Gelaendewagen

Alpinestar

i belive i have found the vehicle for me and it will be easy to obtain because my father works for the company
gwagen1997.jpg

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I hope your dad is is the Director of the "Ex Euro-spec Legal Importation" Department for Daimler-Chrysler, because there's only a handful of 2-door Gelandewagens in the US, mostly either one-off gray market imports or imported through Europa International, which was a Santa Fe, NM-based business that specialized in importing the Gelandewagen as an agent for MB before the company decided to do it directly.

Seriously, great vehicles, originally designed in the late-80's to fullfill a HUGE contract for the Shah of Iran. After the Shah was deposed in 1979, MB was left with a lot of expanded manufacturing capacity (most of it at the Steyr-Puch plant in Austria) and a vehicle designed for a now defunct military contract. MB ended up selling quite a bit of these to NATO armies, and then decided to do a quick civilian conversion that sold pretty well (and unchanged) well into the late 90's.

Parts can be sourced through any MB dealership but can be rare and as with any other MB, *expensive*.

Since they're pretty exotic, you'll either have to wheel with fellow G-wagen enthusiasts or carry a LOT of your own parts. Not worth it if you ask me...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The G wagens even in mall crawling civilian form are quite capable vehicles, if you can find someone who will wheel a $75K+ rig. They were originally designed and built for overland travel and put to some military use. the are full time four wheel drive with a two speed transfercase, center locking diff, and independent front and rear locking diffs. the have solid axels and about the same ground clearance as a stock Tacoma, some where around 10". They are sold in this market as a mall crawler and for the upwardly mobile SUV driver so they do not see a lot of off road use, but, replace the 20" wheels with some 16"'s, and some taller tires you are pretty much set to go. I am planning on buying one of these to replace the Trooper if it ever dies. Another downside is that there doesn't seem to be much aftermarket support for these rigs in the US. Perhaps a new business venture?

CLynn85

Explorer
We had a Military spec IFAV at work this summer for another project. Got to drive it around base a lot, unfortunately never got a chance to take it around our test track. I liked the vehicle a lot but interior space was at a premium, it fit me well but some of the larger guys were uncomfortable driving it (real good for a soldier right?). It was a 24V system, being a NATO military vehicle, but not sure if that applies to the all. It felt fairly gutless driving it even with the turbo I5 and half the body chopped off. The beadlocked rims were uber-cool. Really wish I could've flogged it offroad but this one was borrowed :(

pangaea

Adventurer
The Gwagen is an incredibly capable vehicle. I know a few Gwagen owners here in CO and have had the chance to go wheeling with them before... quite the machine. My only complaint is that the suspension articulation seems to be a bit lacking. But, who needs articulation when you've got locking front and rear diffs?

FWIW- Tom Sheppard, author of the highly esteemed Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide, ditched Land Rovers a few years ago and went to driving Gwagens for his desert expeditions. That's quite an endorsement in my book, especially considering his long relationship with Rover.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have been a long-time fan of the G-Waggon. But I am not a fan of pretentious (appearing) vehicles. They have no place in the third world and create problems.

If we could get a simple diesel G, that would be excellent. I see them from time to time on ebay. My uncle drove his diesel Merc sedan for almost 400,000 miles on the original engine and trans. Only minor repairs.

pangaea

Adventurer
I agree. Personally, I don't care for the actual G500 iteration of the Gwagen, because it is a bit to luxurious, but the underpinnings of the vehicle are still there. I guess their decision to shift it upmarket was a "keeping up with the Jones'" move on par with the Range Rover.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Two weekends ago.......when I couldn't make it to Pismo because of my dang Overdrive not working.....I headed out to Anza~Borrego instead. After a night of camping in Blair Valley.....we headed out on a 50+ mile expedition which included the Diablo Drop off. I met a fellow 4x4 explorer (his screen name is "Expedition66") at the top of Diablo in a very Kewl Jeep and invited him to visit this website. We then headed down the drop off. We had to stop for a group down at the bottom who where coming up the "wrong way/backwards" the Diablo trail.

In the middle of this group was a late model $80,000+ Black 4 door G~Wagon with no lift and stock looking wheels/tires.....that was following all the jeeps it was with. They went up the lower steep narrow "V"......then straight on up the drop off. The stock G~Wagon just kept right up with all the lifted Jeeps.

Now I would never take an $80,000+ 4x4 out in the dirt....nor would I EVEN THINK of buying one.....let alone take it on THIS trail! But it looked pretty Kewl!

Last edited by a moderator:

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
The g wagen is a very capable vehicle, it is used a lot in europe for anything offroad. I've seen pictures in a Spanish magazine of Gs from the Paris-Dakar to the Rainforest Challenge in Malaisya. Take a look at the pictures.

Attachments

• Titani.jpg
    Titani.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Raduno%20Duro%20&%20Puro%20organizzato%204WD%20Acireale%206%20Marzo%202005%20(208)_JPG.jpg
    Raduno%20Duro%20&%20Puro%20organizzato%204WD%20Acireale%206%20Marzo%202005%20(208)_JPG.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 216
  • asdf.jpg
    asdf.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 268

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94