95 2 Door Tahoe SAS project

Rot Box

Explorer
Thanks for the compliments. I guess I forgot to post up the updates sitting in my garage.

-RD114 ARB Air Locker for a GM 14 Bolt
-RD167 ARB Air Locker for a Ford High Pinion Dana 60
-High Pinion Dana 60 completely sand blasted and rebuilt
-4.88 Gears for both of the above axles
-ARB Fridge/Freezer
-Rebuilt Hydroboost Brake Booster
-Full PSC Power steering system (IFS Box doesn't like no assist, not a strong design as the older trucks)
-Freshly rebuilt 454 Motor, stock build on Gen VI platform, with all new 454 TBI components. Goal is to swap in and swap chip, then done. Has edelbrock 3764 intake, roller rockers, factory roller cam setup, 9.1:1 compression, Comp 264HR-13 cam, long tube headers to come

:Wow1: :drool:

1995 was the last year you could get a 5-speed in a 2 door Tahoe. Albeit a NV3500, but at least it was a manual. I worked at GM in Detroit in vehicle sales, service and marketing during this time frame and had exposure to the production numbers back then which was less than 1,000 5 speeds in 1995 for Tahoe's. Most of which were plain-Jane 1SA work trucks for export to the Middle East.

Look me up if you ever head to down this way. I would love to see your rig!

That's an interesting bit of information. I have only hear rumors of a manual option in this body style 2door--never seen one.

boellis87

Observer
95,000...I would've guessed even lower than that for the condition. I would guess a little old lady owned this before you, but I don't know too many little old ladies that drive a five speed :smiley_drive:. I've got a cousin who's a die-hard five speed fan that would kill for this set-up (not literally, so don't worry ;)) Hope I can scrounge enough dough up to throw some of the same goodies on my pickup. Again, very nice job.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
BEAUTIFUL!! I love that era with one exception... IFS. Now that you have changed that and kept it clean it is the perfect rig! Way to go I love it. Hope I run across you on the trails here in CO so I can see that in person!

biglos454

Adventurer
simply amazing! i love your suspension set up. its came out very clean. great attention to detail. its one of the cleanest looking SAS ive seen on a late model.

D

Deleted member 12023

Sway Bar

Excellent work on the SAS swap!

So I have to know about the sway bar. I am new to this but when I lift the front of my truck I want to change out the sway bar. I have seen similar ones on the Carli website but they are outrageously expensive and don't fit my truck.

So my question is..which bar did you order?

You seem get get plenty of flex from it..do you think it is too soft, to stiff, or just right for the weight of your truck? Also, did you order the arms or make them yourself?

Thanks

wrench-head

Observer
The sway bar was the fattest(stiffest) they offered and I think it is great on the tahoe. It doesn't let the body roll at all. I can take turns and the offramps just like stock. I based my decision off of testing Stephen at ORD did and I have no regrets. If I was going to do front and rear I would step down in diameter though. I don't plan to, hence the 1 1/4 diameter bar. It flexes ok, but if I take it off the alcans come to life and the 14" shocks earn their keep. I don't wheel with it connected, due to the fact that it does limit front end flex, but on the street it is my favorite part of the SAS.

-Alex

wrench-head

Observer
Funny you mention the 5 speed numbers. I was dead set on a 95 for the new interior and TBI. When I searched autotrader and craigslist for them there were only 3 and ALL were sticks in Longmont. Something weird in that city I tell you, every car I have looked for specifically has been on a lot in that city. I test drove all three and bought this one due to a blown rear axle that I fixed. The dealership let me have it for what they paid, since they were scared of fixing the 10 bolt. Cost me 75 for a ring and pinion then she was back on the road.

-Alex

boellis87

Observer
Kind of a weird question, but I'd like to know how the leafs handle semi-fast speeds on whoops or washboard roads. I'm assuming since they're custom that they ride pretty well, but one of the reasons I'm going with coils on my truck is so that I'm capable of running pretty quick over rougher terrain even with a solid axle. I head down some farm roads and some of the trails close by my house have stretches that beg to be taken at a quicker clip. Not desert-race style, just fun. Don't know if you've tested them like that yet, just curious.

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Funny you mention the 5 speed numbers. I was dead set on a 95 for the new interior and TBI. When I searched autotrader and craigslist for them there were only 3 and ALL were sticks in Longmont. Something weird in that city I tell you, every car I have looked for specifically has been on a lot in that city. I test drove all three and bought this one due to a blown rear axle that I fixed. The dealership let me have it for what they paid, since they were scared of fixing the 10 bolt. Cost me 75 for a ring and pinion then she was back on the road.

-Alex

It is funny how that works. Back in 1998, when I still lived in Detroit and worked for GM I wanted a new Z71 extended cab short bed but with a 5 speed. None could be found in MI, IN, IL or OH. The closest one was in Minnesota but it was black. I used our vehicle locator and found my hometown dealer in CO had 3 in stock. There were a few more in Gunnison, Craig and Burt Chevrolet in Denver. I ended up flying to CO to pick one up in Pueblo and drove it back to MI. The funny thing was the truck was built at Pontiac East Assembly, which was less than 10 miles from where I lived in Rochester. Once I got it back to MI it hated it as it was a PITA to drive in big city traffic. I traded it for a Silverado HD (with a stick) when we were relocated back to CO, as it was already sprouting rust from all of the midwestern road salt.

It was only a NV3500 but at least it wasn’t an automatic.
3131988503_a894940fc4_o.jpg

Very accurate picture of the manual trans status….
3131988527_96e11a599f_o.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
3500 to 4500 swap

My brother has a 91 short bed regular cab that came with the 4.3 V6 and an NV3500. The swap to a 4500 was pretty easy. Later on the swap from the GM NV4500 to a Dodge style NV4500 was an almost bolt in deal. Putting the 6BT in front of that was not easy ha ha :snorkel:

BBsound

Adventurer
hey wrench, can I get a few pics of it sitting flat and level? I have a 96 2 door that needs some lovin'

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles