biggest complaints I have heard about H2s is the comparative lack of visibility from the windows.

All that said, I think that an H2 can be a fine expo platform, and there is a great site dedicated to a guy who has done lots with his Hummer.

Yellow H2 / Jerry Reynolds Photography

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
You would run out of gas kitty real quick

parts and dealers almost non existant..outside the US

soon to be fully supported in China !

Ron B

Explorer
My take on the h2, having owned and wheeled one a lot for almost a year:

The h2 is pretty off-road capable and comfy as hell. The common misconceptions are amusing -- it's no heavier than many trucks out there yet people think it's the heaviest thing on the road next to a semi. It's mpg is the same as any truck it's size (and many smaller 4x4's). It will out-wheel or at least keep up with pretty much any suv right out of the box. It has great approach and departure angles and decent ground clearance (10+ inches). It comes with 35's and can take 37's with no mods. Has a decent traction control system and a rear locker. Comes with an on-board air compressor. It's wheelbase is 7 inches longer than a Tahoe, yet it's over-all length is a foot shorter and has many options a Tahoe does not.

It's break-over angle is not the best because of the long wheelbase. It needs (needed) a diesel. The storage space seemed small for a truck of that size and weight. The suspension components aren't necessarily designed for a truck that heavy and with big tires to be rock crawling. It is a wide truck (meaning lots of desert pinstriping), but stable.

I would never say something so stupid like "it's the best ever" because it's not. But it is a good truck right out of the box. I agree that it might be tricky out of the country, but in North America there are plenty of parts (and gas stations!). I ended up selling mine after about 10 months -- it wasn't great for the type of wheeling I was getting into and at that time there was no aftermarket support.

I sold it and got a 97 hummer open top -- much more fun, more capable, more smiles, and...more maintenance!

rb

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've stuck an H2 rear axle under a Tahoe, worked great. Since the front frame section of the H2 is the same as the HD trucks, a solid axle swap is pretty simple. Then you don't have to worry about those puny little tie rods!!

I haven't looked, but I assume that a nice H2 can be picked up for a good price these days.

Ron B

Explorer
might want to buy some heavy duty tie-rods.

God, that's an old video with the 1st gen tie-rod (the video's from early 2003).

Tie rods are under $100 and take about 20 minutes to replace -- they rarely go. Like I said in my previous post:
"The suspension components aren't necessarily designed for a truck that heavy and with big tires to be rock crawling."

jackflash

Observer
02TahoeMD thanks for the link to the Yellow H2. That is more what I would be looking at doing with it.

If tie rods are the only real issue with these trucks, than I don't see an issue at all. I don't want to do any real hard rock crawling or anything, if I wanted that I would just use the Jeep.

I want an overland vehicle that I can buy and do little modification to yet still be able to run some real medium trails (maybe a light hard here are there). The H2s sound like they will do this with little issues. I have gone back and forth between an excursion and an H2. I have seen excursions on the trail, all modified and and most do well. I have seen H2s on the trail, all stock (minus the 37" tires mod and a tie rod mod) and most do well. I have rode and drove a H2 on the road and highway, very comfy for what it is.

I have done some research on them and they are not anything like a Tahoe, more like a 2500 or I guess you could maybe say a 2500 Tahoe, but i don't think so. Although were I live not many people wheel them, they like to bling them out.

Last edited:

el-cid

Observer
I've owned one for almost a year and love the hell out of it. I'm glad people address some of the common misconceptions out there about the H2, namely the "it's a Tahoe" and "it must get 5 mpg" comments. It is a composite of GM parts (so even though there may not be a lot of dealer support now lots of the parts are available at any GMC or Chevy dealer) and if I'm not in a big hurry I can get 14-15 mpg with mine on the Highway. We have a 98 Yukon that's never gotten any better than 16 mpg on the highway so that's not bad for a 3/4 ton full time 4 wheel drive heavy rig.

I've thrown a brush guard and a roof basket on mine and plan on doing a few more things. It hasn't ventured very far off road (like a lot of them I suppose) but it will just as soon as I get it paid off. You can fit a full-size air mattress in the back and it's super capable off-road with the factory locker and the built-in air compressor so you can easily air down tires to run trails and air back up before hitting the streets/highway.

There are some incredible deals out there so go test drive some and if it's what you're looking for don't be scared to pick one up.

jackflash

Observer
Thanks everyone for the input on this. I have asked this question on other forums and seem to just get a bunch of bashing going on. I don't think it is cool to bash anybody's rig. I am more of a "run what you brung" type of guy. I like to see all the different rigs out there.

timh

Explorer
Just saw a report the other day, the H2 is among the top 10 most expensive vehicles to insure!:sombrero:

Ron B

Explorer
Just saw a report the other day, the H2 is among the top 10 most expensive vehicles to insure!:sombrero:

the G-Wagon is on the same list...and more $$.

the hummer hatred thing is silly -- I remember it 1st starting when Huffington was attacking Arnold while running for CA governor. I sometimes experience it on the internet, but rarely in person (the few I have had in person are all behind my back or muttered under their breath as they walk or drive away). It's always bs unless someone has owned and wheeled a particular vehicle they are bashing -- not just watching youtube videos and/or seeing one driven by ************ yuppies clogging a trail because of inexperience.

rb

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier