Xterra-What's with all the squealing?

PAyota

Observer
My wife's X is an '05 OR w/ the 6 speed. We bought it in May '08 w/ 25,000 miles. Before we took it home they had to replace the belt tensioner. They said it was a normal problem with these. At 58,000 the belt started making noise again. Changed the belt and problem solved. Now at 65,000 miles it squeals when you first start it until it warms up. Today it was raining and the belt chirped the whole 3 hour drive home from camp. This is my first Nissan and is there something I'm missing. My taco has 174,000 and I've only changed the belts once. Should I try the tensioner again. I believe I will change the belts no matter what. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I don't know how she is driving it like that. That sound just bugs the crap out of me. Thanks for any help.

Eglaisi

Yup, it's the tensioner. I just bought one yesterday for my 06 Frontier because it's squealing at startup as well. I'm doing the belt at the same time but decided to go with a Goodyear Gatorback instead of an OEM.

silentsamurai

Explorer
I've only had to change out my Belt. If anything just took the tnesioner out, or moved it around in place, and replaced the belt. I purchased another tensioner just in case. But always seems to be just a belt running low, never the tensioner. Doesn't really help you, but just telling you my experience with my 05 VQ40.

PAyota

Observer
I still haven't pulled the belt. Not sure what it looks like yet. I imagine if I change the just the belt it would stop making noise. How long is that going to last though. I had Jeeps before I bought my Taco and I've never gone through belts like this before. I guess its just the raw power of that 4.0 tearing them up-j/k. Well I think I'll pull the belt this weekend and figure out whats up.

Eglaisi

This is seriously a really easy belt to do. I did both the belt and tensioner yesterday in under 30min. A belt could probably be done in 15 or less. I'd say buy a belt and tensioner but just replace the belt. If after a few days the noise comes back, take the belt back off and replace the tensioner.

weatherm

Adventurer
Its not the belt. go buy a thing of comet for a $1 then put it on the water pump pulley where it meets the belt and just sprinkle it on the belt. might want to do it 2-3 times to fully coat the belt.

i changed my belt and it still squealed like a stuck pig... something to consider if the belt looks good.

It will dull the belt and allow some friction with the pulley. fixed mine at least... old mechanic told me... going strong now

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior