An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
After seeing and driving this rig I became a member in my own fan-club
:wings:

I drove about 500mls on-road last week and just 120mls off-road as I just picked up the rig due to a prolonged overseas job.

I will be spending most of this on a test arena and have a few changes to do to the trailing arms.

On road there´s no noise from the portals and the car is not behaving like a Land Rover anymore, which is in probably also because of the reprogrammed ECU from ALLISPORT and the Proflex shocks.

Off-road the rig isn´t too bad. Pretty easy to handle (a friends wife didn´t want to get out after doing a few rounds on the course this morning).

Oil temperatures are low as expected but I will install a thermometer to monitor them.

With the wheels I have now gained 6.57" (167mm) underneath the diff housing and 8.07" (205mm) at the chassis.

So long,

Robert

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Robert - WOW!

This is sooooo weird. My wife was just saying that she'd like us to get a Defender as our next ExPo truck. I started thinking about what I'd like and decided that it should be a D130CC with the 300Tdi and PORTALs!

I didn't know if portals existed - but I guess they do. I have to read the entire thread. Where did you find them? Did you build them? Can I get a set????:drool:

Please post more pics. I'm a big fan too! :bowdown:

Cheers,
Mark

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Just read the whole thread - wow.

Answered all of my own questions. Now all I have to do is get some money into my bank account.

Great build - looking forward to the rest of it.

Oilworker

Explorer
Minor additions will be made to Stage 1 (portals and axles) this week and then Stage 2 will commence after the Dresden-Breslau.

Hopefully Stage 2 will be completed until mid-July.

I´ll keep you updated :smiley_drive:

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, the Dresden-Breslau is over and it was a great opportunity to test the axles and setup at high speeds on a variety of terrains...

4679637.jpg

4679639.jpg

4687807.jpg

Now it´s back to the shop for the new roll cage and utility rack...

4724841.jpg

4724843.jpg

...I just fitted the old Safety Defices Full External from my 110SW to give the guys at the shop an idea of what I want and to make it easier to take the dimensions for the utility rack.

Next week we will also install the newly developed, fully sealed and waterproof winch.
The next extensive testing of stage 2 is scheduled for mid August.

Stage 2 will include:
Winch / completed suspension (I await the custom trailing arms from RoverTracks), adjustable stearing damper and progressive +1.5" coil springs / roll cage & utillity-rack / 4-source triple-battery & charging system (currently under development)

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Why should I be the only one seeing all the advantages of portals?

To whom it may concern, these bolt-on portals are available and can be fitted to just about any car currently deployed.
They can also be installed under protected vehicles and by doing so increase the IED blast survivability of the car and the crew dramatically!
The quickest is to order a reinforced axle with the portals as it´ll then only take you about a days work to swap the axles and be back on the road....

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Stage 2 is commencing....dropped the truck at family´s workshop, left my sketches and will see what they can do later today....

4731000.jpg

07 Elephant

Adventurer
To answer your question. You're not the only one who's sees the advantages of portals. :drool:

Did your rig have ABS before the portals? And if so did you lose ABS after the portals or were you able to keep ABS?

Looking forward to stage 2.

Oilworker

Explorer
I didn´t have ABS before and havn´t yet (never wanted), but it´s possible to install an ABS system with the portals.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
I will need to get a complete list of parts required and what can and cannot be done but this will take time. Long term my rig will hopefully have portals. A few folks on our 120 site have done SAS conversions but they lost all the electronics and have dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. I want to get all the benefits of portals and not lose any of my safety electronics. My rig is still my daily driver.

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, get the list together and I will have a chat with Wolfgang while I am t his shop next week.

As development on this product will hardly ever stop and a few things published are a step or two behind todays setup already we´ll see what can be done.

The next, most dramatic moment will be Stage 4 of the project when I´ll find out if it´s possible to run a LR 130 Defender below 9L/100km....that hybrid thing and it´s financing are currently realy giving me a headache :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94