Sportsmobile 4wd Sprinter

hoser

Explorer
sprinter4x4_02.jpg

http://www.sportsmobile.com/6_news.html

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
It is, according to the article. Available with AWD and 4WD. Could be cool providing they are not too tippy. I have to say that the Badgertrek Web site erased any confidence I had in Sportsmobile. While it may have been an anomaly, crappy workmanship in places it will never be seen is rarely isolated to one vehicle.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
From the link provided -

Fresno, CA -- Sportsmobile West is excited to announce the introduction of a Four-Wheel Drive option for the Dodge Sprinter chassis. Sportsmobile debuted their 4x4 Sprinter at the Los Angeles International Auto Show Dec. 1-10 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

Sportsmobile West has developed a strategic alliance with Oberaigner GmbH Fahrzeungtechnik, an Austrian four-wheel drive component developer and the manufacturer of four-wheel drive systems installed by DaimlerChrysler in the Mercedes Sprinter chassis built at the Dusseldorf, Germany, factory.

Sportsmobile West will be the exclusive supplier and installer of this system in the United States. Oberaigner and Sportsmobile are very excited about their partnership and look forward to supporting the United States market with this impressively designed and manufactured 4x4 system.

The Oberaigner company was founded in 1977 by Wilhelm Oberaigner. In 1985 Oberaigner developed the four-wheel drive technology on the T-1 from DaimlerChrysler AG to support the demand for this option in Europe. The company has since expanded and enhanced the development of four-wheel drive components and systems. Oberaigner is now the fixed system supplier to DaimlerChrysler AG in Germany.

The four-wheel drive system will allow for better traction in foul weather and off-highway uses. The system includes a new transfer case with independent and front drive axle for shifting power to the front wheels in addition to the stock rear drive system. The system also features a completely engineered and designed front axle assembly and steering system, new drive shafts, and a rear axle kit. System options will include an all-wheel drive permanent system and a four-wheel drive two-speed system.

The start-up production date for the Sportsmobile Sprinter 4x4s is Spring 2007. #

I still think these are some odd looking vans, but I do like the tall and narrow bodystyle (designed for the narrow European village roads), for off road travel in North America, over say the wider Mogs and Benzs.

Blair G

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
It is, according to the article. Available with AWD and 4WD. Could be cool providing they are not too tippy. I have to say that the Badgertrek Web site erased any confidence I had in Sportsmobile. While it may have been an anomaly, crappy workmanship in places it will never be seen is rarely isolated to one vehicle.
I stand corrected! I love the Sprinter and have always said an all wheeldrive version was needed. Don't think of it has a heavy duty offroader but will definetly make a nice setup even more usefull. A friend of mine just bought a Westy conversion of the Sprinter and it very cool

Blair

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
hoser said:

...and I thought my F350 had a crappy breakover angle...:Mechanic:

Seriously though, it is great to see some more fuel efficient choices for expedition camping vehicles.

Cheers
Mark

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yuck. Ill take the Ford version instead thank you. That just looks funky.. and if you lift it a few inches it will roll on its side lol

Cool. But I'll pass. (as if i could afford one anyways)

Robthebrit

Explorer
SOCALFJ said:
Yuck. Ill take the Ford version instead thank you. That just looks funky.. and if you lift it a few inches it will roll on its side lol

Cool. But I'll pass. (as if i could afford one anyways)

You'd take a ford over a sprinter, you are the first person I have ever heard say that!

Really its not fair to compare them as they are made for different markets and different buyers. Mercedes has awesome worldwide parts and service support, you can't even get F350 parts in Europe - go figure.

I wonder why Sports mobil imported the custom 4wd version when sprinters are available from the factory with 4wd and lockers. I can only think its because they buy US sprinters from Dodge and fit the 4wd kit here, therefore the truck is legal and has a US Federal plate, a euro 4wd sprinter would not have the fed plate and therefore could not be imported.

Rob

Blair G

Adventurer
offroadchef said:
Found a company that does the same thing in Germany. this month they feature a smaller MB van. This site is in English

http://www.iglhaut-allrad.de/htm/e_home.html

I actually had sent an email to these people asking about the availlability of the kits to be exported a few months back. Got an email back saying that something was in the works for North America and they would not do it. I think they make a great camper. Lots of room,great fuel milage and flat sides.

Blair

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Rob,

I was speaking about the ground clearance, approach and departure angles and overall length of the rig. It just wouldnt work well on much unless you are on gravel or dirt roads. Anything else and i hate the say it... it just looks like it would get hung up way to easily. The Ford would work much better for what i do. I should of said that the first time.

It's true what you say about different markets. I agree with you. It's a great product.. just not the right one for me.

Dave

Robthebrit said:
You'd take a ford over a sprinter, you are the first person I have ever heard say that!

Really its not fair to compare them as they are made for different markets and different buyers. Mercedes has awesome worldwide parts and service support, you can't even get F350 parts in Europe - go figure.

I wonder why Sports mobil imported the custom 4wd version when sprinters are available from the factory with 4wd and lockers. I can only think its because they buy US sprinters from Dodge and fit the 4wd kit here, therefore the truck is legal and has a US Federal plate, a euro 4wd sprinter would not have the fed plate and therefore could not be imported.

Rob

CLynn85

Explorer
Is that even a 4wd one in the picture? I've been browsing the site a lot lately and they've offered the rwd ones with agressive tires and a package just like that for a while now so I suspect they may have just recycled a picture. Also, from the article it doesn't sound like they've even built a SMB out of one yet.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
CLynn85 said:
Also, from the article it doesn't sound like they've even built a SMB out of one yet.

From the article - Sportsmobile debuted their 4x4 Sprinter at the Los Angeles International Auto Show Dec. 1-10 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

Sounds like they've built at least one. Don't know if that's it in the photo or not....?

blupaddler

Conspirator
YES, the Sprinter does come in 4wd...I looked around it at the San Diego International Auto show last weekend.
From the peering, the front appears like an "A" arm IFS front suspension.

The Sprinter is a great model, great gas mileage, stand-up head room, and could go probably 90% of the places in Baja and elsewhere we go.
:1888fbbd:

They had a couple models to look at. They had the motorcyle model, really neat actually considering you can fit two motorcycles in the back, and still have a good living space in the main area.

My only complaint was that they rope off the interior so you can't go exploring inside. :smilies27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne