newby to bikes, what to do

bftank

Explorer
new to motorcycles, i am 6'1" and 260 lbs, traded some guy a chevy steering column for an '81 honda cb750.

is this going to good bike for me suspension wise?

i am a mechanically able individual and the bike came with some issues i still need to address. it is partially in pieces because according to the alcoholic i got it from the tank rusted out and clogged the carbs so he rebuilt the 4 carbs and coated the inside of the tank, ten years ago and put it back together only to find that some vaccuum lines were hooked up incorrectly and it wouldn't run. when i got it the gas tank and battery box were removed and in a box. the tank looked like it had a fresh coat of white gunk in it. and according to the honda service manual all vaccuum lines looked to be hooked up correctly.

should i just put it back together and see what happens? or put it back together and take it to a honda shop?

Katoomer

sounds like a project for sure. I doubt anything from '81 will have much suspension. I assume/hope its a street bike so shouldnt need a lot of suspension. You should be able to get new/heavier springs installed. I would have someone set up the suspension for you. You could also source out some different forks or rear suspension from something newer, etc... Bikes are great that way.

I've always recommended to new riders to go get a cheap dirt bike and learn how to ride in the dirt before venturing out on the deathways. Riding dirt will teach you how to handle an out of control bike, emergency manuevers, etc... Then you'll at least have a fighting chance against the hordes of idiots with a burger in one hand, a knee on the wheel, a phone on the shoulder and smacking the kid in the back seat, doing 80mph in a suburban.
Get a dirt bike and enjoy your project that you can ride later!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
sounds like a project for sure. I doubt anything from '81 will have much suspension. I assume/hope its a street bike so shouldnt need a lot of suspension. You should be able to get new/heavier springs installed. I would have someone set up the suspension for you. You could also source out some different forks or rear suspension from something newer, etc... Bikes are great that way.

I've always recommended to new riders to go get a cheap dirt bike and learn how to ride in the dirt before venturing out on the deathways. Riding dirt will teach you how to handle an out of control bike, emergency manuevers, etc... Then you'll at least have a fighting chance against the hordes of idiots with a burger in one hand, a knee on the wheel, a phone on the shoulder and smacking the kid in the back seat, doing 80mph in a suburban.
Get a dirt bike and enjoy your project that you can ride later!

I couldn't agree more! I can't imagine going thru the learning curve on pavement with Buicks and Volvos. Well, I guess I can imagine because I've seen friends do it...and it was a little unerving to say the least.

I do think that once you get that CB750 back together and tweaked out correctly, those things are bullet proof and reliable as a good mule.

bftank

Explorer
thanks for the replies guys,

i have no intentions of learning to ride around cars, i can't afford a dirt bike but i have got a friend that might be willing to teach me. we do have plenty of low usage country roads out here that might work once the honda is going.

i am glad the honda is considered a well built bike. i'd like to use it as a work commuter for my nine mile drive to work instead of firing up the big block or cummins.maybe set it up with a rack or bags to carry my food and some slightly knobby tires to handle the gravel roads better. subtle mods. maybe go on daytrips with the wife to do some hiking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier