Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Unimog Camper under construction

Default Unimog Camper under construction

Hello all - I have just come across this forum and would like to introduce myself.

I have a Unimog U1250 which started life as a Road-Railer for the New South Wales railways fixing their overhead wires and doing various track work.

I plan to turn it into an expedition vehicle for firstly travelling around Australia, then shipping it to Singapore and driving up through SE asia and China to Magadan in Russian, then across to Europe, and hopefully down through africa to South Africa before shipping it back to Australia.

The first photo show what it looked like when I got it home from the auction, the second what it will look like in a few months time and the third what it looks like now.

I'm currently working on the interior layout and would love to hear from other Mog (and other similar camper) owners about their layout, what they like, what they would change etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    Unimog U1250
    videos

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader
    Welcome to ExPo, Iain!

Have you seen Stephen Stewart's web pages about the construction
    of his U1300 camper? http://www.unimog.org.uk/mymog/

Also be sure to check out Darrin Fink's U1300 http://www.ki7xh.com/camper.htm

Both sets of web pages are loaded with details about the camper builds.

Chip Haven

Thanks for that Chip - I've seen those website - both were inspirational in choosing a Mog as base vehicle for what I wanted to do.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Quote Originally Posted by Iain_U1250 View Post
    Hello all - I have just come across this forum and would like to introduce myself.

I have a Unimog U1250 which started life as a Road-Railer for the New South Wales railways fixing their overhead wires and doing various track work.

I plan to turn it into an expedition vehicle for firstly travelling around Australia, then shipping it to Singapore and driving up through SE asia and China to Magadan in Russian, then across to Europe, and hopefully down through africa to South Africa before shipping it back to Australia.

The first photo show what it looked like when I got it home from the auction, the second what it will look like in a few months time and the third what it looks like now.

I'm currently working on the interior layout and would love to hear from other Mog (and other similar camper) owners about their layout, what they like, what they would change etc.
    Welcome Ian!
    Looks like you still have quite a bit of work left
    Funny that you show a picture of that finished Unimog. That one is based here in Victoria BC, Canada! Had a chat with the owner a while back and also got a tour after I told him that I worked for www.unicat.net
    It's a very nice mog! I think they are currently on a LONG trip.

Anyhow, have fun and please post lot's of pics!
    Cheers
    Andreas

Hi andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
    Welcome Ian!
    Looks like you still have quite a bit of work left
    Funny that you show a picture of that finished Unimog. That one is based here in Victoria BC, Canada! Had a chat with the owner a while back and also got a tour after I told him that I worked for www.unicat.net

Anyhow, have fun and please post lot's of pics!
    Cheers
    Andreas
    Hi Andreas - I've been trying to contact the owners of that Camper - seems like they have disappeared into the never-never. I would love to see some more photos particularly the interior layout.
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Solidworks model of the rear of my Mog.

The rear opens up as does the roof with shutters inspired by this mega build up:

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wot...y_19/index.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Iain
    Brisbane, Australia
    Land Rover Defender 110
    Unimog U1250
    videos

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
    I worked for www.unicat.net
    The Amerigo is an International Truck! Wow!

Stephanie

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader
    Amerigo is the name that the folks at Unicat Americas have given to vehicles based on the semi-custom Unicat Terracross cabin.

To my knowledge, three Amerigo vehicles have been built: One on an International 7300 chassis, one on an International MXT chassis, and one on a Unimog U500 chassis. The latter is owned by Charlie Aarons, an active member of this group.

I'm sure that Unicat Americas would be happy to build an Amerigo model using a different 4x4 chassis. For example, a Ford F550 cab-chassis can be ordered with 19,000 lbs carrying capacity, enough for a small Terracross cabin.

Welcome to the group Iain,

I have met the couple with that U1300 down in Baja. I tried to pull up their site for more pictures...But it is no longer functioning.

VERY NICE people!

An interesting note about they're rig...He spent a wheel barrel full of money lifting the roof (for standing room) of the military ambulance box. Every person (that I've had contact with) that has done extended travelling in mogs with former ambulance / radio boxes has gone to the expensive & time consuming trouble of modifying the boxes so they can stand up.

You might as well save yourself the future hassles by building your box with standing room from the get-go.

Kind regards

Joaquin (the un-sharing one)
    The .12%

Thanks for sharing information about your Mog and your plans, Iain.

FWIW, the pictures of my large Unimog 416 ex-rail camper are available on the web at:

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/mhis...rMogAssortment.

The pictures will give a good idea of the layout and equipment, and the photos have captions with explanations of what you're looking at.

Good luck,

Mike
    Mike Hiscox

2003/2014 Sprinter 2500 mid/tall custom conversion
    2012 Porsche Cayenne TT on Duratracs
    2008 Lexus GX470
    1989 Yamaha FJ1200 sidecar rig

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast