Camp Chef Grill

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Any of you Overlanders use this at home or on the trail? What do you think of it compared to a "regular" grill set-up
image.php

cjrivera68

My dad has one and we use it primarily for hunting trips. We cook food for anywhere between 4 - 10 guys. It is a bit bulky and weight about 60 lbs. If you will not be cooking for 5+ people, then I a recommend going with something smaller. Compared to a regular grill, its just about the same thing as a small one.

Last edited:

Zelix

Adventurer
My dad has one as well. I can tell you it's great. It is rather heavy though. If you don't mind the weight then go for it, IMO.

I wanna get me one as soon as I find them back on sale around here.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I just bought a two burner Camp Chef, griddle, and bbq after the SHOT show. They gave me a real nice price:chef:

Can't wait to use it. I'll post some pics soon.

Ireland

Adventurer
I have used one of the three burners regularly, great stove great price, controlling the heat is finicky and its very easy to get it too hot
Great for large groups of people though

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I've been using a three burner Tahoe stove for about ten years now. I had the one-burner BBQ box for most of that time, before it finally rusted out (I do most of my camping on the beach).

I really like it. It produces lots of heat, and has lots of space for full-size pots. The grill is enough to cook for four people, or more if you are crafty. As people have said, it is tough to get a low, even heat out of it, I've tried the heat diffusers, but I'm still trying to get the hang of it. The other issue is that the burners are big, as are the gaps between the grill bars on the stove. This makes it tough to balance small things (like a coffee pot).

It's also really heavy.

Yeah, I know: It's tough to understand why I like it so much. But It has lots of heat, and lots of space. I wouldn't recommend using it if you want to be really mobile. But if your trips involve going and setting up a base camp, it's a great choice.

mk4

Observer
I use it, and some of their other items. They may not be built to last a lifetime, but they're built well enough. I don't use the their larger stoves, instead I use their dual 20k btu stove. It's about the same dimensions as my previous Coleman, but 2-3 inches taller. With the BBQ box, it's a great setup.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
camp chef beats the pants off the regular size stoves for my use. its got the power for wind and cold and the physical size for the cast iron i love so much.

brentbba

Explorer
Expedition 3x purchased years ago at Costco - had the 2 burner griddle included. I've purchased the 2 burner grill box. Love it. As stated, those burners are HOT and hard to control something you might just want to simmer. Grill and griddle both work great. Grill box is not quite as hot as my Weber gas grill at home, but it is very good. Nothing beats cast iron! Easy clean up and easy to keep conditioned.

As also stated, they are HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY, and the 3x is bulky. When cooking for the group of dads on scout outings it was perfect. Now for the most part, just me, I'd rather have a smaller 2 burner. Costco has the Expedition 2x right now for $99! Can't beat that price.

Also realize that they don't run off the small propane bottles. You've got to have a regular propane tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94