Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Unimog Camper under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Joaquin Suave View Post
    Welcome to the group Iain,

You might as well save yourself the future hassles by building your box with standing room from the get-go.

Kind regards

Joaquin (the un-sharing one)
    I agree that standing room is a mist - My plan is to have a 1950mm internal height in the main walking part of the camper - I plan to copy the BC Camper mog right down to the paint scheme - it should look just like in the photo excet for the bigger fuel tanks, bull bar and front and rear winches.

Quote Originally Posted by mhiscox View Post
    Thanks for sharing information about your Mog and your plans, Iain.

FWIW, the pictures of my large Unimog 416 ex-rail camper are available on the web at:

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/mhis...rMogAssortment.

The pictures will give a good idea of the layout and equipment, and the photos have captions with explanations of what you're looking at.

Good luck,

Mike
    Thanks for that Mike - are you happy with your layout - is there anything you would change if you had to do it all again?
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    Unimog U1250
    videos

If I would have to do it, I would create a lift roof!

Like this one: http://unicat.net/de/pics/BS6KD-2.html

Makes it way easier to fit into a shipping container, better fuel economy, no exposed windows while driving (scratches and stone throwing kids) and better while offroading in dense forests or narrow streets (with balconies!).

Just a thought!

Andreas

I plan to copy the BC Camper mog right down to the paint scheme
    Are you aware that the sides of BC campers box is flat, with no fillets like in your electronic model? I think the paint job is making you think that the body is more complicated then it is.

Thought your box is "styli" adding the fillets increase the cost and reduce the useable inside space.

Have you thought about lengthening the frame? What little you give up in top-over (MOG's have plenty to spare) you will get hugely rewarded in living space. The inside of the BC rig is tiny.
    The .12%

Quote Originally Posted by Iain_U1250 View Post
    Thanks for that Mike - are you happy with your layout - is there anything you would change if you had to do it all again?
    Camper Mog's layout was great, offering the flexibility for anywhere from 1-4 people. I'd have broadened the front bunks a little, and added maybe two inches width to the bathroom. I would not have changed anything about the rear area, as it worked out very well. (Except that the two side windows at the rear were going to be replaced with opening ones.)

All in all, I think the camper had one of the great layouts ever done. Unfortunately, much of this is because it is relatively huge and has the near-unique advantage of a walk-through cab-to-cabin passthrough.

BTW, while Victorian is right about how sweet a lifting roof would be, on a cabin the size of Camper Mog, it's quite a challenge. Thomas Ritter told me many years ago that the increment for a lifting roof Unicat cabin over an otherwise-identical fixed roof cabin was $50,000, a figure which implies considerable complexity.
    Mike Hiscox

2003/2014 Sprinter 2500 mid/tall custom conversion
    2012 Porsche Cayenne TT on Duratracs
    2008 Lexus GX470
    1989 Yamaha FJ1200 sidecar rig

Quote Originally Posted by mhiscox View Post
    Camper Mog's layout was great, offering the flexibility for anywhere from 1-4 people. I'd have broadened the front bunks a little, and added maybe two inches width to the bathroom. I would not have changed anything about the rear area, as it worked out very well. (Except that the two side windows at the rear were going to be replaced with opening ones.)

All in all, I think the camper had one of the great layouts ever done. Unfortunately, much of this is because it is relatively huge and has the near-unique advantage of a walk-through cab-to-cabin passthrough.

BTW, while Victorian is right about how sweet a lifting roof would be, on a cabin the size of Camper Mog, it's quite a challenge. Thomas Ritter told me many years ago that the increment for a lifting roof Unicat cabin over an otherwise-identical fixed roof cabin was $50,000, a figure which implies considerable complexity.
    Only $50.000 more? Dude, you got a deal there!

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian View Post

Makes it way easier to fit into a shipping container, better fuel economy, no exposed windows while driving (scratches and stone throwing kids) and better while offroading in dense forests or narrow streets (with balconies!).

Just a thought!

Andreas
    But a lifting roof like this offers immensely more room inside the camper
    http://www.unicat.net/en/info/GEX46HD-MANM4x4CC.html
    And you don't lose very valuable storage space near the roof at head level. In mine there are 9 small cabinets used to store kitchen things and clothes. And my "closet" is used to store tools, travel books, parts and computers so the room at the top is the only place to store clothes etc.
    My greatest shortage is not GVW, like many other campers; but storage space.
    IMHO there is little hope of fitting a Mog into a container.

Charlie
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons View Post
    But a lifting roof like this offers immensely more room inside the camper
    http://www.unicat.net/en/info/GEX46HD-MANM4x4CC.html
    And you don't lose very valuable storage space near the roof at head level. In mine there are 9 small cabinets used to store kitchen things and clothes. And my "closet" is used to store tools, travel books, parts and computers so the room at the top is the only place to store clothes etc.
    My greatest shortage is not GVW, like many other campers; but storage space.
    IMHO there is little hope of fitting a Mog into a container.

Charlie
    That's a sweet looking MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian View Post

I think that one like this would allow for an inordinate amount of rain, bugs etc etc into the camper portion when you are raising and lowering the roof. (If you look close the sides, front and rear all fold into the camper prior to the lowering of the roof. If it was raining horribly out, what would you do with that thing? Better yet if it was tornado rain outside, and you wanted to park and go to sleep? Could not raise the roof and thus could not sleep. The bed is too near the roof. Imagine if you could not get one of the long sides up due to the high winds.

I don't know, looks fine in concept, but IMHO it is poorly thought out for a year round live-in vehicle.

Charlie,

Are you saying that you have one of the MAN unicats with the lift roof (as pictured in the link you posted)?

Thanks for all the comments and advice - we looked at a pop top but found it too complicated and since the raised roof on the cab puts it higher than a container - height was not a major concern.

The chamfer on the roof are there basically for protection - the tilt of a truck on a dirt road here in Australia will mean the corners take out, or get taken out by overhanging branches. All the radio boxes and the military trucks I have driven in my SA army days have had chamfered corners, except for one model and i would have to estimate that around 80% of the trucks we had at the base had one or the other top corner dented or damaged.

The chamfers on the rear corners are there because I want the truck to look different - the chamfer is quiet simple, with light bracing and folded sheet metal, however it made a very strong "roll bar" at the back for minimal weight, and I have a similar "roll cage" at the front - we will have passenger seating in the back and I want them protected as well. The loss of interior space is minimal, and because it is in the bed area, it would not be usable space anyway. I plan to have the bed quite high up - so maximising the "boot" underneath.

Still - as you can tell I'm in the planning stage, so things can change.
    Last edited by Iain_U1250; 09-06-2011 at 03:25 AM.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

A bit more work on the camper this weekend - I got the subframe and the start of the camper box welded up. A lot more work to go - but a lot of "visual progress" - makes it look like something now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast