Well, I finally did it....

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
well heidi if the klr 650 is what your looking at for real i can vouch for it. before they got popular i rode one,, and everybody i rode with thought i was a little nutty for riding it, now look.
i didnt have aftermarket support or klr "buddies" like today, but i'll tell you what, it was the most trouble free 85k i have ever put on a stock non rebuilt never opened up engine. i didnt even replace the clutch pack.

Actually I was looking more in the 250 range to start...unless the kind expo folks can give me a reason not to. I figured it was a good amount of power for street, highway and offroad but if you have reasons the 650 would work please let me know!

I'll try to break it down for you with my current plan:
Street/Commuting = 85%
Highway = 5%
Dirt/Fire Roads = 10%

Obviously these things could change once I get the bike...I'd like to eventually use it more specifically for longer touring type trips so more highway/dirt but starting out what I have listed is what I'm thinking.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I don't know how tall you are Heidi, but I find the KLR to be too big. I'm 5'8", 170 lbs. Both my Xchallenge (current) and my DRZ (prior) are tall bikes, but don't feel anywhere near as big as a KLR, particularly the 2008+.

I'm not a KLR hater by any means. In fact, for the riding I do a KLR is the right type of bike for me. But for my level of ability and type of riding I do, I'd have to be 5'11" and 190lbs before I would consider one. But that's just me.

If I didn't have my XChallenge, I would have gone with a DR650 and modded it a bit to my liking. The one thing I found about my DRZ and I think most of the smaller bikes, is that they are miserable at 65+. If you stay off the highway, there is no shortage of great 250s.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I don't know how tall you are Heidi, but I find the KLR to be too big. I'm 5'8", 170 lbs. Both my Xchallenge (current) and my DRZ (prior) are tall bikes, but don't feel anywhere near as big as a KLR, particularly the 2008+.

I'm not a KLR hater by any means. In fact, for the riding I do a KLR is the right type of bike for me. But for my level of ability and type of riding I do, I'd have to be 5'11" and 190lbs before I would consider one. But that's just me.

If I didn't have my XChallenge, I would have gone with a DR650 and modded it a bit to my liking. The one thing I found about my DRZ and I think most of the smaller bikes, is that they are miserable at 65+. If you stay off the highway, there is no shortage of great 250s.

How about 5'11" and 145lbs?? I'm not as worried about the height of the bike, I think I have that covered, but the weight might be an issue.

I'm following a thread on ADV of a girl much smaller than I riding a KLR650 for her first moto ever...I'm starting to think if she can do it, I can do it and it might be nice to have the extra power on the freeway.......

I've also got my eye on a DRZ400s thats for sale...seems like its in good condition...2005...still lightweight enough but a little bigger engine. Might be the ticket. Now who wants to loan me the money!!!? :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Purzell

Adventurer
Rent one

Hey Heidi,

I'm female, 5'8" tall and I ride a TW200. I've ridden bigger street bikes before also. I've had a big 750-4, new Bonneville, scooters...
I rented a "new" KLR650 in San Francisco and took it out for a day. I observed it to be easier to straddle than the older KLR was and pretty easy to ride. BUT, it's a big bike, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's a single, sure, but it's alot of bike for a first timer. I LOVE my TW200, I ride it short distances on the freeway and off road on trails. If you want to know more about it you can PM me.
But otherwise, look for a place you can rent the KLR and take it out for a bit.
Did I mention that I love my TW? It's a great first dirt bike too, just my .02.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I'll try to break it down for you with my current plan:
Street/Commuting = 85%
Highway = 5%
Dirt/Fire Roads = 10%

what you have above covers pretty much any bike. but thats going to change when you start riding if only for the long road trip once in a while or that cool scenic dirt loop.
its a hard decision and its why so many riders have more than one bike. i have to think at your size that drz400s would put in the hiway stretches just fine when you start riding longer distance, i know the klr650 will do it, but it might be a handfull if you want to start riding more technical dirt, fire roads and maint. roads wont be a problem.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Thanks everyone for the replies. Purzell, I agree with you about the size of the KLR. It just looks heavy and I think it might be a little too much for me to start out with. If I wasn't for wanting to take it on the freeway and do longer trips I'd be all over the TW200, but I think that is just a bit too small for me.

I've requested more info from the guy with the Suzuki. As much as I love the KLR, I'm thinking something like this might be a better route for me to start with...a bigger engine than the 250cc but still about 200lbs lighter than the KLR. There also seems to be decent aftermarket support.

Purzell

Adventurer
One more...

If you're not thinking about off road too much, would you consider the new Kawasaki Versys? Friends of mine who have this bike LOVE it. It's considered an adventure bike but I'm not sure I would go trail riding on it...:Wow1:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm following a thread on ADV of a girl much smaller than I riding a KLR650 for her first moto ever...I'm starting to think if she can do it, I can do it and it might be nice to have the extra power on the freeway.......

Would that be Becky (Becktastic)? She certainly isn't a tall girl . . . she had to take 2" out of the KLR seat just to get her toes on the ground. She has also learned a few lessons the hard way -- but she makes up for her lack of inseam with a great attitude, and plenty of, uh . . . "youthful exuberance". Seriously though, it is her attitude that is letting her get away with such a big bike. When she falls down, she laughs at herself, picks the bike up (usually by herself), and gives it another go. She isn't easily discouraged . . .

There are usually a few extra bikes running around down here, so it isn't impossible to find a loaner (I've borrowed bikes from the locals when I took Becky and Marisa out for noob-rides).

Maybe we should set up a weekend camping trip down in the Dragoons (or somewhere similar), trailer a few bikes out, set up base camp, and let everyone test ride a handful of different bikes . . .

Last edited:

wparkinson

Look.. I am 5'8" and little over 200lbs... Yes the KLR is a big bike... I have ridden all types of stuff.... Single track, Flat fast gravel roads, mud, you name it... I started riding years ago but nothing real big.. Had a Honda 250 in High School, later I had a Honda Night Hawk didn't ride it much.

I got my KLR in December of last year... When I got it I started looking at the touing stuff... wanted to farkle it all out and make it a expedition bike... Well then I started riding with some guys over on ADVrider. Now as you saw above this thing has full knobbies (which I would ride anywhere) and can go from a fast pace on the pavement one minute and hop in the woods and tear it up... I love it.. It comes down to "What you get use to!" If you learn to ride it you will love it... The DRZ is a great bike too but it is a little too dirt for me.. plus the brick that they used for a seat was a trun off...

The KLX250 is sweet but I don't think you will be happy with it as a commuter bike. The TW250 is sweet but still a little small. The DR650 is nice too but it is OLD Technology and you have to worry about heat it just has an oil cooler no radiator...Not that the KLR is NEW technology but it still has a cooling system...

Any how.. I don't think that you will be un happy with the KLR but as you can tell I am a bit bias.....:sombrero::bike_rider::sombrero:

WP

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Well I'd like to think at this point it's between the KLR and the DRZ but it all depends on what I can find in my budget. There is a sweet KLR for sale in Tucson right now but it's a bit out of my price range, as I'm finding with most of them. The KLR is at the top of my want list for sure but my bank account is saying otherwise. Considering I still need to buy boots and panniers I'm trying to keep initial costs down for my first bike.

I really appreciate all the help and opinions here and I will be sure to let you all know what we both end up with.

Well I'd like to think at this point it's between the KLR and the DRZ but it all depends on what I can find in my budget. There is a sweet KLR for sale in Tucson right now but it's a bit out of my price range, as I'm finding with most of them. The KLR is at the top of my want list for sure but my bank account is saying otherwise. Considering I still need to buy boots and panniers I'm trying to keep initial costs down for my first bike.

I really appreciate all the help and opinions here and I will be sure to let you all know what we both end up with.

For now, dont get hard luggage. Soft luggage is a new rider's friend!

Boots have been my number one investment and I have gotten my money's worth out of my boots 6 times already!

The KLR and the DRZ are different bikes. Have you been able to ride both? Dont forget to look at the Honda XR650L its dead middle between the DRZ and KLR and will be cheaper than the DRZ. For example, I've got my fully (well nearly, needs bigger gas tank) XRL for sale for $2000.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
For now, dont get hard luggage. Soft luggage is a new rider's friend!

Boots have been my number one investment and I have gotten my money's worth out of my boots 6 times already!

The KLR and the DRZ are different bikes. Have you been able to ride both? Dont forget to look at the Honda XR650L its dead middle between the DRZ and KLR and will be cheaper than the DRZ. For example, I've got my fully (well nearly, needs bigger gas tank) XRL for sale for $2000.

Pics or do you have a listing anywhere?

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
You know guys and gals here is something else I just thought of that might make a difference in my decision. Josh is pretty much set on getting a 650 Dakar (I wish!), so am I going to have a hard time keeping up with him on the pavement in the DRZ? It didn't really dawn on me till now, but I'm dreaming of fun camping adventures to far off, distant lands such as Tucson :elkgrin: and what happens when we get on the freeway or highway??

I know the 400 won't be as zippy compared to the 650 but how much will it struggle to be able to ride with him rather than a few miles behind him??

Oni

Adventurer
Heidi

I would buy a used 250 class bike and learn to ride. It's hard to learn...and have fun if you're intimidated by a bikes size/power. Start smaller, learn to use the brakes, learn to countersteer, learn to take proper lines, get comfortable on it.

If you're concentrating on the bike too much, you won't have enough attention left to monitor traffic, conditions, etc.

When you feel the bike is holding you back...sell it and get something bigger. In the long run I'm sure it will make you a better rider. :bike_rider: You may have a better idea of what bike you want as I'm sure you will see some on the road and meet some riders as you are learning.

Oh...and a DRZ will keep up fine with the KLR.

Just because a bike is smaller doesn't mean it's any less fun or less capable. I'm really wanting one of those Yamaha WR250s! May not be the ideal bike for freeways (but check out some trip reports on ADV) but what a fun and capable bike!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier