BMG ADVENTURE suit/pant and jacket vs Klim Dakar pant

bmwf800gs

BMG ADVENTURE suit/pant and jacket vs Klim Dakar pant. Neck support?

Is the Klim Dakar pant much better for hot humid temps vs the British Motorcycle Gear Adventure? Or are they close enough not to waste the money on the Dakar pants since I have the BMG ADVENTURE? Or should I buy mesh and if so what should I stay away from brand and model wise? It seems Motoport is great but I can not afford it now. I also love the fact that it is made here in the U.S.!
Any other differences I should know?
Also for commuting and off road is a neck brace not practical something like the Leatt or some other model/brand?
I am new to motorcycling. I come from the mountain biking and road biking sport. So I am thin and I wonder if that makes any difference in the brace or clothing.
Is a persons range of motion/ability to turn the head and be safe affected in a negative way by wearing the Leatt or some other?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Adventurerider

Adventurer
I'm a gear junkie as my wife puts it, and own more jacket's and pants then I care to admit, KLIM stiff is made really well and for the most part here in the USA, so I would go for there plants, now as for your type of riding an for a riding jacket. I still think the BMW Rally 2 Pro is the best most well thought out jacket out there... I have several Rev-It pants & Jackets combo's including the Cheyenne Pro, then also a Sidi/Spidi ADV Pant Jacket combo, again also really nice quality gear, but also very pricy, First Gear Kilimanjaro Pants & Jacket (was one of my first set up, killer in cooler weather) or the Olympia Bushwarker (solid all the way around) an for the price, hard to beat (I just sold one not to long ago, not because it wasn't nice but because I or should I say my wife explained to me that didn't need another jacket that did the same thing as others). An finally my two favorite/old stand by's ones that get used an abused more then any others, Troy Lee's ADV Jacket (Blais) and his explorer or KLIM pants. By far one of the best thought out jackets, super comfy, reasonably priced, not super warm for colder days but gives you enough coverage, Just depends on the ride/weather, and if it's a colder or not sure what going to happen through out the day, I use my Rally Pro. But as for the KLIM Pants I use them with both Jacket set ups. The KLIM and Blais are right next to one another as far as my Favorites go. What type of riding (only your BMW 800 GS?) are you going to be using your gear for and at what type of climate/altitude/2 lane road, jeep trail or single track, what size bike are you riding, how much stuff do you take with you, do you ware a Leatt Brace, riding skills, racer, club racer, rec rider etc??

P.S A great tip for this up coming season, try the new AXO Prime Boots, you won't be sorry, best bang for your buck out there 1/2 the price as the top of the line Sidi and made by the same designer as the whole Tech Series from Alpinestars, but a much better boot... I used to be a die hard Sidi Cross Fire guy and I had a chance to try them and wow they blow me away for the price and comfort.

Advrider

Last edited:

bmwf800gs

Adventurerider

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
How comfortable is it to walk in the AXO PRIME boots?
Also I have a narrow heel, are the AXO much better fit for a wider foot?
The Sidi cycling and Moto shoes and boots fit me well but are expensive.
So are you saying you like the Troy Lee's ADV Jacket (Blais) the best of all?
What do you like and not like about it?
Thank you.

Oni

Adventurer
Check out www.advrider.com

Motorcycle specific forum with lots of great information. Not sure where in the US you are, but there are several BIG motorcycle shops that have lots of gear to check out and try on.

I have an Acerbis Enduro Jacket and the BMW R2P and some KLIM pants. All well made. I also have an Acerbis Koerta pressure suit I sometimes wear. Best thing is to actually try some of the gear you listed on. What may be non restrictive to me may feel horribly restrictive to you or vice versa.

Go to the regional forums on ADVrider and meet some local riders. Chances are they will have lots of different gear to check out.

bmwf800gs

Oni

Did you try any of the Forcfield/T-pro armour? What did you think of the difference vs the Acerbis?
I tried and bought:
1. EXTREME HARNESS ADVENTURE
2. ACTION SHORTS
3. STRAP ON LEG ARMOUR
The few shops we have around here do not carry any quantity or quality in most gear. So it was nice that I could go the the D.C. Motorcycle Show and try stuff on along with talk with people like the guys at the BMG/British Motorcycle Gear booth that know what they are working with, enjoy the sport/activity and are willing to give some of their wisdom.
Most of the people in shops do not take any pride in their job and I go in with as much knowledge and sometimes more than what they have.
I did get some of the people working the show had nothing to offer in anyway shape or form. You had to find the diamond in the ruff. I did my research and knew what was going to be there, of interest to me so it would not be a waste of the $15 admission fee and $15 parking.
Most of the booths did not seem to offer any discount. A few did, the ones I bought from did.
Safe riding to you.

Oni

Adventurer
BM800

I did not try those other items you listed, but I believe the R2P jacket has similar slow rebound armor if I'm not mistaken. I bought the Acerbis Koerta based on a report on ADV by one of the Paris/Dakar competitors that had a bad off. He credits the Koerta with preventing more serious injuries. His name is Tim Hart I believe and Bugfnuts (or something like that on ADV). His report is a very good read!
I've had a couple of lowsides (thankfully not a big off yet) with the Koerta and the forearm hard plastic has some deep gouges on it from embedded rocks in the ground that would have been in my forearm had I not been wearing it. Didn't have a scratch! :victory:

I would try and meet some local riders. I ride with a great group in my area that I met in the regional forums on ADVrider. Between all of us we have tons of different gear and bikes, so it's nice to see the gear and hear real feedback from fellow riders (instead of salesmen).

Photo is me (pre knobbies) with Acerbis Jacket (sleeves removed) with Koerta pressure suit. Got stuck in a snow bank following a KTM950A that chewed up the snow. :bike_rider: Probably would have made it with knobs.

Attachments

• 263431765_2jWia-L.jpg
    263431765_2jWia-L.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz