Hard tail or Soft tail Mountain Bike?

jammyauto

Adventurer
I'm in the market for a mountain bike and was hoping for some advise from the seasoned single track riders here. I currenty ride a carbonfiber cannondale road bike and have an aluminium commuter bike. Between riding to work and riding the road bike I ride about 80 miles a week. I'd like to ride more.

I want a bike for long rides, not a downhill bike. THe bike has to be light as possible. I'm leaning towards a carbonfiber hardtail bike. Is there any reason I should consider something else?

korisu56

Adventurer
I ride a hard tail and my riding buddy rides a soft tail. The second I can quit building my CJ for expo I will be buying a soft tail. You can adjust riding stiffness of a softail for comfort. You're gonna feel everything on that hard tail.

My 0.02. Good luck.

EMrider

Explorer
I'm in the market for a mountain bike and was hoping for some advise from the seasoned single track riders here. I currenty ride a carbonfiber cannondale road bike and have an aluminium commuter bike. Between riding to work and riding the road bike I ride about 80 miles a week. I'd like to ride more.

I want a bike for long rides, not a downhill bike. THe bike has to be light as possible. I'm leaning towards a carbonfiber hardtail bike. Is there any reason I should consider something else?

As I'm sure you know, it all comes down to how and where you intend to ride the MTB. People happily rode hardtail MTBs for 15+ years so there is no necessity in going full suspension. A hardtail can do pretty much anything. But no question a full suspension bike is more comfortable to ride and easier to control on many MTB trails. I ride around Santa Barbara pretty often and would choose full suspension any day for the stuff up there. Lots of steep and chunky stuff where full suspension really shines. Not a lot of long and flowy XC riding unless you get way into the backcountry. IMHO, the front range MTB trails around SB are among the best anywhere. If you intend to ride on the street as well as on the trail, then a hardtail probably makes more sense. Bike mag latest issue has an excellent series of reviews on all types of bikes, including best value choices. With current technology, you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot of performance. Good luck.
R

trailsurfer

Explorer

I would get a Titanium 29er Hard tail. If you want light, durable, and a great ride, you can't beat Titanium. And with the 29er wheel, it is like having 3 inches of travel. I would look at Titus, they have a couple of new designs this year, and they have gotten great reviews.

jammyauto

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to reconsider my options. I was mosty just thinking that a full suspension bike would be alot tougher on the uphills. When I'm in Santa Barbara I'm pretty happy on the road bike. I've got lots of riding buddies and theres group rides like 4 days a week. THat's not to say that I would not ride a mountain bike here though. When I really want a mountain bike is when I travel in my SMB. Mountain biking is available in the remote places I like to camp at. The roadbike is not so good on washboard.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to reconsider my options. I was mosty just thinking that a full suspension bike would be alot tougher on the uphills. When I'm in Santa Barbara I'm pretty happy on the road bike. I've got lots of riding buddies and theres group rides like 4 days a week. THat's not to say that I would not ride a mountain bike here though. When I really want a mountain bike is when I travel in my SMB. Mountain biking is available in the remote places I like to camp at. The roadbike is not so good on washboard.

One of my favorite mtb rides is Little Pine looped back around to Camusea just over old san marcos pass. I rode hardtails, ti and aluminum, when I lived in Goleta and rode those trails, but it was also the time I made the switch to FS bikes for 80% of my mtb riding. How's Gibraltar these days? I used to love that road ride. That and the lake loop around Lake Casitas. Lots of great riding around there!

jammyauto

Adventurer
I love riding Gibraltar. I just rode it yesterday morning. All the way up I get passed by pichups full of downhillers. I like climbing on the roadbike but I think coming down off road would be a blast. I have never done it. Can't wait to get a mountain bike.

EMrider

Explorer

Yep, a hardtail probably climbs best. But most FS bikes these days can be adjusted to help when climbing. Just stiffen up the suspension a bit and climb away. Then reset and enjoy the decline. I used to road ride a lot but now only ride the MTB. When on the road, I used to climb out of the saddle often. On the MTB, I never stand and mash. Always stay comfortably seated and just spin away.

I've considered trying to ride up Gibraltar and come down Tunnel when it reopens. Need to get in shape a bit more, but that would certainly be earning my fun after a climb like that.
R

dustboy

Explorer
I'd say if you have the $$ buy a decent 4-5" XC full suspension. The technology is so good these days that the rear suspension stays mostly rigid under pedaling loads. When you are climbing rough technical trails, the suspension is actually helpful because it keeps the rear tire in contact. And, when you go downhill, it's way more fun.

Don't get too hung up on weight, most superlight bikes are not as much fun to ride as their heavier counterparts because they're too floppy. Having a slightly heavier bike that has the stiffness to put a tire where you want it will give you more confidence, I guarantee. This goes not just for the frame but all parts.

Material-wise, I have my prejudices. I wouldn't spend the big money on carbon fiber unless I was a hard-core racer. Aluminum is still king for full-boinger bikes, for the sake of rigidity. For a hardtail, steel is where it's at since it's more forgiving. I don't care much for titanium, I think it's just bling. Too many noodly bikes have been made from the stuff. I'd take a top-end steel frame over Ti, and suck up the small weight penalty.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As stated above, this entirely depends on where you ride and how you ride. Like many, I started riding and racing on a hard tail in the mid 80's, but my full suspension riding first started in 1990. I have gone back and forth several times since and have owned fleets of both styles of bikes. For me, I'll only ride hard tails here on out, but I know how I like to ride and where I like to ride. My path has taken me to 29er hard tails and I've never been happier.

Regarding weight, do keep in mind that weight is only relative to the weight of the bike AND the rider and even then, only within the world of climbing. Climbing speed is the product of weight (bike+rider) vs. watts, so unless you don't have another couple pounds to lose, don't worry about a couple pounds on your bike. And as we all know now, rotational weight myths are now bunk, so as long as your bike is in "normal" weight ranges, that's all you need.

Regarding materials, the best way to spot an uninformed opinion is to look for people who generalize and say things like, "titanium is this and aluminum is that...." Materials are only what you make of them. You can get just about any material to do anything you want it to do. Keep in mind all frame builders are shooting for the same goal - lateral stiffness and vertical compliance. Just read through bike reviews and you hear the same mumbo-jumbo regarding those qualities regardless of the material. So, should you seek a carbon bike with stiffness and compliance, surely you can find it. Same for Scandium, aluminum, steel, ti and even the bamboo bikes I've ridden can be made to feel pretty slick.

Honestly, I'd just be careful soliciting advice on what to get. No one will know what you need more than you. Take a mental inventory of where you ride and how you ride and start there.

Last edited:

trailsurfer

Explorer
I'd say if you have the $$ buy a decent 4-5" XC full suspension. The technology is so good these days that the rear suspension stays mostly rigid under pedaling loads. When you are climbing rough technical trails, the suspension is actually helpful because it keeps the rear tire in contact. And, when you go downhill, it's way more fun.

Don't get too hung up on weight, most superlight bikes are not as much fun to ride as their heavier counterparts because they're too floppy. Having a slightly heavier bike that has the stiffness to put a tire where you want it will give you more confidence, I guarantee. This goes not just for the frame but all parts.

Material-wise, I have my prejudices. I wouldn't spend the big money on carbon fiber unless I was a hard-core racer. Aluminum is still king for full-boinger bikes, for the sake of rigidity. For a hardtail, steel is where it's at since it's more forgiving. I don't care much for titanium, I think it's just bling. Too many noodly bikes have been made from the stuff. I'd take a top-end steel frame over Ti, and suck up the small weight penalty.

Totally disagree on Steel versus TI. I have both, and have had both. TI doesn't rust, absorbs bumps and washboard, it is just ideal for a hard tail as long as it is well made. It also works great for full suspension bikes as long as the rear triangle is made of aluminum or carbon. I ride thousands of miles of single track every year, and for my money you can't beat TI.

I don't care about the weight, I just prefer the ride over aluminum, carbon, and steel.

jammyauto

Adventurer
I've considered trying to ride up Gibraltar and come down Tunnel when it reopens. Need to get in shape a bit more, but that would certainly be earning my fun after a climb like that.
R
If I have a mountain bike when tunnel reopens I'd go with you. I live on montrose place right off tunnel rd. (We're bracing for the possibility of mudslides now with 4 to 5 days heavy rain the the forecast).

After what I've heard here I think I'll rethink my plan and start checking out some FS bikes. Sounds like aluminium might be the best "bang for the buck" so to speak.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Totally disagree on Steel versus TI. I have both, and have had both. TI doesn't rust, absorbs bumps and washboard, it is just ideal for a hard tail as long as it is well made. It also works great for full suspension bikes as long as the rear triangle is made of aluminum or carbon. I ride thousands of miles of single track every year, and for my money you can't beat TI.

I don't care about the weight, I just prefer the ride over aluminum, carbon, and steel.
I agree with you, Trailsurfer. Titanium is perfect for hard tails. It's hard to justify it for many road bike applications now, but for a hard tail it's prime.

I also agree with your opinion of 29er wheels feeling like they rival 3" of sprung travel. The dynamic nature of a 29er wheel is nothing short of amazing to me.

By the way, are you heading down for 24 Hours of Old Pueblo?!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
For a hardtail, steel is where it's at since it's more forgiving. I don't care much for titanium, I think it's just bling. Too many noodly bikes have been made from the stuff. I'd take a top-end steel frame over Ti, and suck up the small weight penalty.
You fail to mention WHICH steel bikes and WHICH titanium bikes. Not all steel bikes are compliant and not all titanium bikes are noodly. In fact, I can't think of many Ti bikes at all that are overly flexy, and there have been more than a few steelies that have ridden like jackhammers. Anyone remember riding a Fisher Montare from the early 90s?? Ouch. Brutal.

jammyauto

Adventurer
Regarding weight, do keep in mind that weight is only relative to the weight of the bike AND the rider and even then, only within the world of climbing. Climbing speed is the product of weight (bike+rider) vs. watts, so unless you don't have another couple pounds to lose, don't worry about a couple pounds on your bike.
At 6ft and just a wee bit under 200lbs it would certainly be cheaper for me to cut back a little on the Ben&Jerry's than spend that extra$$ money for the last few pounds on a bike. You advice here is spot on but still I'm a sucker for nice stuff will probably buy a bike that is better than my ability. Yeah I'm a poser!

Honestly, I'd just be careful soliciting advice on what to get. No one will know what you need more than you. Take a mental inventory of where you ride and how you ride and start there.
I can appreciate this advice but the thing is I have'nt been riding any off road yet since I don't have a mountain bike yet. I could probaby start by borrowing some bikes though. That can be a little hard though.

I should have reaized this before starting this tread. I was kind of just under the assumtion that the FS bikes were mostly just for the downhill stuff. If it's not obvious by now I'm new to mountain biking and even though I ride my bikes all the time I really spend zero time reading about biking. The guys I ride with are only into road bikes period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier