OME Vs. Bilstein

NM-Frontier

Explorer
What to you think of the ride hight adj Bilsteins vs the OME spring and strut set up. I am looking at new shock time for my 05 Frontier so I figure go for it and just up grade the whole suspension. Ride adj Bilsteins and Deaver AALs or the Medium duty OME kit. I don't do any type of serious, big rocks and mud off 4 wheeling but I do see the dirt fairly often.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
I would be inclined to go with OME because of their reputation, but I don't have any experience with them. Perhaps someone can chime in that has. I've had the stock bilsteins on my frontier for 80k miles and have been relatively pleased with them. They are due for a replacement though.

spencerswahoos

Observer
I don't know anything about the OME suspension, but I do have the Bilstein ride height adjustable shocks on the front of my Xterra. They are alot better over the stock suspension. I didn't adjust them for lift, instead I'm using a 2" PRG spacer. My only concern is that with my application is that I'm using my factory coils and they will probably compress some once I get all of the extra weight on my truck with the sliders and skids. Hopefully someone will chime in on the OME stuff for you. It seems to be fairly popular on different make rigs.

Hootowl

Observer
Your can't go wrong with either choice IMHO. Perhaps one difference is simply availability. Bilstein has a greater number of retail sources to choose from I think, at least here in the USA. This probably is not a significant difference though.

You would need to spend twice as much $$$ as what the Bilstein or OEM run in order to step up into something higher performance.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Right now I have not extra weight on the truck besides the camper set up. But skids and sliders are in the future. So I guess I need to figure out if the stock springs will be sufficient with sliders and maybe a bumper down the road. I just don't want to get the Bilsteins now and then need HD springs when I get the skids and sliders.

jpvm

Explorer
I am using an OME 4" lift kit with my Nissan Patrol since 30.000 miles almost all gravel and bad roads, I can say its a dream ride, 100 % advisable if you have OME springs and shocks available for your model. There are various spring rates also.

bat

Explorer
I have Ome springs with Bilstein shocks on my jeep and my buddy has Ome springs and shocks on his Tacoma. I think the Bilsteins just have a better ride and take up the small bumps better.

Hootowl

Observer
Right now I have not extra weight on the truck besides the camper set up. But skids and sliders are in the future. So I guess I need to figure out if the stock springs will be sufficient with sliders and maybe a bumper down the road. I just don't want to get the Bilsteins now and then need HD springs when I get the skids and sliders.

IMHO...

Shocks are not for supporting weight but controlling momentum that the suspension moderates. For supporting weight, look to the springs.

emu

From what I have read those Deaver AAL's tend to sag prematurely on Frontiers and Xterras.
OMU leaf pack seems like a better choice.

as far as the coilsprings are concerned OMEs tend to sag aswell.
approx. 1-1,5" on my front-HD ones within 20 00 km/1 year.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
My idea now is to use the Bilstein ride heights now then add the OME heavy spring down the road when I get a bumper. Has any one done this? I am not sure if the springs will be compatible with the struts, but the OME springs look like the same configure as the oem ones so I think this idea should work and render the best of both spring and struts. Let me know what you all think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94