Well, I finally did it....

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Well the reason I began leaning more towards just getting the moto was mainly price point and bang for my buck. A new Madass is going to cost me $2600+, I can probably pick up a decent starter bike for $2k or less or get more bike for the same price as the Madass. I don't really have the money or the garage space for both so I figured I'll just go with the bike.

Reasons why you wouldn't take a TW200 on the freeway? Not fast enough? I need to be able to take the bike on the freeway at some point, I'm just saying that I'm not planning on doing it the first day I have it. :sombrero:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Reasons why you wouldn't take a TW200 on the freeway? Not fast enough? I need to be able to take the bike on the freeway at some point, I'm just saying that I'm not planning on doing it the first day I have it. :sombrero:

The TW starts getting noisy around 55 - 60 mph. It certainly goes faster -- and you can always change the sprockets to get better highway speeds out of it (they are geared a little low anyway), but it just doesn't have enough power, IMO, to spend a lot of time on the freeway. Short stretches aren't really an problem, but you certainly don't want to ride one up to Prescott, or down to Tucson (on the freeway).

Like most sub-250cc bikes, they just don't have the power. 55 - 60 mph all day long, 70 - 75mph, uh-uh. You'll want a bigger bike for that.

Oh, you should also be prepared for the inevitable fact that you will discover that you really do need more than one bike. Seriously. I'm up to 4, and still have a niche or two to fill.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well in that case, if you can only have one the scooter prolly isnt the best choice.

yeah its hard to do it all with one bike unless you can come to grips with the limitations and decide which ones are more important to you, in my case i trade highway comfort for better dirt.

at your height and desired use, i think something like this would be great
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1544805850.html

Rexsname

Explorer
Heidi,

My 400cc Honda tops out at 77 mph. I think I remember that Gears TW200 tops out at 53 mph. Mine is happy at 65, OK at 70 and scarey at 75. I keep telling myself that I'll have it for a full year before I decide what bike I want when I grow up. Traffic doesn't move at the speed limit so I'd like to feel like I had a little bit left in the throttle if I noticed someone coming up behind me at speed.

REX

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The number 1 rule of motorcycle purchasing, IMHO is:

Get a bike that "does it" for you...something that makes you smile even when it's sitting in the garage.

Congrats on passing the class!

-H-

wparkinson

Hello... This is my first post here so I figured that I would post something I know about. I have a 2005 KLR.... I love this bike... I have put almost 12000 miles on this bike in the last year.

I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want an adventure bike I can't think of a bike that covers the bill as much as the KLR. There are so many things avaible for this bike. I ride this bike offroad all the time. I can do 75+ in the dirt and 90+ on the highway. Yes it is heavy and it is ugly but you couldn't ask for a more reliable bike.

Here is mine:

4146477323_7cf0a53c30_o.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want an adventure bike I can't think of a bike that covers the bill as much as the KLR.

. . . except for those pesky BMW's that do it all, *and* look good while doing it! :peepwall:

(Actually, that doesn't look bad for a KLR . . .)

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
The number 1 rule of motorcycle purchasing, IMHO is:

Get a bike that "does it" for you...something that makes you smile even when it's sitting in the garage.

Congrats on passing the class!

-H-

I totally agree with this logic!!

Hello... This is my first post here so I figured that I would post something I know about. I have a 2005 KLR.... I love this bike... I have put almost 12000 miles on this bike in the last year.

I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want an adventure bike I can't think of a bike that covers the bill as much as the KLR. There are so many things avaible for this bike. I ride this bike offroad all the time. I can do 75+ in the dirt and 90+ on the highway. Yes it is heavy and it is ugly but you couldn't ask for a more reliable bike.

Here is mine:

4146477323_7cf0a53c30_o.jpg

I'm so happy you posted up because the KLR has moved to the top of my list. Its affordable, and at least here in Phoenix there are a lot for sale so my choices are good. Plus I really like the looks of the KLR, I think they are similar to some of the BMW's. I think its a great bike that I can ride for years to come and still enjoy until I decide if this is something that becomes an addiction or just a passing phase.

I went down to the DMV today and got my "M" so now I'm officially ready to go. I just need a bike!!

Rexsname

Explorer
Take a look at Twisted Throttles KLR650GS. It looks really cool. A fully farkeld KLR for less than a base model BMW. (of course)

I sure wish I knew how to post a link :(

REX

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Take a look at Twisted Throttles KLR650GS. It looks really cool. A fully farkeld KLR for less than a base model BMW. (of course)

I sure wish I knew how to post a link :(

REX

Sorry Rex, but that thing is U-G-L-Y!!!!!! :yikes:

attachment.php

wparkinson's looks much better. Still not as sexy as a GS though . . . ;)

Attachments

• 9541-500x600.jpg
    9541-500x600.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 203

wparkinson

Don't get me wrong a Beeemer is a sweet bike... but for the same flavor bike (IE 650 Thumper) You are looking at about 2X the money.

I don't really like the look of the 08-10 bikes... But That wouldn't keep me from getting a uesd one...and stripping off all the new plastics and modding it a bit... Mine has been modified a little... It was Red when I got it a year ago now as you can see its all black. I took off the stock fairing and repalced it with an aftermarket. The front fender is a KTM and the Handlebars are off a Honda 4wheeler.

The cool thing is that if you get a used one you can mod it up and do what you want and not feel guilty about it..... Its a great first bike...

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I'm with you Rex, I can dig the bumblebee!! I'd happily sport that thing around town anyday.

I agree with WPark though, I think I like the pre 08's a little better in styling. There is a pretty cool looking 08 on craigslist right now though that if I had the money for I would check it out for sure.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well heidi if the klr 650 is what your looking at for real i can vouch for it. before they got popular i rode one,, and everybody i rode with thought i was a little nutty for riding it, now look.
i didnt have aftermarket support or klr "buddies" like today, but i'll tell you what, it was the most trouble free 85k i have ever put on a stock non rebuilt never opened up engine. i didnt even replace the clutch pack.

rctr03

Adventurer
i bought an 09 klr 650 for $4,200.00 in september. it is a great bike! top
heavy off road, but the weight helps on the slab. my 84 xt 600 is more of an off road bike.

jimmy

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Sorry Rex, but that thing is U-G-L-Y!!!!!! :yikes:

Brian, you're missing the point: KLRs are supposed to be ugly and the more cheap, home-made, farkles and repairs the better. I just saw one at a campground in NZ utilizing a 5 gallon bucket as a top box and it didn't look out of place at all.

Unfortunately I'd need to cable-tie sizeable wood blocks to my boots so I could reach the ground so I won't be joining the KLR club anytime soon. As much as I agree that the F800GS is sexy, I suspect the next best thing for me is an equally cheap but significantly lower DR650. :)

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier