Here she is level in a parking lot

DSC06229.jpg

DSC06231.jpg

and the front with the warn and lightforce, still waiting on the rope

DSC06230.jpg

-Alex

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Man, that is a great looking rig! I love those medium duty door handles too! Great job on this.

wrench-head

Observer
backspacing is 4.5", I am trying to keep the top post up to date so that is there now.

-Oh yeah I forgot about the medium duty handles. Definately the way to go.

wrench-head

Observer
Engine

Here are some old pics of the motor, as it was 2 yrs ago. Just for fun.

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010065.jpg

That was for another truck so all the accessories and intake are different now along with the cam.
-Alex

wrench-head

Observer
No that was in a previous build. This time will be a much smaller cam and a TBI intake. Going for stock, just had this engine laying around and figured I would use it instead of a small block. I looked into a LS conversion, but decided against it. This will go in with the following:

Edelbrock 3764 intake
stock 454 tbi and injectors
comp 264XFI cam
9.5:1 compression
full roller
cast crank/rods/hyper pistons

All in all I don't have much into the motor. I have all the parts but the flywheel. If this motor doesn't work out then I can try something different 383,6.0,502, 8.1,...?

-Alex

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Well, that is good. There is a nice spot for all carburetors right in the trash can. I have no issues with TBI but it is surprising how many people ditch TBI and go back to carburetors…. TBI is a very easy and reliable system to run.

I have a Marine L29 7.4L MPFI intake, ECM (RamJet 502), and harness (RamJet 502) available that I ran on my K10 for a short while before the 8.1L swap. If you are ever interested PM me.

This is the marine L29 intake on a 454HO running a RamJet 502 controller and harness before the 8.1L engine swap.
2404163175_fcb9c803cf.jpg

While LS swaps are popular, an 8.1L swap is much easier, as it bolts right in and you can reuse your 454 headers, manifolds, etc. Harnesses and PCM tuning options for the 8.1L have really grown in the past year. Turn off “Torque Management” and add a 87 octane hot tune to a 8.1L will get you over 400 HP and 500 lb ft of torque with a stock cam, injectors, etc. I am extremely happy with mine. The only thing I would consider replacing it with would be a Cummins and I doubt I would gain much power…but more MPG....and engine weight.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
Truck looks great, too bad that 8.1L motor is $1500+ on ebay or from local junkyards.

Really like the stance and rim/tire choices.

boellis87

Observer
backspacing is 4.5", I am trying to keep the top post up to date so that is there now.

-Oh yeah I forgot about the medium duty handles. Definately the way to go.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide what backspacing to go with when I get around to ordering new wheels.

fowldarr

Explorer
This rig is simply awesome, my 94 yukon rolls shamefully into the garage, it's hitch tucked between it's wheels everytime I pull up this thread.

Snafu

Adventurer
I'll bring my C1500 by and let ya have at it...thats exactly what I'd like to see for my old girl :drool:

I keep playing with the idea of keeping her around and doing an SAS plus the conversion to 4X4. I know the old 305 wouldn't agree with that too well and this would get expensive quick but this old truck has hauled my butt all over the country and done a damn good job at it!

The truck is solid and I know everything that's wrong and right since it was purchased new by my dad and driven by him about the first 9 years. I don't know if I could ever get this beyond the dreaming stage!

wrench-head

Observer
It took a lot of planning and parts searching to get it all right. The out of the box kit is ok, but leaves a lot of room for improvement. I could have done it a lot cheaper, but then it wouldn't be what it is. Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I don't know if I would do it again for someone else, 48hrs of grinding and cutting to clean all of the old suspension off is a lot of work.

-Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles