Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667

Thread: Unimog Camper under construction

That looks pretty complicated, how do they work? Manual pump somewhere?

I think I'll to some test with lowering the tyre pressure and see how much angle change I can get. In all our travels we have not had any side slopes as bad as that, and I don't think many of the little 4x4 touring vehicles could handle much more than that if they have anything on the roof. I think they would be great if we were constantly doing the rough tracks, but we try not to do them

Maybe some form of pneumatic cylinder to push / lock the downhill side of the axles , maybe an airspring on the bump stop
    Last edited by Iain_U1250; 12-29-2016 at 03:38 AM.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    Unimog U1250
    videos

The LMTV and FMTV's have hydraulics on board for the cab lift, spare wheel lift , winch and the suspension pull down. The suspension pull down looks easy enough to operate but too much hassle to set up if you don't already have a hydraulic pump ..... Sorry Iain thought you might have had one.
    Last edited by whatcharterboat; 12-29-2016 at 07:54 AM.

Hello Iain,
    I am considering doing a Mog camper on an ex-army U1700L. Do you have any photos of one of these trucks showing the tray connection to the mercedes 3 point torsion system. I have looked on the net, yet to find a photo that shows the setup. I am thinking of converting a second-hand freezer pan and wondering if I can mount it on the existing tray or remove the tray and put on my own subframe, then build the torsion setup between the subframe and the camper.
    Great build you're doing.
    Regards
    Oldgrey52

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrey52 View Post
    Hello Iain,
    I am considering doing a Mog camper on an ex-army U1700L. Do you have any photos of one of these trucks showing the tray connection to the mercedes 3 point torsion system. I have looked on the net, yet to find a photo that shows the setup. I am thinking of converting a second-hand freezer pan and wondering if I can mount it on the existing tray or remove the tray and put on my own subframe, then build the torsion setup between the subframe and the camper.
    Great build you're doing.
    Regards
    Oldgrey52
    This thread have some useful info and pictures....

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...campers/page38
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

The mounting system on my truck was from a U1700, I had to cut it down to size.

This is the centre mount

This is the front mount.

I cut off the heavy outer member, and made the tray narrower to suit the aluminium sheeting I was using for the cladding, mine is 2,2m wide. Let me know if you need more pics and I'll see what I can find in my records. If you get hold of the Unimog Body Builder Handbook, that gives a lot of details on how to mount the four point system.

Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Hello Iain,
    what brand/model crimper did you purchase.
    Thanks
    Oldgrey52

I got this one from the US

Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Ian how has your side view cameras held up.... well all your cameras for that matter? Would you do anything different from what you know now. Could your side view camera's replace your side view mirrors? Sorry... I admit.. I don't recall where you mounted your side view cameras.

All the cameras are working great. They are set up on top of the branch bars, so they show the top corner of the truck as well as the side view. The housings have taken quite a few hits from branches, and have survived. I set them up so I could see if we were going to hit any branches. The also show things next to the truck, but I don't think they could replace the mirrors, as the screens are a bit small, even in single view mode. It would take a much bigger screen than the ones I have for it to be used as a mirror.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Quote Originally Posted by Iain_U1250 View Post
    All the cameras are working great. They are set up on top of the branch bars, so they show the top corner of the truck as well as the side view. The housings have taken quite a few hits from branches, and have survived. I set them up so I could see if we were going to hit any branches. The also show things next to the truck, but I don't think they could replace the mirrors, as the screens are a bit small, even in single view mode. It would take a much bigger screen than the ones I have for it to be used as a mirror.
    thanks.

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667