Overland Hadley

on a journey
4Rescue said:
2910505016.jpg

Today, this is my dream rig!

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Lynn said:
Assuming, of course, I would WANT a green rover.

I would love to have one of those, I was actually looking at them before this thread arose from the dead... A Rover would just be easier to acquire than one of these.

I look forward to your G-wagon build thread!

:sombrero:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
I distinctly remember my first encounter with one of these - back in the late '80s early '90s, I was driving shuttle vans at the Albuquerque airport. When bringing customers back to the rows of cars, I would ask them which vehicle was theirs in order to stop exactly at their parking spot. On one occasion, the guy said "it's the gray Mercedes jeep down on the right". Even though we were far up the row, I said without skipping a beat "you mean the Geländewagen", and I used the proper German pronunciation. The big smile on his face said he was glad to know I wasn't like the other drivers who could barely distinguish a Ford from a Chevy.

Gurkha

Adventurer
G Wagens are legend, one of the few to come with front and rear diff locks and are among the most durable:26_13_1: of off roaders out there. Their workhorses are the diesel ones specially the early 460/461 versions with minimal electronics and venerable OM616/617 combo. The body panels are tougher than TLC and so is the drive train and they are meant to take abuse and survive.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
charlieaarons said:
The G Wagen with the camper is special, built up by someone like Hellgeth in Germany. It has very nonstock Mog axles with CTIS and 275/80R20 XZLs.

Charlie
AHHH, I now see the mog axles, don't know how I didn't notice that.

I'd still rather have a 70 Series, but these things are just so cool and "ugly functional" (and look an awful lot like 70's to boot eh) it hurts. Gotta love a truck that's built for a purpose that's not boulevard cruising. Good find and thanks for the links as well. now I have a ton of reading to do... just what I needed ;)

Cheers

Dave

sami

Explorer
This is my buddies '84 Gwagen.. He has a parts rig for it, and has been working on it for a few years. I agree that the motor isn't anything impressive, but it goes like hell off-road... Gotta love the factory hydraulic lockers.

102507_2035.jpg

Here's his wife's '02 Gwagon... Yep, he wheels the $70k rig :) The trail that these pics were taken on is rated 4 on the standard 'Moab' rating scale; 5 being highest. Gwagon snaked through without a scratch.

100_1265.jpg

100_1236.jpg

100_1238.jpg

Last edited:

4x4abc

Adventurer
Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen

almost 25 years go I started my expedition and 4x4 teaching career with a 1986 300GD - sold 13 years later for $8k more than I paid for it. Theses machines are not only super strong and capable - they also hold their value very well.
I own a boat load full of other capable 4WD vehicles now (various Jeeps, Toyotas and Mercedes G), but my new G500 is my absolute favorite for long term self contained travel (I know every bush and cactus in Baja on a first name basis). Forget all the rumors about unreliable electronics and Diesel being better than gas - I have never owned a more dependable vehicle than the G500.
Don't believe in roof tents, fridges etc etc - KISS makes you lighter and more flexible. Serious money should be spent on larger tires (really large) and lower gears. Most of the time I don't even use a tent - what's wrong with sleeping on the ground when its 80 all night anyway.
Sometimes, when my trailer is empty, I sleep on the trailer (only because i save the tarp).

http://4x4abc.com/G-Class/
http://www.4x4abc.com/G-Class/Death.Valley/index.html

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
4X4abc: that is one cool looking rig. I'm so used to seeing the g500's around here with all the chrome and bling. It's really cool to see one that looks like a real truck. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Dave

4x4abc

Adventurer
Bling

Thanks Dave,

yes, I removed and sold all chrome (covered the front grill bars with black electrical tape and rattle can blackened the star). No chrome bling. None on any of my other cars either.

And none of my cars is burdened with worthless pseudo expedition bling either (pick+shovel, HiLift, snorkel etc etc).

They all have sufficiently tall tires (around 35"), a low crawl ratio (80:1 or better), f+r independent diff locks and rocker panel protection for aggressive rocks. Anything more (except maybe a winch, and they are debatable) I consider decoration.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
4x4abc said:
Thanks Dave,

yes, I removed and sold all chrome (covered the front grill bars with black electrical tape and rattle can blackened the star). No chrome bling. None on any of my other cars either.

And none of my cars is burdened with worthless pseudo expedition bling either (pick+shovel, HiLift, snorkel etc etc).

They all have sufficiently tall tires (around 35"), a low crawl ratio (80:1 or better), f+r independent diff locks and rocker panel protection for aggressive rocks. Anything more (except maybe a winch, and they are debatable) I consider decoration.

Never understood the snorkel thing on petrol trucks, diesel maybe but not petrol. I like your minimalist approach. KISS.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
4x4abc said:
Thanks Dave,

HAHAHAHAHAHA... Funny thing is I have "decorations" on my rig. Namely a basket and a shovel... I use them quite regularly so I deem them nesescary. To each their own though. And for me here in the NW with all the water crossings and the dust in the summer, I will be running a snorkle at some point. I'm trying to work out a plan to do the same as you with the trim. I want to balck everything but I think I'm going to go with a black out set of mouldings and some plastic spray paint. My buddy's a painter so he can prep anyhting for paint for me.

-Kellymoe: what don't you understand about snorkles on Petrols? Are you refering to the electronics? If so there are numerous ways to "waterproof" the stuf and I really do belive in the benefits of using them. the trucks I drove in OZ both Petrol and Diesel were proof enough for me after seeing non-equiped trucks and what happened to them on a few unfortunate ocasions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94