37" spare in a Cherokee, and some other stuff-

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
It can be done; the load floor of an XJ to the ceiling is exactly 36.63"...it took some shoving and zero air pressure to make it fit. I spent the week on the Rubicon with a buddy; the rig weighed in at 5000 lbs without us in it and made it the 2000 miles round trip with only a few hickups (toasted O2 sensor, air filter, etc). I'm amazed at what XJs can do...they never cease to amaze me.

109.jpg

IMGP0594.jpg

_DSC0390.jpg

428.jpg

203.jpg

After fixing the O2 sensor, hitting the throttle body with some carb cleaner, and replacing the air filter, I got 15 mpg. Not too shabby considering the terrain I was covering on the way home, from Nor Cal to Seattle through the Siskiyou Mountains.

On a personal note, here I am using my Father's Coleman stove on the second anniversary of his death. He found this exact same stove abandoned at the enterance to the Rubicon Trial in 1972, driving his Toyota FJ55. He never ventured past the Gate Keeper, but the stove has served our family admirably and without fail for 35 years. Note the JPFreek T-Shirt. ;)

002.jpg

-----Matt-----

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Funny that. We got our camping stuff out for the first time in eight years a few weeks ago (it was a good trip!).

Sure enough, there was my Dad's old Coleman stove. It was old when I was a kid. We didn't take it though. We used to always take our MSR Dragonfly before kids but figured that now that we have kids we'd better get a new Coleman since Dad's was pretty ratty and we'd likely need two burners. Now I feel a guilty and stuff for not fixing Dad's up again. LOL

FWIW, I really like the new Coleman propane stuff.

Btw, clever using the rear foot well for the tire. :)

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Nice pics Matt. Always wanted to run the Con..

Do i spy a short, balding, GI who recently moved east driving your rig in that one shot? :smiley_drive:

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
Do i spy a short, balding, GI who recently moved east driving your rig in that one shot? :smiley_drive:
Haha, yes you did. He flies back East tomorrow, but it's been a really fun trip for him. Some more:

246.jpg

009.jpg

Our high-tech campsite:

132.jpg

129.jpg

118.jpg

112.jpg

-----Matt-----

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members