PICS of your bike on your vehicle

Katoomer

Everyone post your pics of your bike strapped to your rig. Will make a nice thread and I can get some ideas of how to do mine. I have a 4-runner, a ktm 525 and a DR-Z 125 that somehow I need to transport and still be able to get down the trail. :victory:

barlowrs

Explorer
Well, not an expo bike, but its a bike with two wheels non the less:

4620_745944154831_6017928_42643776_1647385_n.jpg

4620_745944129881_6017928_42643771_5091230_n.jpg

I have installed aditional D rings to the front bed mounts becuase I do not trust the tacoma track rail thingy to hold them up.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Cheap Harbor Freight motorcycle carrier. I added straps from the ends of the carrier to my spare tire, to keep it from wiggling so much (it wiggled enough to give me handling problems on the Interstate). Suzuki DR350 plated off-road bike (260-ish pounds). December 27th, in Big Bend..

756806876_K3pGm-XL.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
I think, for me at least, the answer is probably to pull a trailer. For two bikes, a trailer seems like a no-brainer to me, although I have seen somewhere a two-bike hitch carrier designed for two light bikes bikes like yours. You'll want/need airbags or helper springs on the rear axle of your rig, and having that much weight that far behind the hitch WILL affect your handling considerably. That said, it sure is convenient to not have to pull a trailer, and if your setup is robust enough you should be able to do some light/gentle off-road with it to get to your campsite and back. I'm still new to all of this and just scratching the surface of figuring this stuff out.

John

Katoomer

Nice pics keep postin',

I would like to stay away from my trailer (regular 5x10), I have an '03 Chevy 4x4 w/factory locker, longbed, but it's nowhere near as good offroad as the 4Runner and it breaks on occasion, several times now (alternator, dropped driveshaft, speed sensor went out-stuck truck in 1st gear to get home, now its sitting in the yard with a front hub out, and has 74k miles). I could sell the 4runner and get a tacoma but would never find one with low miles on it, have had the runner since 13k miles and still only have 60k. But the truck is only worth maybe $5k.

I'm looking at getting the MX Hauler, have heard a few good things about but is expensive and the bike still hangs off the back a good distance, might as well get the harbor freight deal.

Either way, what do I do with the 125? Throw it on the roof? 176 pounds. I'm not really concerned with scratching my 4Runner, but the weight would be a concern, top heavy -but some guys really pack down up there also. I wouldnt really want it on front either.

Does anyone have the MX Hauler? What kind of departure angles are you getting?
Some pics I found of it - not mine

ultimatemxhauler.jpg

UltimateMX2.jpg

scarysharkface

Explorer
There are a couple of shots of the MX Hauler at the beginning and end of the video here:

http://www.ridetherock.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4445

And here's more of the Harbor Freight carrier:

757460017_3Hdgf-XL.jpg

756793876_wa5wZ-XL.jpg

I recall seeing somewhere a small dirtbike (full-size, not a kid's bike) being on a roof rack. I would think that if you distributed the weight, it could be done without much more hassle than carrying a couple of 10-speeds..

4Runner is a great vehicle. I had an '89 with the 4-banger and a 5-speed when I lived in Alaska.

John

I recall seeing somewhere a small dirtbike (full-size, not a kid's bike) being on a roof rack. I would think that if you distributed the weight, it could be done without much more hassle than carrying a couple of 10-speeds..

4Runner is a great vehicle. I had an '89 with the 4-banger and a 5-speed when I lived in Alaska.

John

I recall seeing an aussie rally bike strapped to the top of a truck... in australia...

jesusgatos

Explorer
I try to avoid hauling my bikes as much as possible. All our dirt bikes have license plates and when I was living in Bend, we'd just ride from the house. But these days I'm living on the road and as soon as my motorhome is done, I'll be hauling my bikes in this trailer I built.

M353_trailer_02.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Bought the hitch hauler at the local bike shop, then sourced a slightly narrower piece of extruded 'U' aluminum at the local metal supplier to build the ramp. When not in use the ram stores in the track of the main hauler between the wheels of the bike. Works decent. I rarely use it as the misses and usually head out together and we resort to a small trailer to move both bikes.

Attachments

• KTM 006 (Medium).jpg
    KTM 006 (Medium).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 227

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Here's my KLR on the back of my Pajero. The carrier is the cheap variety, from "Princess Auto" (Canada). I'd imagine its similar to the Harbour Freight unit. I have airbags to level it out. My bike goes just fine down the highway, but this unit is good when bringing the bike to the shop for a tuneup during the winter, etc., since I don't have a pickup, and sold my utility trailer...

n537117024_2571611_8860.jpg

I'll remove the spare, so I can get the bike a little closer to the truck, and use the spare mount as an additional strap point. <captain obvious>I wouldn't recommend this type of carrier unless you have a really good, frame mounted hitch </captain obvious>. This bike is at the weight limit of what I'd feel comfortable hauling on this rig.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Rack just on the back of the truck itself when we're not towing the Glamper

475864497_LieVy-L-1.jpg

475862691_vreBq-L-1.jpg

Bike on the back of the camper. You can see the turnbuckles we use to pull out the wobble from only having one hitch in the center.

If I could re-do the whole thing, I'd have two receivers so both ends had steel under them, this would elminate all wobble

475862748_FZpsS-L-1.jpg

What the carrier looks like without the bike on it. The cargo thing behind here the bike sits gives me space to stand on due to my shortness in height, and also holds extra gear and the ramp

Probably one of the best investments we got for the bike was our Dirtbag Cover. Keeps the bike looking brand new and even when its off the rack, I just throw the cover over it to keep the dirt and bird poop off of it since we dont have a garage

475867330_52bgb-L-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste