Sportsmobile 4wd Sprinter

CLynn85

Explorer
Here's a photo of one after conversion to 4x4 by Oberhausongudentaughtenerrrr (sp?????) from Expeditioncampers.com

CIMG7847.JPG

Blair G

Adventurer
Blair G said:
I actually had sent an email to these people asking about the availlability of the kits to be exported a few months back. Got an email back saying that something was in the works for North America and they would not do it. I think they make a great camper. Lots of room,great fuel milage and flat sides.

Blair
Here is a pretty cool example. Check out the bottom when they go to an offroad park Prety cool 130 as well.

Blair
http://www.sprinter4x4.com/

mwoods

Sprinter 4WD conversion SMB

FYI, I just contacted SMB Fresno to find out where they are regarding the Sprinter 4WD conversion.

I learned that:
--yes, they do have one prototype 4x4; however, it is not available for purchase.
--Regarding future availability, they said they are at the the very beginning stages of designing a 4x4 for the 2008 Sprinter and are at least a year out.
--In addition, whatever they come up with will not necessarily be a retrofit for earlier models.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
4WD Sprinter

This vehicle came up in conversation when I was ordering my SMB which I picked up last week. From the "inside" I was told that after they did this one conversion, (yes the red one in the pictures is a 4wd vehicle), Mercedes pulled the plug and the project is dead in the water for now.

Things may change in the future but for now there was no Sprinter 4wds in their future.

Fred
Explorer 1

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
G35Vortec454 said:
I agree, why didn't they make it a little wider with a wider track?

It's built for european city streets. A full size american truck or van wouldn't even fit between the curbs on some of those streets. Not too mention that it's the only full size van that you can park in a standard parking space and get out of the door comfortably. Once you drive one you see that it's clearly the superior vehicle. especially the high roof that you can wal around in.

oldasme

what about a lift and locker

Do they come with a locker. I have heard of guys lifting vans and with the aid of a locker in the back pushing vans where you wouldn't think they could go?

Sorry new guy first post. have a 87 pathfinder. I love the old billy goat! its pictured under jbrando70 on the yahoo 4x4 vans group. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4x4van/

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Kermit said:
Man, If I could get a 4WD version of this, I would never go home. Not for serious wheeling, but, great for ski/bike trips.:drool:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/3_bikes.html

lopes_top_01a.jpg
GO LOPES!!!! BL is such an unrealy smooth rider...

Those Sprinters look awsome. I kind of agree with SoCal, I'd rather have the E350 4x4 conversion van for more intense offroad use, bu that springter with it's Merc Diesel Option is great, and like Rob said, intended for different markets.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
I seen this guy 2 days into my 2 week M/C trip back in march. We were waiting on the ferry down in Mobile Bay. It was a guy, his wife and a fairly new baby.

136991890-M.jpg

135259710-M.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I actually had sent an email to these people asking about the availlability of the kits to be exported a few months back. Got an email back saying that something was in the works for North America and they would not do it. I think they make a great camper. Lots of room,great fuel milage and flat sides.

Blair

Sorry to pull up an old thread from the past, but last I spoke with Iglhaut(I don't believe Oberainger ever got back to me) they had no plans for US expansion due to the sheer cost of building a rig in Germany(they won't let anyone else build one with their supplied parts) and then shipping it to the USA.

Iglhaut does have 3 lockers however--front/center/rear, just like a G. :drool::smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne