Thread: An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker,

Dresden-Breslau Rallye, WOW, I can not tell you just how much I would LOVE to get to do this! Wow I sure am jealous! I would do this in a heartbeat. Can I come? Can I ride very quietly in the back or something?

As for the portaltek guys, they have been that price for a very long time. I am assuming your price is for a plug and play axle. My prices are JUST for the protals, so you take the axles you already have and mount the portal to it. Am I mistaken, or is that not what you did with the killeraxles? OR were the killer axles including a brand new axle?

Another nice thing about the portaltek guys is that they build with the intent of competition rock crawling, so theirs are built with the intent running large tires with lots of power, unlike the Unimog and Volvo axles (they have low torque and small engines, so not as much pressure put on the axle as would be in the case of a jeep with 44's and a v8 (for instance)

Quote Originally Posted by 07 Elephant View Post
    When you're ready I'd really like to hear and see what you have planned for the passenger cabin and dash board. Oh and also what are you going to do to the truck bed area? Such a sweet build. It's nice to see someone do it right from the beginning.
    Whole-heartedly agreed!

Well come over and drive my truck from camp to camp if you like?

The Portal-Tec bolt-ons arenīt that much inside the wheel, arnīt they?
    And they have, as I understand it less oil inside, which is rather important when driving long distances and guess since when they have that "Expedition" section?
    But hey, itīs a decision you have to make and you really have to know where you want to go with your portals.
    Beware of the brakes you fit, you will want some sealed calipers otherwise youīll be taking them apart after every play in the mud.

What I am going to do with the interior and tray, well thatīs simple.
    Cubby Box goes as thatīs where I will install the battery kill switches and the CTIS controls.
    The original dashboard stays, but will be covered by an aluminum panel that receives some extra gauges, a Toughbook mount, driver and co-driver GPS, a tripmaster and 2 LED reading lights....I guess thatīll be it, except for the radios that again go up on the ceiling.
    Front seats will be again replaced by bucket seats and twin battery under the driver seat stays.

Full external roll cage (Safety Devices) and a utility rack for the tray (like used on the MWIK...

...as I have to store two spare tires, recovery gear and spare parts and an external fuel and a water tank....

Thatīs about it and weīll comence as time and money permits....

So long,

Robert
    Last edited by Oilworker; 02-26-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    Rallyewerk...still just a dream of a dreamer but it may just work! Who knows! Thanx to all of you out there! THANX!

Find images from offroad events and great car builds on my photo site: http://rallyewerk.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Oilworker,

Another nice thing about the portaltek guys is that they build with the intent of competition rock crawling, so theirs are built with the intent running large tires with lots of power, unlike the Unimog and Volvo axles (they have low torque and small engines, so not as much pressure put on the axle as would be in the case of a jeep with 44's and a v8 (for instance)

!
    Portal Tek portals are Volvo copies. The same housing, same gear size and same ratio and you have to mount the axles upside down to have the right turning direction.

[QUOTE=Oilworker;573161]About Portal Tec I wonder how they got so cheap, so quick now. I got a quote fro them, early last year, for 2 G3 axles with portals and lockers and was nearly hospitalized when reading the 24,000.00+ US$ price tag, and that was without shipping and tax!!![QUOTE]

That is the whole axle with Ford 9" lockers..... For just the portal boxes with brakes, it is around $9000 USD, so about the same cost. Obviously, the housing would need a lot of work to get them attached. All prices are on their website.

Closer price but if you have to flip the axles to go the right direction (forward) will not that cause trouble with the oiling in the diffs? Most notably slinging oil to the pinion bearings?
    Cheers!

Keith
    04 Dodge 3500 4X4 CUMMINS POWERED!
    RT1 '97 Disco SD (on steroids) Sold
    RT2 '97 Disco XD (built to rock)
    RT110 '85 110 (Getting bigger, badder and better)
    '95 RRC LWB (Sadly it is sold )
    '67 S2a 109 SW (someday I'll finish it) Sold...

Silly question, but why not the axles out of a H-1? They are not only portals, but independent suspension. Swapping "half shafts" is not that hard..and we rarely break them...and we beat on the poor trucks.

You could certainly build them into a different truck but in the end it might cost as much as a used H1 to do it..
    Would be cool though.. Independent suspension is starting to come around.
    Cheers!

Keith
    04 Dodge 3500 4X4 CUMMINS POWERED!
    RT1 '97 Disco SD (on steroids) Sold
    RT2 '97 Disco XD (built to rock)
    RT110 '85 110 (Getting bigger, badder and better)
    '95 RRC LWB (Sadly it is sold )
    '67 S2a 109 SW (someday I'll finish it) Sold...

The ATV industry sure has adopted it.
    -Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
    Silly question, but why not the axles out of a H-1? They are not only portals, but independent suspension. Swapping "half shafts" is not that hard..and we rarely break them...and we beat on the poor trucks.
    Well, if you ever have a nice beaten H1 out there, that you donīt know where to leave, please drop me a line and Iīll come and pick it up!

Other than the fact that I once fell deeply in love with the battered H1 from a Marines Unit and would just love to own one, too, I could maybe pick up a set of "axles" to think about fitting under my 110, which now has no axles left...

So long,

Robert
    Rallyewerk...still just a dream of a dreamer but it may just work! Who knows! Thanx to all of you out there! THANX!

Find images from offroad events and great car builds on my photo site: http://rallyewerk.photoshelter.com

If you really wanted to post up a pic or two more

Perhaps some shots of the Rhino in full flex and stuff. Do you have access to ramps that some shops use to demontrate flex? Or some rocks?

Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast