Gelaendewagen

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Just a few minutes ago I came across an ad for a 1995 G300 long wheelbase, petrol engine for US$20k. I think I'll pass.

I'm in an old MB mood lately. A G better come along soon before I spend my money on a 1956 MB 220S (W180). Discussion of that car, however, is for an altogether different website.

Last edited:

smurf

I have an 86 300d Gwagen and it's bulletproof and a lof of fun:smiley_drive:

imagem065ok8.jpg

Gurkha

Adventurer
Lets mention G Wagen for what they are, pure, over-engineered highly capable and in some ways unique off roaders that with the right techniques can go anywhere even in places where other off roaders would fail. Also their drive train can take abuse far more than other contemporary off road vehicles.

Its immaterial who uses them or what and why they were made for. Only person I would truly like to thank for the G is the late Shah or Iran who in early 70s persuaded MB to bring back the G again and look at what it got us all.

esh

Explorer
Caught this a couple weeks ago in Germany.. somewhere on a back road to Hohenzollern castle near Stuttgart. Great looking rig. Wish we got these utility versions in the States (wish we still got utility Cruisers in the States!).

_MG_0727.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Caught this a couple weeks ago in Germany.. somewhere on a back road to Hohenzollern castle near Stuttgart. Great looking rig. Wish we got these utility versions in the States (wish we still got utility Cruisers in the States!).

_MG_0727.jpg
:drool:

ESH, I belive however that there is one of those running around over near 11th/Milluakee and Powell at that BMW/Merc shop on the south side of Powell before you go over the Ross Island. It's a SWB with a cloth top with that cool "lace-on" attachment (although I'd probably not like it after awhile, probably pretty noisy out on the highway). There's also another dark blue SWB rolling around as well. I thought it was funny because as soon as we got this new section I started seeing them more and more often.

Cheers

Dave

Burton

That is one sweet looking rig... The tire description the guy gives leads me to belive that either english is a second language or he has no idea what he's got there.

Sweet truck though eh.

Cheers

Dave

It is a sweet truck. I came across it when I was searching for a Defender. Is his price reasonable? What do these things go for? Reading this thread has gotten me interested in this truck.

Thanks,
Burton

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Well another thread list's typical going prices as anywhere from 10-20K depending on the condition and the engine. I'd say if you've got the money and the desire to own one (and really what true Expo enthusiast doesn't to some degree ;) ) then hell, go for it. Jst do the usual things you'd do with ANY 4x4. Check for rust, check the air box, and check... well... everything.

Happy Hunting mate, if you do buy one, make sure we get a nice build thread with PICTURES to drool over eh :D

Cheers

Dave

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Bump, Great thread! I'd take a late model G before any Hummer! :smiley_drive:

My Raider is nothing more than a wannabe G wagon!

Last edited:

artiei

Observer
Originally designed in the late 70's not the 80's and are still being made in the original plant in Austria. Some were made via contract in Greece and France. The Shah of Iran was on the MB Board at in the 70's and asked them to build a capable off road car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94