Homemade Roofracks.

Toyotero

Explorer
Here is one that I made for a 1st gen 4Runner that I had.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/3728473-post9.html

My goal was to make it strong and low profile. I didn't want it over 4 inches tall from the roof.

I used 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/8 angle since it was inexpensive.

Deciding where to make the "feet" was challenging... especially when I drilled the front holes and discovered that the fiberglass was about 1/8 thick (it is about 1/2 in the back). I made the feet longer to sit over the front edge of the fiberglass roof where it is very strong.

One problem that I encountered was that it "hummed" on the highway at 60mph. Adding the lights created turbulence over the rack and eliminated the humming. I didn't notice much decrease in fuel economy.

The next time I make one, I'll use some aluminum parts like the ATV ramp idea someone posted above because all steel is heavy.

- Toyotero.

4R-bigbend

poseur-.jpg

Last edited:

sasaholic

Adventurer
what size expanded steel did you use and how strong does it seem? what are the distances between the runners that leaves the expanded unsuported. sorry for all the questions im just deciding if i want to try the lighter stuff and safe the weight and hope its stury enough or get the heavier gauge and suck up the added weight.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Here's a few pics of mine- based on an ARB made of 25 and 35mm electrical conduit.

Home made feet too with extra wide feet

Nissanrack003.jpg

Nissanrack005.jpg

Nissanrack012.jpg

Nissanrack008.jpg

and the obligotory pozer shot !

slip10.jpg

Wahiba Desert slip face

Mine hummed too when fitted so recently I added a front checker plate angled wind scoop, this stopped the hum completely

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
There are some great ideas on here. Another reason I love this forum

I wish I knew how to weld so I could fabricate my own roof rack. That welding stuff gets very expensive...very fast, when you're farming it out

Thanks for all the great ideas and pictures

4x4mike

Adventurer

I wish I knew how to weld so I could fabricate my own roof rack. That welding stuff gets very expensive...very fast, when you're farming it out

I only have 110v in my garage so I bought a cheap flux core welder at Harbor Frieght. I wanted to start welding and not go off the deep end and the machine only cost me $80 on sale. I can't say I've out grown it but I'm ready for the next step. Something with a little more juice and gas. I've already made my welding table, have all the tools and some experience so the investment is less of a chance now.

Toyotero

Explorer
Every Miles,

My advice to you would be to take a class at a local community college. I took a class in the local one's "Continuing Education" classes, so it was about half the cost of one that was for school credit, but it was the exact same class. I learned a lot, practiced a LOT and saw what a $2000 welder can do. My ability with my cheap unit improved substantially.

I do my welding on a Chicago Electric model MIG that is about 10 years old 220 volt unit. I'm surprised that it has held up well and continues to work very well (except for the powder coating on the front that got rust under ALL of it!). They aren't as good as a $500 Hobart, but you'd be surprised what you can do with a cheap welder and good prep work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98871

UK4X4,

I plan to make my next rack out of conduit. I bet it is as strong but much lighter than mine made of angle iron.

- Toyotero

davegonz

Explorer
J-Moose Aluminum ramp

I made this one for my old 80-series. I also used the Wildyoats (Johnny Lange) idea of using an aluminum ATV ramp. Very lightweight and mounted to the truck via Thule/Yakima style gutter clamps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have had several variations on my roof racks, all homemade. I also have made my own gutter mounts, they are fairly simple to make.

Here it is in its original form on my taco. Bolted directly to the topper with no issues over 2.5 years before I got rid of the truck.

SS100282.jpg

SS100283.jpg

SS100278.jpg

Here, I had to cut out ond side and the rear of the rack to fit my new RTT on top.

DSCN0217.jpg

Fast forward to my XJ, I cut the original rack, lengthened it, and added a small front basket. I also made my own gutter mounts. I have had 600+ pounds on it with no issues.

DSCN1252.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

View of the gutter mounts.

DSCN0406.jpg

front basket will hold 7 jerry Cans etc.

DSCN0604.jpg

It also holds Christmas lights pretty well... :D

100_4619.jpg

~ Stump

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles