An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
I guess you refer to Saturday.

I was asked to go into the aren that afternoon and drove over to the entrance early. Had the truck on the Trekk stand while I waited and for the later afternoon as it was too crowded to drive back.

I will be in Peterborough next, though.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Saw the truck briefly - just didn't have enough time as was too busy.

Nicely put together. A few issues for legal use in the UK but TUV approval will sort that.

Like the winch - how does Jim Marsden at Gigglepin feel about the competition? Are Tibus winches going to be cheaper (and longer lived) than his? Good to see you are using the Bow2, nice motor. You might want to look at Roguevogues air freespool when it comes out, it's stronger than the Cheviot one. Like the motor brace.

When looking at winches it worth looking at these http://www.red-winches.com/ Figures are for the standard pumps. Superb build quality.

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi,

well the truck has TÜV and I guess that an MOT should be possible, too, why not? Which issues did you see?

I don´t know how Jim feels about the competition but I was glad that I finally met him in person and could have a brief chat, he was very busy.

The winch was only installed as "demo" as mine wasn´t ready in time for my departure, so we took this one of Tibus´ Rallye Defender 110 and quickly installed it.

He shot this clip while I was there: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfmCPAyPf0Y"]YouTube- winde 020[/ame]

Thanx for the advice regarding the freespool, I´ll forward that to Wolfgang Tibus.

Next week we´ll connect mine properly and then I will take the truck offroad again. I will also take off a bit of rope, as I now have almost 80m of 11mm on the drum.

Regarding the price. Well Tibus calculated it (without rope) at approx. € 3.000,- (which would be about GBP 2.600,-) plus tax and p&p.

So long,

Robert

revor

Explorer
Checkout the Rear Axles under the Current WMIK:sombrero:

I tried to get a set of the Blendo's late last year but they wouldn't give them to me for my price...

You like the Blendo Wheels?

Well wait until you see the first WMIK on those portals later this year :wings::wings:

Oilworker

Explorer
Keith, I can´t move without meeting people knowing you or, like with Ricardo, using your components :Wow1:
I like the WMIKs and hope that I will soon see one with the portals for trials :wings:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Unless the conversion has CE registration as a mod for the Defender it won't meet h C&U rules in the UK. No worries until you have an accident that involves an other. Then you will be run through the mill and may end up needing soap on a rope so you can stay fresh in the showers. UK rules are great - more grey areas than a pair of 20 year old boxer shorts. Places like Spain will laso not be too happy if you have an accident and hurt someone... But Spanish Prisons are quite nice compared to the UK

Mind you the same goes for overloading roof racks, non homologated mods etc ect etc so no biggie really

revor

Explorer
Keith, I can´t move without meeting people knowing you or, like with Ricardo, using your components :Wow1:
I like the WMIKs and hope that I will soon see one with the portals for trials :wings:

I can't say I know exactly what Ricardo are up to at the moment, there is a prototype front 44 over there awiting fitting up. They're taking their time but perhaps the 44 is destined for portals! The design of the rear axle was to duplicate all of the Salisbury mounting, including mounting the Stub axles, fitting the portals should be simple like your truck!

Wedge35

Saw the truck briefly - just didn't have enough time as was too busy.

Nicely put together. A few issues for legal use in the UK but TUV approval will sort that.

Like the winch - how does Jim Marsden at Gigglepin feel about the competition? Are Tibus winches going to be cheaper (and longer lived) than his? Good to see you are using the Bow2, nice motor. You might want to look at Roguevogues air freespool when it comes out, it's stronger than the Cheviot one. Like the motor brace.

When looking at winches it worth looking at these http://www.red-winches.com/ Figures are for the standard pumps. Superb build quality.

New to here and considering buying a freespool but not sure which one to go for, just know I cant afford a Gigglepin. So... as you've made the above statement can you explain how it's stronger and how much stronger the RogueVogue freespool is over the cheviot one? I've seen the cheviot one on a truck and was impressed but the other one appears to be cheaper-hence my interest

cheers

07 Elephant

Adventurer
Since this is Roberts thread he can speak for himself here but I don't think he wants to clutter this portal axle thread with a discussion about the different winches etc. So you might want to start a new thread.

Oilworker

Explorer
Oh, I don´t mind, just as long as it doesn´t get out of hand.
After all it´s not just about portals but about a expedition truck....on portals :wings:

Oilworker

Explorer
Just discovered a downside of the portal conversion on my Puma 130CC this week :(

The guy at my trusted workshop is a bit smaller than I am and had a few problems to do the repairs this week....

100728rk_PL03087_800x630.jpg

I really hope I am around next week when he´s going for a ride :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne